10 day Germany itinerary

Old June 27th, 2005, 03:03 PM
Juliana L Holm

Default 10 day Germany itinerary

I'm going to Germany for 9 weeks in the fall. While most of this is taken
up by an 8 week german language class at the Goethe Institut; I have weekends,
as well as a week at the end, free. My husband is joining me for the last
10 days. He's flying into Cologne (I will be studying in Bonn at that point)
and out of Hanover (we have friends in Goslar).

I'm going mostly unplanned; I'll decide what I'm doing weekends and
afternoons when I'm there, and I will of course spend lots of time in my
base cities of Dresden (4 weeks) and Bonn (4 weeks)

BUT we've got this portion of the trip at the end I'd like to pre-plan,
largely because it is so short.

Caveat: This is by no means supposed to be an all-inclusive "Germany" trip.
We've been to Germany before and we will be many times again, since I am going
to a great effort to truly learn the language. The last week is also focused on
what my husband wants to go. I have 7 1/2 weeks to do what I want to do, after
all. He is interested in learning more about Martin Luther, sights related to
Bach, historical sights other than those related to World War II (we've done
a lot of WWII history in previous trips) and he wants to visit a small
Christmas Market, probably the one in Weimar. He also loves castles.

Day 1, 11/23 (arrival day) Bonn, me to class
Day 2 11/24 Bonn/Cologne, me to class
Day 3 11/25 My husband to Mosel Valley, me to class
Day 4 11/26 My husband in Bonn, me to last class. When class closes, we travel
in the direction of Eisenach. Sleep somewhere between Bonn and Eisenach.
Day 5 11/27 Eisenach, Bachaus, Wartburg Castle, sleep in Erfurt
Day 6 11/28 Early drive to Erfurt, visit Erfurt, sleep in Erfurt
Day 7 11/29 Rise early, drive to Leipzig, tour Leipzig, sleep Leipzig
Day 8 11/30 Early morning drive to Lutherstadt-Wittenburg, sleep Leipzig
Day 9 12/1 Early morning rise drive to Goslar, stopping at Wernigerode on
the way. Arrive Goslar for afternoon mine tour, Woltingerode distillery tour
Day 10 12/2 Goslar, Altstadt tour, Christmas Markt.
Day 11 12/3 Goslar, Alstadt, Museums, and Christmas Markt
Day 12 12/4 Fly home.

Distance from mapquest seem to be Bonn-Eisenach 3 1/2 hours, Eisenach-Erfurt,
45 minutes, Erfurt-Leipzig 1 hour 45 min, Leipzig-Wittenburg 1 hour 5 min,
Leipzig Goslar 4 hours.

Does this seem reasonable? I am aware I am packing a lot in 7 days, but that is
OK. In Erfurt I think we want to stay at the Augustinerkloster, but can
folks recommend places (inexpensive) to stay in Leipzig? We have hostel cards,
is the youth hostel a good choice? We are habitual early risers so driving
early works well for us.

Thanks all.

Julie

--
Julie
**********
Old June 30th, 2005, 10:24 AM
Martin Bienwald

Juliana L Holm wrote:

Day 9 12/1 Early morning rise drive to Goslar, stopping at Wernigerode on
the way. Arrive Goslar for afternoon mine tour, Woltingerode distillery tour
Day 10 12/2 Goslar, Altstadt tour, Christmas Markt.
Day 11 12/3 Goslar, Alstadt, Museums, and Christmas Markt

You might consider visiting Quedlinburg and its very special Christmas market
"Advent in den Höfen" which is held on Dec 3/4. See
http://www.quedlinburg.de/neu/deutsc...s/advent.shtml (in German).
Quedlinburg is one of these places routinely underestimated by tourists.

Distance from mapquest seem to be Bonn-Eisenach 3 1/2 hours, Eisenach-Erfurt,
45 minutes, Erfurt-Leipzig 1 hour 45 min, Leipzig-Wittenburg 1 hour 5 min,
Leipzig Goslar 4 hours.

Does this seem reasonable?

I think so. You didn't pack more into one week than I tend to do when visiting
foreign countries. :-)

.... Martin
Old June 30th, 2005, 12:56 PM
Juliana L Holm

Martin Bienwald wrote:

You might consider visiting Quedlinburg and its very special Christmas market
"Advent in den Höfen" which is held on Dec 3/4. See
http://www.quedlinburg.de/neu/deutsc...s/advent.shtml (in German).
Quedlinburg is one of these places routinely underestimated by tourists.

Alas because of our friends, and the plan to fly out of Hanover, we're rather
locked into the last three days in Goslar. I am considering spending a
weekend in Quedlingburg during Oktober, when I'll be based out of Dresden
for my class. I've been there before, though only for an afternoon, and want
to return. But it might have to be another trip.

I think so. You didn't pack more into one week than I tend to do when visiting
foreign countries. :-)

Yes. Well I am hoping that the slower, longer trip before will give at least
me a chance for a somewhat less rushed view of Germany. I arrive Sept 30,
stayin Berlin until Oktober 4, Spend 4 weeks in Dresden studying at the Goethe
Institut, then travel to Bonn, spending 4 weeks at the Goethe Institut there
from November 2 to 26.

Thanks,

Julie
--