Passport-free travel US-Europe?

Old February 19th, 2004, 08:14 PM
Menachem Mavet

Default Passport-free travel US-Europe?

US Citizen's don't need a passport to enter Canada(just "proof of
citizenship," such as a birth certificate and government-issued photo
ID. I use a voter's card and US driver's license.) There are more or
less no border inspections anymore between EU countries, or so I have
been led to believe. There are two islands off the coast of
Newfoundland, St. Pierre and Miquelon, that are French territory. In
fact, they are considered "overseas departments," a rough political
equivalent to the State of Hawaii in the US. The Islands are accessed
by plane from Canada or by ferry from Newfoundland. According to a
travel guide I read, the French do not require passports from USAn's
who enter these territories from Canada.

Just as one can fly from Hawaii to anywhere else in the USA without
border fomralities, do they run direct flights from St. Pierre to
France without border formalities? And if they do, would it be
possible for a USAn to thus be able to travel to Europe without having
a passport?

As an alternative, there are three other French "overseas Departments"
in the Caribbean -- Martinique, Guadaloupe, and French Guiana (the
home of Devil's Island and the French Space Program). Would it be
possible to do passport-free travel to Europe via those territories?
Old February 19th, 2004, 08:24 PM
Sjoerd

"Menachem Mavet" schreef in bericht
om...
[...]

No. There is passport / immigration control when arriving in European France
from French terittories overseas. Same for Dutch islands in the Caribbean.

Sjoerd

Old February 19th, 2004, 09:11 PM
Lennart Petersen

"Sjoerd" skrev i meddelandet
As an alternative, there are three other French "overseas Departments"
in the Caribbean -- Martinique, Guadaloupe, and French Guiana (the
home of Devil's Island and the French Space Program). Would it be
possible to do passport-free travel to Europe via those territories?

No. There is passport / immigration control when arriving in European

France
from French terittories overseas. Same for Dutch islands in the Caribbean.

There was no such control to/from Guadeloupe when I travelled the Carribean
from Europe recently. In fact no immigration or identity control at all in
a trip Sweden-Germany(FRA)-Guadeloupe-6 different Carribean countries and
back home the same way.
L.P

Old February 19th, 2004, 09:22 PM
Mark Brader

Menachem Mavet writes:
There are two islands off the coast of Newfoundland, St. Pierre
and Miquelon, that are French territory. In fact, they are
considered "overseas departments," a rough political equivalent
to the State of Hawaii in the US.

St. Pierre and Miquelon hasn't been an overseas department since 1985.
It's a "territorial collectivity".
--
Mark Brader | "The race is not always to the swift,
Toronto | nor the battle to the strong --
Old February 19th, 2004, 09:38 PM
Sjoerd

"Lennart Petersen" schreef in bericht

"Sjoerd" skrev i meddelandet
As an alternative, there are three other French "overseas Departments"
in the Caribbean -- Martinique, Guadaloupe, and French Guiana (the
home of Devil's Island and the French Space Program). Would it be
possible to do passport-free travel to Europe via those territories?

No. There is passport / immigration control when arriving in European

France
from French terittories overseas. Same for Dutch islands in the

Caribbean.
There was no such control to/from Guadeloupe when I travelled the

Carribean
from Europe recently. In fact no immigration or identity control at all

in
a trip Sweden-Germany(FRA)-Guadeloupe-6 different Carribean countries and
back home the same way.

Strange, because according to

http://www.consulfrance-losangeles.o...ish/visas.html
The Schengen agreement does not apply to the French Overseas Departments and
Territories. Only the Consulate of France can issue visas for those
destinations. Travelers going to Monaco obtain their Schengen visas from the
French Consulate.

Sjoerd

Old February 20th, 2004, 01:18 AM
Charles Hawtrey

(Menachem Mavet) stumbled to the microphone and
mumbled:

US Citizen's don't need a passport to enter Canada(just "proof of
citizenship," such as a birth certificate and government-issued photo
ID. I use a voter's card and US driver's license.) There are more or
less no border inspections anymore between EU countries, or so I have
been led to believe. There are two islands off the coast of
Newfoundland, St. Pierre and Miquelon, that are French territory. In
fact, they are considered "overseas departments," a rough political
equivalent to the State of Hawaii in the US.

Where on earth did you get the idea that Hawaii is an "overseas
department"? Hawaii's statehood goes back over 40 years and it has
the same legal status as any other state, despite being a little bit
far away from the other 49.

Just as one can fly from Hawaii to anywhere else in the USA without
border fomralities,

Precisely because Hawaii is as much a state as Virginia or Michigan or
Iowa or California or any other.

do they run direct flights from St. Pierre to
France without border formalities? And if they do, would it be
possible for a USAn to thus be able to travel to Europe without having
a passport?
As an alternative, there are three other French "overseas Departments"
in the Caribbean -- Martinique, Guadaloupe, and French Guiana (the
home of Devil's Island and the French Space Program). Would it be
possible to do passport-free travel to Europe via those territories?

Dare one ask, what is your motivation for wanting to take such a
roundabout (and likely expensive) itinerary in order to avoid showing
a passport?

--
Dogs flew spaceships! The Aztecs invented the vacation! Men and
women are the same sex! Our forefathers took drugs! Your brain
Old February 20th, 2004, 01:35 AM
devil

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 01:18:31 +0000, Charles Hawtrey wrote:

Where on earth did you get the idea that Hawaii is an "overseas
department"? Hawaii's statehood goes back over 40 years and it has
the same legal status as any other state, despite being a little bit
far away from the other 49.

So, it's just a colony then.

Old February 20th, 2004, 02:04 AM
Lennart Petersen

"Charles Hawtrey" skrev i meddelandet
Where on earth did you get the idea that Hawaii is an "overseas
department"? Hawaii's statehood goes back over 40 years and it has
the same legal status as any other state, despite being a little bit
far away from the other 49.

Well ,as AFAIK the French overseas departments have exactly the same status
as any French department I think the comparison works out. So you can see
Hawaii as an overseas state or so, although perfectly equal to any other U.S
state.