RCI Credit/Billing Debacle!

Old May 7th, 2004, 09:04 PM
Len C.

Default RCI Credit/Billing Debacle!

Back end of March my travel partner decided not to go on the cruise due
to a family members illness. When I called RCI to check out my options
cancel or still go alone I was quoted a single fare of 150% rather than
RCI's usual 200% for single occupancy. FINE I went ahead and cancelled
my friend off the booking, received a new fax confirmation with my new
rate showing a credit of $359.25 and was told by the rep. that would be
credited back to my Visa. Long story short. Now I have docs and got my
Visa statement and only see a credit for the tax portion of the $359.25
credit? After calling RCI for a second time I finally got a rep. that
read me a comment on my booking entered by their accounting dept. that I
needed to file a claim thru Berkely Care for the remainder of the credit
balance. I was NEVER told this when I made the change to my original
booking. Since I have a revised fax confirming the cruise fare for
single and showing a CREDIT DUE I have since disputed the $338 with my
Visa company. I don't think RCI has a 'leg to stand on' since I have
this in writing or should I be concerned? Either way if I don't get the
credit to Visa guess I will have to open a claim. What do you folks
think?

Len...

Old May 7th, 2004, 10:44 PM
Cruzinsure

Actualy, if you have the Cruise Care and your traveling companion had to cancel
for a covered reason (illness of a famiy member under most conditions is
covered) then your end result should be that you're not going to pay ANY
single supplement at all.

I believe that the first rep you spoke to was wrong and that accounting's
interpretation of the situation is correct. Your fare should have been
increased to 200% and the only refund due was the taxes charged on the second
passenger. Unfortunately, RCI and the other cruise lines often choose to not
stand behind a mistake made by their customer service reps.

Before you do anything contact Cruise Care and verify where you stand with
them. They'll probably tell you to pay what RCI's asking for then submit a
claim to them for the additional expense. It will be a pain in the butt but you
should come out of this without spenging any additional money.