Lake Tahoe first timer - questions

Old November 27th, 2007, 08:42 PM posted to alt.vacation.las-vegas,rec.travel.usa-canada
Walt[_4_]

Default Retitled: Free US Air ticket - where to go ?

In article , - Bobb -
wrote:

I'd like to get the most I can from a free ticket, so I think that I'd
prefer Western US (where it's warmer than Boston) AND since east coast
flights are comparatively cheap. I've driven the coastline from OR/WA line
to San Diego. I visit Vegas and San Jose/ San Francisco annually, so maybe
someplace new. Where, when and why ?

"Warmer than Boston."

Other than SF, that means southwest U.S. in winter. You sound like you
aren't much interested in CA, so that leaves AZ and NM. There are some
interesting Indian sites in both states, not to mention the Grand
Canyon in AZ and Carlsbad Caverns in NM. Fly into Phoenix or
Albuquerque. Lots of Spanish culture in the latter. There's also the
Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum in Tucson with native wildlife exhibits
and an expanse of classic saguarro cacti.

For a really cheapo trip, fly into Vegas then drive to Laughlin where
it will be a few degrees warmer. I like to stay at the River Palms
which has nice enough rooms and usually the best rates on hotel row.
But I may try the Avi resort a few miles south next time. Sun Country
airline is selling rooms there for $9.33/night including weekends.
With taxes/fees, a 4-night weekend stay comes to $49 total. I haven't
stayed there overnight but I visited last year. They had an adequate
buffet and I won over $100 playing poker.

--- Walt
Old November 28th, 2007, 01:06 PM posted to alt.vacation.las-vegas, rec.travel.usa-canada
Hank Youngerman

Default Lake Tahoe first timer - questions

I would check with US Air before I got too far in planning.

Last time I got a USAir voucher, before I accepted it I insisted that
they agree that it was not capacity-controlled, and they did. When I
tried to use it, they told me I could only use it for flights that
qualified as 25,000 mile frequent flier awards. (After much arguing
they relented.) USAir is notorious for having extremely limited
25,000-mile availability.

Of course my information could be way off, but I'd call the airline
before getting my heart set on a destination.

On Nov 20, 5:29 pm, (Eugene Miya) wrote:
NV 431, the Mount Rose Highway.
Bonanza tourism, and the fake Ponderosa Ranch at Tahoe itself S of Incline.

In article ,

QX wrote:
On September 27, 2004, Sacramento, California's KXTV Channel 10 News
reported that the Ponderosa Ranch's gates had closed for good, after
the land was sold to Incline Village developer David Duffield.

The weird, non-conventional thing about the burning Pondersoa map was
the top orientation was East not North. And for all the times they
spoke about going to Virginia City which is further than Carson city,
it's a non-trivia drop down into the Carson Valley and back way up to
Virginia City.

Old November 28th, 2007, 06:46 PM posted to alt.vacation.las-vegas,rec.travel.usa-canada
Mimi

"Walt" wrote in message
In article , - Bobb -
wrote:

I'd like to get the most I can from a free ticket, so I think that I'd
prefer Western US (where it's warmer than Boston) AND since east coast
flights are comparatively cheap. I've driven the coastline from OR/WA
line
to San Diego. I visit Vegas and San Jose/ San Francisco annually, so
maybe
someplace new. Where, when and why ?

"Warmer than Boston."

Other than SF, that means southwest U.S. in winter.

Well, no, any city on the US West Coast (not inland, not Alaska) is warmer
than Boston in the winter. Also Vancouver, BC. Wonderful thing, the Japanese
Current.

But I agree that maybe the Southwest would be a good destination, especially
come March. But lots of the Southwest (New Mexico/Arizona/Utah) is at high
elevations and is still below freezing at night. Is that okay? How about
Santa Fe? Tucson is warmer.

Does US Air or its partners fly to Hawaii?

How long a trip do you plan, Bobb?

Marianne

Old November 28th, 2007, 07:50 PM posted to alt.vacation.las-vegas,rec.travel.usa-canada
Walt[_4_]

In article , Mimi
wrote:

"Walt" wrote in message
In article , - Bobb -
wrote:

[...]

I agree about the coast being warmer; if he doesn't mind going
someplace he's seen before, that's a good choice. I wouldn't mind it
myself.

For AZ/NM, I was thinking more of sites south of I-40, even south of a
line drawn thru Phoenix and Albuquerque. Still chilly at night, but
there are lots of interesting sites to visit for someone new to that
area.

And I'd reiterate Laughlin as a cheap and pleasant getaway for a few
days. Average highs are upper 60's in Jan-Feb, over 80 in March.

Does US Air or its partners fly to Hawaii?

How long a trip do you plan, Bobb?

Marianne

Thanks for your input!

--- Walt