Alaska cruise with a child

Old November 10th, 2005, 02:36 AM
Ray Goldenberg

Default Alaska cruise with a child

On 9 Nov 2005 18:02:52 -0800, "shawnabbtt" wrote:

Looking
for cruise line suggestions, not-to-miss itinerary items, leaving kids
on ship vs. taking them on excursions opinions, etc."

Hi,

You might want to check with your travel agent. Holland America
offers special shore excursions specifically for children.

Best regards,
Ray
LIGHTHOUSE TRAVEL
800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
http://www.lighthousetravel.com
Old November 10th, 2005, 02:49 AM
Peri

shawnabbtt wrote:

"Anyone out there been on a recent Alaskan cruise with a child? Looking
for cruise line suggestions, not-to-miss itinerary items, leaving kids
on ship vs. taking them on excursions opinions, etc."

We did an Alaskan cruise in 2002, just before my youngest child turned
nine (my oldest was eleven). There wasn't even a question about them
being too young, and it ranks as one of their favorite cruises (they've
now taken six).

We were on the Celebrity Summit, which offered a great children's
program, as has just about every ship we've ever been on. Today, it's
the rule rather than the exception, so I wouldn't sweat that detail all
that much. Generally, organized kids activities are not held, however,
or are extremely limited when the ship is in port, so your opportunities
for solo touring might be few and far between.

That being said, it is very easy to plan an itinerary that will interest
both you and your child; there are family-friendly excursions in every
port. My kids loved "shooting" the Mendenhall in Juneau, the lumberjack
show in Ketchikan, the trip to Liarsville and salmon bake in Skagway,
the Ididaride dog sleds and Kenai Fjords trip in Seward, and so much more.

Only you know your child, and how well he or she would enjoy such a
vacation. If you think the answer is yes, my advice would be to plan
together and find what interests you both. If you can afford to do it,
why not go now and go AGAIN when your kid is older? You'll raise a
worldly, interesting, and interested young person, and have a strong
foundation of wonderful shared memories.

~ Peri
Old November 10th, 2005, 02:26 PM
LeeNY

shawnabbtt wrote:
So, according to you,
I do not take my child on the excursions, but I don't leave the ship; I
do leave the ship and take the child on excursions; or I don't take the
child on the cruise at all.

Right. Are those three options somehow inconvenient to you? To include
your child in your plans? Personally, seems to me the best option is to
take your child with you on excursions, selecting tours that you'd both
enjoy. Once on board, after the ship leaves port or on sea days, I'm
sure you'll be able to find some alone adult time while your child is
in the care of the children's program AND you'll be easily reachable in
case of emergency.

Look it's your kid. No one on this newsgroup can tell you how to
parent. If you're comfortable leaving the kid on board while you go off
climbing glaciers, riding dogsleds, taking helicopter tours...well
then, by all means, you should do it. I'm just saying, if it was me, I
wouldn't leave my child on board, while I went exploring ports. And,
because I don't wish to have the added responsibility of a child's
safety, well-being and enjoyment, in instances such as this, I have, by
choice, remained childless. It just irks me when parents don't seem to
want to include their kids in activities, but would rather trust them
to strangers to facilitate their own enjoyment.

Lee

Old November 10th, 2005, 09:16 PM
sheree

lee:
i'm a parent and i agree with you 100%.

it must be tough to be a single parent, i know plenty and they figure out
ways to make these things work for them and the child.

if hte poster is going to leave the child in the children's program
continuously then perhaps the child can be left with the father (if he's
around) or a family member than the parent can do what she pleases.

there are 2 parent households that go on cruises and leave the child(rewn)
in the program all day and evening, and when on excursions, i think they're
wrong too.

have to find a balance

--
Sheree

Crown Princess 8/25/06

"LeeNY" wrote in message
oups.com...

Old November 13th, 2005, 02:08 AM
Robert

wrote in message
oups.com...
Anyone out there been on a recent Alaskan cruise with a child? Looking
for cruise line suggestions, not-to-miss itinerary items, leaving kids
on ship vs. taking them on excursions opinions, etc.

Thanx, Shawn

What age?

Old November 14th, 2005, 02:10 PM
shawnabbtt

Robert wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
Anyone out there been on a recent Alaskan cruise with a child? Looking
for cruise line suggestions, not-to-miss itinerary items, leaving kids
on ship vs. taking them on excursions opinions, etc.

Thanx, Shawn

What age?

7 year old son