Alaska Cruise Questions????

Old January 5th, 2004, 04:13 AM
Michael Graham

Default Alaska Cruise Questions????

Hi all

I am posting once again, as I have a few questions regarding Alaskan
cruises. I think I have narrowed my choice down to Princess in June
(based on a recommendation of a friend who has been two of their
cruises). I was hoping to do a cruise-tour, but I can not be gone that
long (I can only be gone for 11 days and most of these tours last at
least 11 days not including an extra day before or after the cruise).

Well, in any event here are my questions. I was wondering what
recommendations people have on ships Coral/Island and Sun/Dawn. I do
understand that the Coral/Island ships have larger state rooms than do
Sun/Dawn. Other than that what would make one ship better than the
other?

In addition I am wondering what type day or overnight trips there are
out of Anchorage. Does Princess offer anything that does not last 5
days (see note above regarding this)? If not what other companies
should I look at?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
M. Graham
Old January 5th, 2004, 10:07 AM
Charles

In article , Michael
Graham wrote:

Well, in any event here are my questions. I was wondering what
recommendations people have on ships Coral/Island and Sun/Dawn.

Coral/Island have very good observation areas. Also a covered pool. I
think Coral/Island would be preferable to Sun/Dawn.

--
Charles
Old January 5th, 2004, 12:35 PM
sheree

plan the land trip on your own vs the cruise-tour so you can do what you'd
like to do in the time you have

ie fly in, rent a car, head to denali, stay in anchorage, head down via
train to seward etc

--
Sheree

om...

Old January 5th, 2004, 01:06 PM
JLeary256

the Sun/ Dawn have supurb front deck viewing and these ships sail on the off
day of Monday- so sometimes flights are more available. These ships also in
the past have offered significant bargains- I paid $475 inside 9-1-03, $500
on a previous trip. As for trips out of Anchorage- areas are vast and
unfortunately you don't want to spend all your time in transit getting
somewhere. My suggestion would be to rent a car and drive back to Seward-
spend at least 1 overnight and consider hiking Exit Glacier and taking a Kenai
fjords boat trip (at least 6 hours on the water is necessary to get out and see
significant wildlife). Plenty of stops on the Seward Highway. You don't have
enough time for Denali Park if you don't have 4 full travel days. You really
need 2 overnights in the area. But with a rental car you could head north to
Talkeetna- consider a summit flight of McKinley, overnight, stop at Eklutna
for a spirit house tour, Wasilla sled dog headquarters, MICA tours for cheap
Glacier Trekking, Eagle River Nature center, spending time on the Arm etc etc
etc. Request the Anchorage Visitor guide www.anchorage.net with the short
time you will see much more on your own than with any tour. Spend at least a
day in Anchorage- a great touring city, rent bikes for the Coastal trail. Stay
in B&B's for more contact with natives.
Old January 5th, 2004, 04:09 PM
Cruising Chrissy

On 4 Jan 2004 20:13:44 -0800, (Michael Graham) wrote:

Hi all

I am posting once again, as I have a few questions regarding Alaskan
cruises.

The Not So Fine Art Of Google
http://makeashorterlink.com/?E29A321E6
Old January 5th, 2004, 05:17 PM
Tobie Gerbrandt

I don't know about the others, but,on our Christmas cruise on the Island
Princess we discovered a small, forward viewing area on decks 10 and 11
without the blue glass screen that surrounded the upper decks. Deck 7
(Promenade) would also be great for viewing the Glaciers, but does not have
forward and aft viewing.

Tobieon an Island in the Pacific

"Charles" wrote in message
d...

Old January 6th, 2004, 02:27 AM
HHH

Michael
One consideration.
Go on Princess on a 7 day out of Seattle round trip. Spend a little extra
on shore excursions and save some money.
Take a tour to Vancourver, or the island before or after the cruise, or go
to Baniff.

The Coral and The Island Princess are great, we went o the Coral. The
atrium pool and sauna area is just awesome and designed for Alaska.
Great hangout area, reading area also.

Troy

Old January 6th, 2004, 01:16 PM
JLeary256

One consideration.
Go on Princess on a 7 day out of Seattle round trip. Spend a little extra
on shore excursions and save some money.
Take a tour to

The problem on the Seattle Princess cruises is too much outside passage sailing
for my preference. I want as much as I can get.