insunrace

Old January 6th, 2008, 03:07 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Lawrence Akutagawa

Default insunrace

wrote in message

1. "Someone noted english/french in BC."
I was that someone in my initial post of Jan 3, 2008 1:56pm.

Is that incorrect? I think you have provided the proof that someone
wrote that they saw english and french labels while in BC.

2. "Someone else noted french only in Quebec."

Was it mentioned by anyone that they saw labels in french only while
in quebec? Yes, that was said. Okay, so it was within the same
post. Pardon me for probably reading it as a paste in another post.

3. "Someone else noted chinese in marham"
That would be TheNewsGuy(Mike) in his Jan 4,
2008
2:14am post.

At this point, it is mentioned that in a particular neighborhood, all
labels are in chinese. Are you saying this is inaccurate?

a. He does not cite the person making each of the three observations he
references, much less the date and time of that observation.

he doesnt feel the need to cite every single line by everysingle
person. We all read newsgroups, we dont need cites for mundane posts.

b. He has his facts wrong - the person making the first and second
observations was one and the same....me. Do note that had he cited the
person making each of the three observations, he would have readily seen
for
himself that I was the person making these two observations.

good god!!! I made an error. IS it so important?

c. He entirely omitted the key issue - namely, that the very same item
(eg,
a can of Campbell Chicken Noodle soup) is labeled in both English and
French
in the western provinces and in French only in Quebec.

No, I warned Newsguy not to answer your question. As it turns out,
he simply said there were lots of chinese labels. Named 2 stores I
think. He did nto say either way whether they did or did not sell the
same products would be in english elsewhere.

And, of course, Chuckie ended with his ad hominem, all the while
ducking/avoidance the issue as per whether the same item labeled in
Chinese
is similarly labeled differently in different parts of Canada. At least
this time around, Chuckie has not strewn about red herrings as per
financing
and ethnic neighborhoods. But...but...do make note of the abysmal
failure
on Chuckie's part to understand that the key issue is that of the exact
same
item having different language labels in different parts in Canada, his
recap having no comment whatever on this issue.

I never adressed the labeling issue in BC/Quebec. I simply said we
have a chinese store here. At this point you got upset that I made
fun of your anal need to have everything documented and covered when I
posted to mike he should avoid your question. I never said you could
or couldn't find anything in english. I didnt miss the point of
anything. I made a simple statement.

Then as if on cue, you put this forward:
"Step one. Hie yourself to any such store in Canada that has an item
- any
item - labeled in Chinese only. Markham in Ontario is suggested as
one
such locale. The only requirement is that this same item be available
in
stores both in Quebec and in British Columbia.

Step two. Take a close look at said item and remember what it is.

Step three. Hie yourself to any store in British Columbia that has
this
same item, only the item must now be labeled in English and
French....no
Chinese. Got that?

Step four. Finally, hie yourself to any store in Quebec that has this
same
item, only now the item must be labeled only in French...no English,
no
Chinese. Got that?"

And by the way, the public finance thing....you figure that out
yet...public assistance programs, heating assistance for example, is
available to the public, but you must meet certain conditions to
qualify......how could this possibly be public if only certain people
can get it? Wouldnt it have to be called private assistance?

yup...Chuckie busy at work with thinking, thinking, and still more thinking
in that own little world of his without paying heed what goes on in the real
world in which the rest of us live. Note, please, the best he can do -
rather than cite posts that actually happened - is to say time and time
again "I think." And sometimes he thinks correctly and then sometimes - he
does not. And in thinking as he does, he yet once more ducks addressing
directly the key issue of the same item having different language labels in
different parts of Canada. But at least this time around he at least says,
"I never adressed the labeling issue in BC/Quebec"...which labeling issue
is, of course, the central issue under discussion. So he at least admits
however lamely to being off topic at best, to tossing out yet another red
herring at the very least. And should this assessment not be accurate then
Chuckie himself can explain the relevance of his items with Chinese labels
to this issue of the exact same items having different language labels in
different parts of Canada. Completely evading/avoiding this language
labeling issue as he has until now, I guess we all should feel fortunate and
maybe even a bit appreciative that Chuckie even deigns this reference to
being off topic as per the issue under discussion.

But...but...rather than end with an ad hominem as he did his last post, he
ends this one by dragging in yet once more that finance red herring!
Ah...once a Chuckie, always a Chuckie!

Old January 6th, 2008, 04:18 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

How is this post any different than mine? He does not adress the
issue at hand either. Going to tell him off. No? How come.

"We have Asian stores in the USA like that. In Daly City CA we
lived not far from two Asian supermarkets. But... to be on sale
in the USA the products must have an ingredients list in English.
That's the only way I knew what some of the stuff was, although
that wasn't as helpful as I would have hoped."
Old January 6th, 2008, 05:31 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Lawrence Akutagawa

wrote in message
How is this post any different than mine? He does not adress the
issue at hand either. Going to tell him off. No? How come.

"We have Asian stores in the USA like that. In Daly City CA we
lived not far from two Asian supermarkets. But... to be on sale
in the USA the products must have an ingredients list in English.
That's the only way I knew what some of the stuff was, although
that wasn't as helpful as I would have hoped."

c'mon, Chuckie - you're the one with that masters degree. You ought to be
able to figure that out all by yourself. Right? Right!

