Shopping for video camera in Sydney

Old November 12th, 2004, 07:47 PM
Jan Egil Sjåstad

Default Shopping for video camera in Sydney

Hi all,
My wife and I will stay in Sydney for a few days in december.
While there we are planning to buy a video camera. Any ideas
where we can get a good deal, and if it's possible to buy
it tax free?

Thanks
JES
Old November 13th, 2004, 12:10 AM
Alan

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 20:47:09 +0100, Jan Egil Sjåstad
wrote:

Hi all,
My wife and I will stay in Sydney for a few days in december.
While there we are planning to buy a video camera. Any ideas
where we can get a good deal, and if it's possible to buy
it tax free?

Thanks
JES

If you are coming via Singapore or another Asian stopover, you will
probably find them cheaper (and tax-free) there.

Cheers, Alan

Old November 13th, 2004, 01:19 AM
Les Chandra

Alan wrote in
:

wrote:

Hi all,
My wife and I will stay in Sydney for a few days in december.
While there we are planning to buy a video camera. Any ideas
where we can get a good deal, and if it's possible to buy
it tax free?

Thanks
JES

If you are coming via Singapore or another Asian stopover, you will
probably find them cheaper (and tax-free) there.

Cheers, Alan

This is the accepted wisdom, but more and more people I am hearing from
say this is no longer the case!

My suggestion is try J.B. Hi Fi - they usually do good prices on all
sorts of things electronic. They like it if you bargain a bit and will
usually drop prices quite a lot. (At least they do in other states, I
haven't visited their Sydney stores). According to their website
(www.jbhifi.com.au) their most central store is in Bondi Junction, though
they are in some other suburbs.

L.

Old November 13th, 2004, 02:02 AM
Big Jim

Hello Jan

A video camera sold in Australia will almost certainly operate using the PAL
system. Is that the TV system where you come from?

Regards: Jim Sibbick

Old November 13th, 2004, 09:20 AM
Jan Egil Sjåstad

Big Jim wrote:

Hello Jan

A video camera sold in Australia will almost certainly operate using the
PAL system. Is that the TV system where you come from?

Regards: Jim Sibbick

Yes, we live in Norway and we use PAL here. We will have short
stops in London and Bangkok airports, but my experience is
that airports is not the cheapest places to by electronics...
Judging from a couple of Australian web shops the prices are
a bit better down there than here in Norway.

JES

Old November 13th, 2004, 12:01 PM
Peter Webb

The only tax on electronics is the GST (sales tax); its only 10%. Keep your
receipt, and for any goods you buy in a single transaction worth more than
$300 you can claim the GST back when you leave Australia (taking the goods
with you) as long as they were purchased in the preceeding 3 months. So
there is no advantage in buying from a "duty free" shop, and indeed they are
expensive for electronics.

You should be able to buy it on special (and some store is always having a
special on this type of gear) as cheaply as you can in Asia.

Old November 13th, 2004, 10:47 PM
Alan

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 23:01:34 +1100, "Peter Webb"
wrote:

The only tax on electronics is the GST (sales tax); its only 10%. Keep your
receipt, and for any goods you buy in a single transaction worth more than
$300 you can claim the GST back when you leave Australia (taking the goods
with you) as long as they were purchased in the preceeding 3 months. So
there is no advantage in buying from a "duty free" shop, and indeed they are
expensive for electronics.

You should be able to buy it on special (and some store is always having a
special on this type of gear) as cheaply as you can in Asia.

For the OP. On specials, you mentioned you were going to be here in
December. The big sales start after Christmas, if you can delay that
long.

Cheers, Alan