What is Condition of Rhine River re Rhine River Cruises (low water)?

Old October 6th, 2003, 06:48 PM
john chapman

Default What is Condition of Rhine River re Rhine River Cruises (low water)?

In mid October (2 weeks from now) I am supposed to take a Rhine River
cruise from the Netherlands to Switzerland. I am getting many stories
about low river (lowest in over 100 years), and even cruise boats not
being able to go from the southern Rhine to north of Mainz. Can
anyone give me the actual situation re river cruise boats along the
Rhine. For example, are parts of the river actually closed to river
cruise ships, and if so which parts? Part of the trip was also to be
a short excursion down the Mosel as well. I am thinking of cancelling
this trip. Thanks in advance for any up-to-date information.
Old October 6th, 2003, 08:25 PM
Mike Cordelli

Check with your cruise line, for example, Uniworld has the following posted
on their website. It all depends on the specific trip as to which bridges
and rivers they can get by.

:

Europe River Cruises Water Level Update

Los Angeles, CA (September 25, 2003)

Dear Traveler:

Due to the ongoing, unusual drought in Europe, water levels on some rivers
are below normal. However, Uniworld's Europe River Cruises are currently
operating, with some itineraries being adjusted. Uniworld will keep
monitoring the situation, and will take appropriate action to continuously
ensure safe passage of all Uniworld travelers.

om...

Old October 6th, 2003, 08:50 PM
Mike Cordelli

The problem is that he conditions changes day to day. When we were over
there and the rivers were too high in some areas, it would be the night
before we were to go under some of them they decided not to try it. A
person who was there a week or two ago wouldn't be fully able to say what
the cruise they are on would be doing.

It's a good time to hope for cruise line air or insurance though, nothing
like some last minute departure changes.

"Bare Nookey" wrote in message
"Mike Cordelli"

writes:
Check with your cruise line, for example, Uniworld has the following

posted
on their website. It all depends on the specific trip as to which

bridges
and rivers they can get by.

Even better advice, although that would be a given unless the line is

hiding
things under "oh it's not so bad and we can always adjust". Maybe thats

why the
person is seeking info here, hoping to get someone who just recented the
duplicate trip. Cruise line knowledge is great first hand info, but a

recent
customer (on hands) may be even better. I have relatives in Koblenz and

will
ask if they can cast some light on this.

-H

Old October 6th, 2003, 10:47 PM
jcoulter

"Mike Cordelli" wrote in
. com:

[...]

adjusted means bus rides for all pax.
Old October 6th, 2003, 10:53 PM
Aramis

It's brown and the scenery is ugly. Count the trains rumbling by on both
sides of the river for fun.

Visit the Mosel instead.

Old October 7th, 2003, 06:15 PM
Thomas Peel

john chapman schrieb:

In mid October (2 weeks from now) I am supposed to take a Rhine River
cruise from the Netherlands to Switzerland. I am getting many stories
about low river (lowest in over 100 years), and even cruise boats not
being able to go from the southern Rhine to north of Mainz. Can
anyone give me the actual situation re river cruise boats along the
Rhine. For example, are parts of the river actually closed to river
cruise ships, and if so which parts? Part of the trip was also to be
a short excursion down the Mosel as well. I am thinking of cancelling
this trip. Thanks in advance for any up-to-date information.

The record has been broken repeatedly this summer, the level is
currently somewhere around 40 centimeters, however this does not mean
you can wade across it.
In the first place, the zero reference point is purely arbitrary. We
could even get negative readings if it sinks any further.
Secondly, there is a dredged navigable channel which is about 5' deeper
and up to 150 yards wide. All commercial traffic sticks to regardless
of the water level. There is certainly a problem for the big commercial
craft, because they can only transport a fraction of their normal load.
I don't know if the smaller cruise boats have so much of a problem.

Notwithstanding, there was an accident just the other week with a cruise
boat running aground near St Goar, several passengers were injured.
Whether the accident was the result of the low water is still unclear.

You can be optimistic and view the low water as an opportunity to see
the rocks on the bottom of the Rhine for the first time in history.
Also, the beaches in some parts are fantastic, although it's too cold to
do much sunbathing.

Tom
Old October 8th, 2003, 07:07 AM
walter

In mid October (2 weeks from now) I am supposed to take a Rhine River
cruise from the Netherlands to Switzerland. I am getting many stories
about low river (lowest in over 100 years), and even cruise boats not
being able to go from the southern Rhine to north of Mainz.

Don't worry. The cruise ships are being equipped with wheels at the
moment :-)

The weather is really bad since 1 week, endless rain in the whole
area. The smaller rivers from the mountains are full. So the big
rivers will recover fast. Not to the normal level, but high enough for
usual ship traffic.

Walter