(btw - good to see no red herrings and no ad hominems in your post for a
change.)

Old January 6th, 2008, 04:55 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

On Jan 5, 11:31 pm, "Lawrence Akutagawa"
wrote:
wrote in message

How is this post any different than mine? He does not adress the
issue at hand either. Going to tell him off. No? How come.

"We have Asian stores in the USA like that. In Daly City CA we
lived not far from two Asian supermarkets. But... to be on sale
in the USA the products must have an ingredients list in English.
That's the only way I knew what some of the stuff was, although
that wasn't as helpful as I would have hoped."

c'mon, Chuckie - you're the one with that masters degree. You ought to be
able to figure that out all by yourself. Right? Right!

(btw - good to see no red herrings and no ad hominems in your post for a
change.)

no, I dont see any difference. Please explain.
Old January 6th, 2008, 07:16 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Lawrence Akutagawa

wrote:
wrote in message

How is this post any different than mine? He does not adress the
issue at hand either. Going to tell him off. No? How come.

"We have Asian stores in the USA like that. In Daly City CA we
lived not far from two Asian supermarkets. But... to be on sale
in the USA the products must have an ingredients list in English.
That's the only way I knew what some of the stuff was, although
that wasn't as helpful as I would have hoped."

c'mon, Chuckie - you're the one with that masters degree. You ought to
be
able to figure that out all by yourself. Right? Right!

(btw - good to see no red herrings and no ad hominems in your post for a
change.)

no, I dont see any difference. Please explain.

[sigh] so that masters not that much use to you, Chuckie? OK - one time and
one time only - and just for you...because I do think others get it, they
being not as befuddled as you seem to be.

1. The scope of the discussion is Canada and the issue is the phenomenon
whereby the exact same item (e.g., a can of Campbell Chicken Noodle soup) is
labeled in English and French in the western provinces of that country and
only in French in Quebec. Got that?

2. That comment by "Hatunen" on Jan 4, 2008 11:24pm which
you quote addresses a situation in the United States, as per the qualifiers
used ("USA", "Daly City CA"). So this comment is an aside, an observation
outside the scope of the main discussion. Read it as many times as you want
and parse however you will - you...I assure you...will not be able to find
Hatunen's words to address anything Canadian either directly, by
implication, or by inference.

3. Now let's take your comment ( Jan 4, 2008, 8:53pm) -

"we have a couple of stores here where everything is chinese
only.....chinese grocery stores....there is an italian place where 90%
of the stuff is direct italian..."

Note no qualifiers as to where "here" is. Given such imprecision on the one
hand and your post following on the other hand within scope comments by
"TheNewsGuy(Mike)" (Jan 4, 2008 2:14 am, Jan 4,
2008 12:41pm) and me (Jan 4, 2008 8:06am, Jan 4, 2008 7:21pm), your comment
in and of itself is clearly within scope. You may have not intended it to
be within scope...you may have intended to be out of scope as Hautnen's
comment is. But read exactly what you wrote...and only what you wrote...any
number of times and parse it however you will - and I submit that you will
not be able explain how what your wrote is in fact outside of scope.

Got it?

Old January 7th, 2008, 12:53 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

I still don't see the difference.

Explain to me what the difference is again?

Aside from listing where "here" is.

How is Hatunen's post relevant about where he is from when the subject
is dealing with canada?

Old January 7th, 2008, 02:25 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Lawrence Akutagawa

wrote in message
I still don't see the difference.

Explain to me what the difference is again?

Aside from listing where "here" is.

How is Hatunen's post relevant about where he is from when the subject
is dealing with canada?

Scope, Chuckie, scope.

1. Hatunen's post is outside the scope, as he clearly so establishes with
his references to "USA" and "Daly City CA"....a "compare and contrast"
observation - "That's the way things are in Canada, here is the way things
are in the USA."

2. Your post, ambiguous and imprecise as it is location-wise, falls - with
the words you used and your lack of qualifiers - within the scope of the
discussion. Now whether you intended to fall within the scope or - like
Hatunen - intended to be outside the scope is moot. The actual words you
used place your comment within the scope, just as the words Hatunen used
places him outside. Maybe - just perhaps - I can drive home the point by
asking you as per your comment - from the words you used and only the words
you used, exactly where is the location vis a vis your comment? I submit
that you - nor any one else - can determine from those words of yours that
the location is other than Canada, that country being the nation under
discussion. Now had you been more precise with words like "here in New
York," "here in Cambridge, MA," or even "here in the USA," then you too
would have been out of scope and presumably been offering a "compare and
contrast" observation as Hatunen did.

If you still don't get it, then perhaps someone else can explain it to you
in a way that you can indeed understand. I probably have overexplained more
than enough as it is.

Old January 7th, 2008, 03:19 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

LOL...

I just think its funny you put that much thought into a NG post....

Old January 7th, 2008, 05:22 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Lawrence Akutagawa

wrote in message
LOL...

I just think its funny you put that much thought into a NG post....

Just want to make sure you guys with that masters degree get the point, you
clearly not getting it otherwise.

You're welcome.....