Alaska cruise with 1 year old baby ?

Old December 30th, 2003, 05:13 AM
Ali's Daddie

Default Alaska cruise with 1 year old baby ?

"Cruising Chrissy" wrote in message
| On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 15:20:54 -0700, "Ali's Daddie"
| wrote:
|
| I've actually seen conflicting reports/statements about babies on cruise
| ships
|
| then let me clear this up for you.
|
| Babies have no place on cruises. The medical care is not adequate,
| they are susceptible to illnesses that are not immunologically
| prepared for.
|
| It's a lose-lose proposition for pax, Baby and parents alike.

I agree with you (I hate that I am admitting that lol j/k)

However, I wasn't really responding with my own opinions. Just responding
with practical advice for the OP if he chooses to take his 1 year old.

I hadn't actually considered the problem of pediatric healthcare on the
ship. But then again, I wasn't planning on taking Alegra til she is much
older. Well, considering 2 years old, but seriously doubt I would feel
comfortable with her on a ship til she is older. Plus, it gives Jarrods mom
time alone with her lol

My main reason for not wanting to take her was the inconvenience it
could/would cause other passengers. Plus, at this point, I feel a vacation
is to have a short break away from real life. kids, work, home, pets, etc.
And taking a baby on a cruise ship would be counter-productive. But, there
are a lot of parents that wouldn't go anywhere without their kids. I will be
having a VERY hard time with this in April on our first cruise. I have never
been away from Alegra longer than a couple hours at a time.

--
LES!

To send me an email, please remove Your Hat
YourHatDaddie @ bonbon.net

Old December 30th, 2003, 05:36 AM
Val Kraut

Our experience on cruises is that they usually don't spend that long in a
port so that one parent could take the tour come back and relieve the other
parent who takes its next - especially if its a rather long tour which some
of the glacier ones are. Some do have morning and afternoon versions - but
to me its sounds like passing the baton in a relay race.with one parent
getting to eat lunch. We love Holland American - but in our experience tends
to be an older - retired - crowd, screaming babies will not be appreciated,
which would probably make for some awkward situations - not necessarily the
most relaxing fun vacation. We have not actually seen a baby on the six
cruises we've taken - there must be a message there. Not to be a wet
blanket - but you should be realistic up front, and consider the reality of
a infant on a moving creeking ship with limited care etc available, as
opposed to jumping in and having a bad experience and regretting it
afterward.

Val Kraut

"Manish" wrote in message
om...
Hello,

We want to go on a Alaska cruise with our baby who will be one year
old in June 2004.

My first question is that will such a cruise be enjoyable ? We definately
want to do the helicopter ride over the glacier. Can me and my wife take

turns
and do the ride while the other babysits ?

I read in other posts that Holland America and Princess are both good.

This will be our first cruise. Any tips on cruising with a one year old ?

Thanks in advance.

Manish

Old December 30th, 2003, 05:57 AM
Peri

Ali's Daddie wrote:
But, there
are a lot of parents that wouldn't go anywhere without their kids. I will be
having a VERY hard time with this in April on our first cruise. I have never
been away from Alegra longer than a couple hours at a time.

Les, I applaud you for both admitting this AND GOING ANYWAY. Trust me, your
precious daughter will benefit greatly from having parents who recognize that
THEIR mental and emotional well-being are as important to them as hers is.

I firmly believe that people who take the time to nurture themselves and their
relationship with each other make MUCH better parents than those who give it all
up for their kids. A proper balance is crucial, and as long as you have a good
support system for her while you're gone (which it certainly sounds like you
do), I think you're doing ALL OF YOU a great favor by taking some time for you
and Jarrod.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE cruising with my kids, but I am thrilled that my
husband and I get to do so on our own, as well. Happy people make happy parents
g.

~ Peri

Old December 30th, 2003, 08:56 AM
Dennis P. Harris

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 19:10:04 -0500 in rec.travel.cruises,
"Ebbtide" wrote:

And if your child gets ill? No Pediatrician, No pediatric meds!! Who are
you thinking of?

Alaska is NOT a 3rd world country. We have very modern fully
staffed hospitals with the latest technology.

Old December 30th, 2003, 12:17 PM
frankg

I can't tell you exactly what is the right age to do this but I would
hesitate to take a baby on a cruise. Too many variables could occur
which might be hard to handle on a ship. Even a simple cold for a
baby can be hard on the parents (fever, etc... some to mind).

Now I can tell you that my wife and I didn't go on vacation till our
kids were at least 9 years old so we knew they could remember each
vacation. The side benefit to this was we were able to save the money
for a nice vacation (admittedly I guess most adults don't like to go
without a vacation so long but we don't consider ourselves average).
Our first vacation was Disneyworld and I remember standing in a lot of
lines and watching some parents hold their babies for hours and I felt
sorry for the parents because I could imagine how sore their muscles
probably were getting.

Bottom line is: think about the baby's well being, not the parents'
well being.

Old December 30th, 2003, 01:38 PM
fishman

"Peri" wrote in message
et...
Ali's Daddie wrote:
[...]

What she said. Our first cruise without the munchkins was great (!) and
they survived just fine. Just make sure that, if they are old enough to
understand, they have a good map and an itinerary to know where you are, and
that you 'pre-mail' postcards to arrive daily letting them know you are
thinking of them (even if you're not).

Chris

Old December 30th, 2003, 02:25 PM
Bisous3

We cruised the Caribbean on Celebrity's Century back in 2001 when our daughter
was 16 months old. We took her with us because we really have no one to take
care of her so we can vacation alone. What a nightmare. She got sick (some
gastro-viral thing that the idiot ship's doctor insisted was sea sickness. He
gave us some antihistimine for her to take orally, which would have been fine
except A) she wasn't seasick and B) How in Gods name was she supposed to take
oral medication when she was VOMITING every 20 minutes??) I had to call my
pediatrician who basically diagnosed her over the phone and told me what
medication to ask for to stop the vomiting.
We swore off cruises...then the following winter took her to the mountains in
France for some fresh mountain air and to play in the snow. She got REALLY sick
again. This time some awful throat/ear/eye infection.
The point is, she got sick and those trips were awful.
Now before we go anywhere (she's 3 now- a bit heartier) my pediatrician gives
me some Phenergan suppositories (to stop vomiting) and some antibiotics to take
along. We don't stay home, because there have been many many trips since that
first cruise that were wonderful and she stayed nice and healthy.
I am not saying your child will get sick. I AM saying be prepared for anything.
At least in Alaska you will be near good medical care.
Suzanne

Old December 30th, 2003, 05:16 PM
sheree

Suzanne:
that's what we do as well. we take just in case meds, call the pediatrician
or check with the dr onboard if he gets sick.

only happened once but that was enough to make us prepared for future trips
we do the same thing even if it's to WDW or the keys.

--
Sheree