Driving Ford Expedition down Crooked Street

Old September 12th, 2004, 09:09 PM
Bill

Default Driving Ford Expedition down Crooked Street

Hello

I'll be renting a Ford Expedition so I can take some visiting friends
around San Francisco and the rest of the Bay Area.

I've driven my Honda Accord down Crooked Street a few times and was
wondering if anyone has driven a full-sized SUV there. Is that something I
should avoid ?

Thanks.

Old September 13th, 2004, 12:31 AM
robert stephens

Bill wrote:
Hello

I'll be renting a Ford Expedition so I can take some visiting friends
around San Francisco and the rest of the Bay Area.

I've driven my Honda Accord down Crooked Street a few times and was
wondering if anyone has driven a full-sized SUV there. Is that something I
should avoid ?

Thanks.

I'm assuming Crooked Street is Lombard.

We managed it without problem in the next step down (an Explorer). I'd
guess you'd be fine.

-Robert

Old September 13th, 2004, 08:39 AM
Icono Clast

Bill wrote:
I'll be renting a [Utility Vehicle] so I can take some visiting friends
around San Francisco and the rest of the Bay Area.

You are extremely unlikely to encounter any roads or streets on which
such a vehicle would be a suitable conveyance.

I've driven . . . down Crooked Street a few times and was wondering
if anyone has driven a full-sized SUV there. Is that something I
should avoid ?

Yes! Those vehicles are frequently vandalized; they get tire walls
punctured and other verbal and physical expressions of opinion of
them appearing on our streets. Why don't you rent a real car that
won't be as risky, as difficult to drive on our streets while
blocking the views of other drivers and tourists, that's less
hazardous to those of us who live here as well as those on the
highways in the surrounding counties in California that you've
threatened to visit, less harmful to the environment, easier to park,
and not as offensive to the eye?
A San Franciscan in 47.335 mile² San Francisco
http://geocities.com/dancefest/ http://geocities.com/iconoc/
ICQ: http://wwp.mirabilis.com/19098103 IClast at SFbay Net

Old September 14th, 2004, 07:05 AM
Bill

Yes! Those vehicles are frequently vandalized; they get tire walls
punctured and other verbal and physical expressions of opinion of
them appearing on our streets. Why don't you rent a real car that
won't be as risky, as difficult to drive on our streets while
blocking the views of other drivers and tourists, that's less
hazardous to those of us who live here as well as those on the
highways in the surrounding counties in California that you've
threatened to visit, less harmful to the environment, easier to park,
and not as offensive to the eye?

Could you recommend one such car that would carry 8 adults ?

Old September 14th, 2004, 11:28 AM
Icono Clast

Bill wrote:
Yes! Those vehicles are frequently vandalized; they get tire walls
punctured and other verbal and physical expressions of opinion of
them appearing on our streets. Why don't you rent a real car that
won't be as risky, as difficult to drive on our streets while
blocking the views of other drivers and tourists, that's less
hazardous to those of us who live here as well as those on the
highways in the surrounding counties in California that you've
threatened to visit, less harmful to the environment, easier to park,
and not as offensive to the eye?

Could you recommend one such car that would carry 8 adults ?

I would be pleased to if I knew of one. My guess is that any of the
van-type passenger cars could comfortably accommodate eight
normal-sized adults.

When I drive on Saint Patrick's Day, I get a Toyota van. I think it
accommodates eight but amn't sure. It's the same length as a Camry.

I believe the Ford and Chrysler corporations make station wagons that
accommodate nine. Whether anyone has them for rent, I don't know.

Years ago, on Saint Patrick's Day, I rented an enormous Chevrolet
station wagon from Rent-A-Wreck. Going down Bush Street, with the
heaviest people behind the rear axle, the front end came off of the
ground a couple of times. I didn't tell them that but, after our next
stop, I reseated them.
A San Franciscan in (where else?) San Francisco

Old September 15th, 2004, 02:48 AM
Bill

I would be pleased to if I knew of one. My guess is that any of the
van-type passenger cars could comfortably accommodate eight
normal-sized adults.

When I drive on Saint Patrick's Day, I get a Toyota van. I think it
accommodates eight but amn't sure. It's the same length as a Camry.

I believe the Ford and Chrysler corporations make station wagons that
accommodate nine. Whether anyone has them for rent, I don't know.

If you can't name one, please don't sermonize about the ill effects of
SUVs.

Thanks.

Old September 15th, 2004, 10:46 AM
Icono Clast

Bill wrote:
Icono Clast said:
I would be pleased to if I knew of one. My guess is that any of the
van-type passenger cars could comfortably accommodate eight
normal-sized adults.

When I drive on Saint Patrick's Day, I get a Toyota van. I think it
accommodates eight but amn't sure. It's the same length as a Camry.

I believe the Ford and Chrysler corporations make station wagons that
accommodate nine. Whether anyone has them for rent, I don't know.

If you can't name one, please don't sermonize about the ill effects of
SUVs.

Thanks.

I named three. Sorry. I didn't realize I was restricted to one.

Why should I be able to name a car of a type of absolutely no
positive interest to me? I can't tell you about sub-compacts or
sports cars or luxury cars (even though I looked at several before
making a purchase earlier this year), either, nor pick-up trucks,
limousines, stake trucks, long-haul trucks or Czech poppers. I tried
to be as helpful as I could by answering a question that was asked.

Lacking that sort of useless (to me) knowledge has no relevance to
the facts I stated about the type of vehicle the original poster said
he was going to inflict upon my streets. This is MY home; what
happens here is important to me. Perhaps you don't care what happens
where you live. That's your business, my abstract, not direct, concern.

Request denied. Expletives withheld. Put me in your kill file.