A new tipping scam

Old December 21st, 2006, 04:15 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
RichC

Default A new tipping scam

Having just returned from an Island Princess cruise yesterday a couple at
our table had an interesting story about their cabin steward. He approached
them, as usually, on the first day upon arrival & told them to not do the
automatic tipping for the cabin service & to tip him directly (every day)
with his hand out stretched. From what I understand by eliminating the auto
portion he would still get a tip from the general funds (reduced somewhat)
but would gain considerably from the daily handouts. They didn't go along
with his request & were waiting for their service to degrade after a few
days but still had good service thought out the cruise.

Old December 21st, 2006, 06:19 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
lj

"RichC" wrote in message
Having just returned from an Island Princess cruise yesterday a couple at
our table had an interesting story about their cabin steward. He

approached
them, as usually, on the first day upon arrival & told them to not do the
automatic tipping for the cabin service & to tip him directly (every day)
with his hand out stretched. From what I understand by eliminating the

auto
portion he would still get a tip from the general funds (reduced somewhat)
but would gain considerably from the daily handouts. They didn't go along
with his request & were waiting for their service to degrade after a few
days but still had good service thought out the cruise.

That may work for the steward short-term, but from what I understand their
tips are reivewed and if they are not recieving auto tips, they will be
called in to explain why passengers are not tipping them and will be
reprimanded or worse.

Old December 21st, 2006, 06:31 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Reef Fish[_4_]

RichC wrote:
Having just returned from an Island Princess cruise yesterday a couple at
our table had an interesting story about their cabin steward.

Okay, so you're reporting NOT your first hand experience, but the
second hand heresay of a couple at your table.

He presumably the alleged cabin steward approached
them, as usually, on the first day upon arrival & told them to not do the
automatic tipping for the cabin service & to tip him directly (every day)
with his hand out stretched.

This has NEVER happed to me, on my 21 Princess cruises in the
past 4 years. No cabin steward ever mentioned or even hinted
anything about tipping!

From what I understand by eliminating the auto
portion he would still get a tip from the general funds (reduced somewhat)

How is it "reduced somewhat"? The cabin stewards get his share
from the 10% tip REGARDLESS of how much the individual tipped
him (or doesn't leave a tip).

but would gain considerably from the daily handouts.

That would be obvious if there ever is such an empolyer of the
cruiseship. I have not had anything remotely similar to the alleged
situation on ANY member of the Princess (or other cruise lines)
cruise ships.

They didn't go along
with his request & were waiting for their service to degrade
after a few days

If the services were to degrade as alleged by your BS storyteller,
why would the cabin stewart "wat after a few days"?

but still had good service thought out the cruise.

Of course they did. The crew members' job (and whether they get
to keep their job) depends SOLELY on their performance on the
job (and how they are rated by customers), and that's why they
provide the SAME "good service" whether they receive any tip
or not.

So, what's the POINTof your second-hand urban legend that is
totally contrary to practice, as I can personally vouch for on
everyone of my 21 Princess cruises.

-- Reef Fish Bob.

Old December 21st, 2006, 07:36 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
RichC

"Reef Fish" wrote in message
ups.com...

RichC wrote:
Having just returned from an Island Princess cruise yesterday a couple at
our table had an interesting story about their cabin steward.

Okay, so you're reporting NOT your first hand experience, but the
second hand heresay of a couple at your table.

He presumably the alleged cabin steward approached
them, as usually, on the first day upon arrival & told them to not do the
automatic tipping for the cabin service & to tip him directly (every day)
with his hand out stretched.

This has NEVER happed to me, on my 21 Princess cruises in the
past 4 years. No cabin steward ever mentioned or even hinted
anything about tipping!

From what I understand by eliminating the auto
[...]

Believe it or not I can assure you it's not a bull **** story & I'm sorry if
you are offended by the negative Princess tipping comment. Just because it
didn't happen to you personally doesn't mean it couldn't happen. I also have
been on many Princess cruises & have never had anything like that happen to
me either. Our friends were reluctant to turn him in for his actions for
fear of any consequences for his job unless the service was to suffer.
My understanding is that the $10 per day tip -not 10%, is put into a pool &
distributed accordingly. Reducing the amount would only slightly affect any
individual's amount but tipping directly would almost double his tip amount.
Our waiter did tell us that on the previous week he was turned in by his
co-workers for eating French fry's off of a persons plate (a fabricated
story) & almost lost his job of 17 years. He asked us to give him some good
recommendations to offset his reprimand but I suppose this is another second
hand urban legend story & you wouldn't believe that either. BTW he was a
good waiter & we did tip extra.

Old December 21st, 2006, 07:53 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Ray Goldenberg Ray Goldenberg is offline
Banned

On Thu, 21 Dec 2006 19:36:30 GMT, "RichC"
wrote:

My understanding is that the $10 per day tip -not 10%, is put into a pool &
distributed accordingly.

Hi Rich,

You are correct. The person who corrected you by writing "10% tip"
was incorrect. It is to be expected considering the incorrect info he
has posted to this news group in the past.

