747 upper deck: bulkhead or not

Old September 13th, 2003, 02:31 PM
te

Default 747 upper deck: bulkhead or not

Does anyone have suggestions on whether reserving a bulkhead isle seat
in the upper deck is a good idea. I am average height. I do like it
upstairs, but never tried the bulkhead seats there. I wonder how the
advantage of no one reclining in front vs. the potential disadvantage
of limited legroom (or is it?) that bulkhead may or may not offer.
Plus, what is the potential of the noise from the lav. traffic?

Any thoughts/comments would be great.
Old September 13th, 2003, 06:50 PM
Miguel Cruz

te wrote:
Does anyone have suggestions on whether reserving a bulkhead isle seat
in the upper deck is a good idea. I am average height. I do like it
upstairs, but never tried the bulkhead seats there. I wonder how the
advantage of no one reclining in front vs. the potential disadvantage
of limited legroom (or is it?) that bulkhead may or may not offer.
Plus, what is the potential of the noise from the lav. traffic?

Depends on the airline but usually the legroom is awful.

miguel
Site remodeled 10-Sept-2003: Hundreds of new photos, easier navigation.
Old September 13th, 2003, 07:31 PM
mrtravel

Miguel Cruz wrote:
te wrote:

Does anyone have suggestions on whether reserving a bulkhead isle seat
in the upper deck is a good idea. I am average height. I do like it
upstairs, but never tried the bulkhead seats there. I wonder how the
advantage of no one reclining in front vs. the potential disadvantage
of limited legroom (or is it?) that bulkhead may or may not offer.
Plus, what is the potential of the noise from the lav. traffic?

Depends on the airline but usually the legroom is awful.

My only time in upper deck was a CO flight in Business Class (not BF
then) to Paris... Pleny of legroom

Old September 13th, 2003, 07:52 PM
Miguel Cruz

mrtravel wrote:
Miguel Cruz wrote:
te wrote:
Does anyone have suggestions on whether reserving a bulkhead isle seat
in the upper deck is a good idea. I am average height. I do like it
upstairs, but never tried the bulkhead seats there. I wonder how the
advantage of no one reclining in front vs. the potential disadvantage of
limited legroom (or is it?) that bulkhead may or may not offer. Plus,
what is the potential of the noise from the lav. traffic?

Depends on the airline but usually the legroom is awful.

My only time in upper deck was a CO flight in Business Class (not BF
then) to Paris... Pleny of legroom

Ah, I've only done it in coach, where it invariably seems to be a
claustrophobic version of the main cabin (ceiling closing in overhead).

Old September 14th, 2003, 12:12 AM
Whytoi

In article , te
wrote:

Does anyone have suggestions on whether reserving a bulkhead isle seat
in the upper deck is a good idea. I am average height. I do like it
upstairs, but never tried the bulkhead seats there. I wonder how the
advantage of no one reclining in front vs. the potential disadvantage
of limited legroom (or is it?) that bulkhead may or may not offer.
Plus, what is the potential of the noise from the lav. traffic?

Any thoughts/comments would be great.

You get the smell and sounds of a flushing toilet. Your choice!

The exit row seat is a much wiser choice.
Old September 15th, 2003, 01:18 AM
James Robinson

Miguel Cruz wrote:

te wrote:

Does anyone have suggestions on whether reserving a bulkhead isle seat
in the upper deck is a good idea.

Depends on the airline but usually the legroom is awful.

It's interesting that you phrase it that way. I am tall, and usually
prefer the bulkhead seats specifically because of their knee room. I
can't normally stretch out in other seats, since my legs won't go under
the seat ahead, so I at least prefer not to have to battle with reclined
seatbacks banging into my knees and laptop. I had a very pleasant flight
from SYD to LAX on Qantas in an upstairs bulkhead seat, which I would
choose again.

I know shorter people who prefer other seats, since they can't stretch
out at the bulkheads. I guess it depends on what you are looking for.
Old September 15th, 2003, 02:17 AM
Miguel Cruz

James Robinson wrote:
Miguel Cruz wrote:
Depends on the airline but usually the legroom is awful.

It's interesting that you phrase it that way. I am tall, and usually
prefer the bulkhead seats specifically because of their knee room. I
can't normally stretch out in other seats, since my legs won't go under
the seat ahead, so I at least prefer not to have to battle with reclined
seatbacks banging into my knees and laptop. I had a very pleasant flight
from SYD to LAX on Qantas in an upstairs bulkhead seat, which I would
choose again.

I know shorter people who prefer other seats, since they can't stretch out
at the bulkheads. I guess it depends on what you are looking for.

Not sure how tall you are, but at 6'5" I can't deal with those seats at all.
My knee is bent more than 90 degrees the entire flight, which gets really
tiring. In normal seats I can work my feet underneath and rest them on the
metal stop under the front of the seat ahead of me, which makes it quite
easy to sleep.