Travel Card for London Underground and buses

Old September 30th, 2003, 07:26 PM
Roy McCarroll

Default Travel Card for London Underground and buses

Is there a great advantage to buying a London Travel Card over the
Internet as opposed to waiting until we get there? Two people, one week,
early November. Staying in zone 1 and would probably only need card for
zones 1 and 2. Thanks for your help. Roy.

Old September 30th, 2003, 08:29 PM
tim

"Roy McCarroll" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Is there a great advantage to buying a London Travel Card over the
Internet as opposed to waiting until we get there?

What is it that you've found that you can buy online?

What you realistically need is a standard 7 day travel card season
ticket (as used by all the commuters). For Zones 1 and 2 this is
19.60 GBP and it seems that you don't need a photocard for this.

But according to the info on internet sales this is not yet available
for weekly tickets.

Either way you will save little by buying in advance

Two people, one week,
early November. Staying in zone 1 and would probably only need card for
zones 1 and 2. Thanks for your help.

How will you get into Zone 1 in the first place?

Tim

Roy.

Old September 30th, 2003, 08:56 PM
Roy McCarroll

Online services offered travel cards in 1,3 and 7 day increments. With
handling/shipping charges, didn't look like too much of a deal. Getting to
zone 1 with included airport transfers. Thanks for the help

Old September 30th, 2003, 10:54 PM
Hatunen

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 21:29:41 +0200, "tim"
wrote:

"Roy McCarroll" wrote in message
thlink.net...
Is there a great advantage to buying a London Travel Card over the
Internet as opposed to waiting until we get there?

What is it that you've found that you can buy online?

What you realistically need is a standard 7 day travel card season
ticket (as used by all the commuters). For Zones 1 and 2 this is
19.60 GBP and it seems that you don't need a photocard for this.

To be clear, this is NOT the visitor travelcard purchasable only
by non-Londoners. I'm not sure Zone 2 is all that useful, either.

But unless things have changed, you do need a photcard with the
seven day Travelcard; we did last summer at any rate. The
official London Transport rate booklet dated January 2003 says
so, as well, and I downloaded it only a few months ago.

But according to the info on internet sales this is not yet available
for weekly tickets.

Either way you will save little by buying in advance

Two people, one week,
early November. Staying in zone 1 and would probably only need card for
zones 1 and 2. Thanks for your help.

How will you get into Zone 1 in the first place?

A single fare Tube ticket will do it nicely if coming from
Heathrow. And from Heathrow, Stansted and Gatwick there are also
trains, some of them express.

Old October 1st, 2003, 12:41 AM
tim

wrote:

"Roy McCarroll" wrote in message
thlink.net...
Is there a great advantage to buying a London Travel Card over the
Internet as opposed to waiting until we get there?

What is it that you've found that you can buy online?

What you realistically need is a standard 7 day travel card season
ticket (as used by all the commuters). For Zones 1 and 2 this is
19.60 GBP and it seems that you don't need a photocard for this.

To be clear, this is NOT the visitor travelcard purchasable only
by non-Londoners. I'm not sure Zone 2 is all that useful, either.

But unless things have changed, you do need a photcard with the
seven day Travelcard; we did last summer at any rate. The
official London Transport rate booklet dated January 2003 says
so, as well, and I downloaded it only a few months ago.

the one dated May 2003 says:

"A Photocard is not required for adult rate
7 Day Zone 1 or 2 or Zones 1 &2 Travelcards."

I downloaded it 4 hours ago.

Old October 1st, 2003, 01:39 AM
DCHeretic

I bought a London visitor's card on the British Airways web site. It was
cheaper than buying it on the official site or at the airport.
Old October 1st, 2003, 05:37 AM
Hatunen

On Wed, 1 Oct 2003 01:41:13 +0200, "tim"
wrote:

"Hatunen" wrote in message ...

But unless things have changed, you do need a photcard with the
seven day Travelcard; we did last summer at any rate. The
official London Transport rate booklet dated January 2003 says
so, as well, and I downloaded it only a few months ago.

the one dated May 2003 says:

"A Photocard is not required for adult rate
7 Day Zone 1 or 2 or Zones 1 &2 Travelcards."

I downloaded it 4 hours ago.

Damn. What am I going to do with my photocard now?

It is somewhere at www.tfl.gov.uk

Thanks.

Old October 1st, 2003, 08:19 AM
Lil

The card can also be bought at BritRail (RailEurope). If you did buy
it, you have to get it "activated" at Victoria (I think) before you
can use it. When we tried to use the card to go from Earl's Court
where our hotel was to the East End, the person at the window told us
to go there. So we had to buy a one way ticket to go to Victoria.
Just make sure you have some pounds, shillings and pences before you
get there.

The same window also takes care of BritRail passes.

Happy travelling!

Lil

Old October 1st, 2003, 09:14 AM
Alan Harrison

"Lil" wrote in message
om...

Just make sure you have some pounds, shillings and pences before you
get there.

Nou unless you intend to travel before 1971! :-)

Alan Harrison

Old October 1st, 2003, 12:15 PM
Doug Cutler

Haven't been for a couple of years but at that time card could be activated
at Heathrow, terminal 4 I think.
Doug.

om...