Best regards,
Ray
LIGHTHOUSE TRAVEL
800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
http://www.lighthousetravel.com
Old December 21st, 2006, 08:57 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Reef Fish[_4_]

wrote:

My understanding is that the $10 per day tip -not 10%, is put into a pool &
distributed accordingly.

Hi Rich,

You are correct. The person who corrected you by writing "10% tip"
was incorrect.

That was an OBVIOUS typo, Ray. The person who made that typo
has been on Princess cruise ships at least 10 times as often as
you have perhaps?

Have you EVER been on any Princess ship for all your spamming?

Best regards,
Ray

Never miss a chance for ONE more spam Ray!

-- Reef Fish Bob,

Old December 21st, 2006, 08:59 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
lakota

Heard that if the automated tipping is used, there is a nomial deduction by
the ship to pay for "fees".

&

Old December 21st, 2006, 09:05 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Bill C

RichC wrote:

[...]

Sounds like this cabin steward was not very honest. From what I
understand if you remove the tips and tip personally they
are supposed to turn that money into the pool.
Sounds like his intention was to pocket the tips given to him directly.

Bill

--
Visit my Caribbean Princess website:
www.cruisingthecaribbeanprincess.com
Old December 21st, 2006, 09:10 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Reef Fish[_4_]

RichC wrote:
"Reef Fish" wrote in message
ups.com...

RichC wrote:
Having just returned from an Island Princess cruise yesterday a couple at
our table had an interesting story about their cabin steward.

Okay, so you're reporting NOT your first hand experience, but the
second hand heresay of a couple at your table.

He presumably the alleged cabin steward approached
them, as usually, on the first day upon arrival & told them to not do the
automatic tipping for the cabin service & to tip him directly (every day)
with his hand out stretched.

This has NEVER happed to me, on my 21 Princess cruises in the
past 4 years. No cabin steward ever mentioned or even hinted
anything about tipping!

From what I understand by eliminating the auto
[...]

How can you assure me or anyone that it's NOT a bull **** story. May
be he was trying to impress YOU, for some unknown reason.

I also have
been on many Princess cruises & have never had anything like that happen to
me either.

If that's the case, that's all the more reason you SHOULD NOT have
posted that non-first-hand story, and perhaps try to find out HOW or
WHY it happened to him and not to you and all the other folks I presume
you know who cruised. That is the most outrageous story I've ever
heard about the Princess (which I know) even thought there had been
plenty of Princess-bashing by those cruising it the first time, or just
heard some BS story from someone else.

Our friends were reluctant to turn him in for his actions for
fear of any consequences for his job unless the service was to suffer.
My understanding is that the $10 per day tip -not 10%, is put into a pool &
distributed accordingly.

Yes. That was my obvious TYPO. The slip was about the 10% tip
often suggested on top of the $10 flat addition to the account. The
$10 is even itemized into THREE sub-items each day. I've seen that
at least 2,000 times. :-)

Reducing the amount would only slightly affect any
individual's amount but tipping directly would almost double his tip amount.
Our waiter did tell us that on the previous week he was turned in by his
co-workers for eating French fry's off of a persons plate (a fabricated
story) & almost lost his job of 17 years.

I don't suppose you realize that the the crew ship does NOT know
who tips or who doesn't tip beyond what is normally deducted ($10 per
day). If a person CHOSE not to have it deducted, he could have
tipped individuals he liked the services far in excess of the $10 per
day tip. We routinely tip some of the crew members in the envelopes
WE CHOSE to use, even though we ALWAYS pay the $10 flat
automatic tip.

That's why your arithmetic is faulty assuming that the crew ship
management KNOWS who tips and who does tip and now much!

He asked us to give him some good
recommendations to offset his reprimand but I suppose this is another second
hand urban legend story & you wouldn't believe that either. BTW he was a
good waiter & we did tip extra.

In that case, I am glad you gave me the opportunity to elaborate on
your ERRONEOUS ASSUMPTION about the tipping pool and how
they get split depending on whether a passenger decides to use that
pool or not.

-- Reef Fish Bob.

Old December 21st, 2006, 09:30 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Reef Fish[_4_]

Lakota wrote:
Heard that if the automated tipping is used, there is a nomial deduction by
the ship to pay for "fees".

"Ray Goldenberg" wrote in message

You are correct. The person who corrected you by writing "10% tip"
was incorrect. It is to be expected considering the incorrect info he
has posted to this news group in the past.

Best regards,
Ray

Spamming Ray has NEVER found a single post of mine that had
the "incorrect info" and he took the opportunity of a OBVIOUS TYPO
(which I had already explained where the 10% and $10 came from)
to spam his travel agency one more time.

Here's the scoop.

SOME Princess ships simply itemize the daily tip deduction as

"HC HOTEL CHRG $10.00"

on many ships. Other ships are more explcit about the $10, e.g.

"ROOM GRATS $3.45
MEAL GRAT $6.55"

But each of these is printed on the Passenger Folio DAILY.

and why didn't Ray Goldenspam have that INFO to provide to
RichC or anyone else in the newsgroup?

Because Ray Goldenspam NEVER has any specific INFO about
any cruise or any specific item relative to any cruise.

He has PRESS RELEASES that are his excuses to post
one more SPAM.

-- Reef Fish Bob.