Cell phones on board

Old May 28th, 2007, 03:42 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected]

Default Cell phones on board

We just got off a cruise and observed most passengers using their cell
phones non-stop.

How much are the roaming charges at sea in the Caribbean? Is there a
daily roaming charges or is it per call?

Gadget

Old May 28th, 2007, 06:19 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Donald Newcomb

wrote in message

We just got off a cruise and observed most passengers using their cell
phones non-stop.

How much are the roaming charges at sea in the Caribbean? Is there a
daily roaming charges or is it per call?

Generally it's on the order of US$5/min. I think many of those passengers
are in for a very rude awakening when the bill comes in. When on a cruise
ship, out of regular cellular coverage, I forward my phone to voicemail with
a message to send me a text message or e-mail. Fortunately texting is
reliable and fairly cheap, even on a cruise ship.

--
Donald R. Newcomb
DRNewcomb (at) attglobal (dot) net

Old May 28th, 2007, 07:36 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Shorty

On May 28, 7:30 am, "clint" wrote:
Can't you jerks go without your obnoxiuos cell phones for one week!"Ray Goldenberg" wrote in message

On Sun, 27 May 2007 22:42:51 -0400, wrote:
How much are the roaming charges at sea in the Caribbean? Is there a
daily roaming charges or is it per call?

Hi Jerry,

There is a charge per call. It varies by carrier. Cell phone usage
as well as Internet seems to be one of the most popular options that
have been made available by cruise lines in recent years.

Best regards,
Ray
LIGHTHOUSE TRAVEL
800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
http://www.lighthousetravel.com

Does it really bother you if I check on the condition of my 95 year
old father?

Old May 28th, 2007, 07:53 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Joseph Coulter

Shorty wrote:
On May 28, 7:30 am, "clint" wrote:
Can't you jerks go without your obnoxiuos cell phones for one week!"Ray Goldenberg" wrote in message

Does it really bother you if I check on the condition of my 95 year
old father?

It doesn't really bother clint, he never goes. His greatest joy is
making our lives more interesting through the dispersal of his
incredible wit. ;-)
Old May 28th, 2007, 08:02 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected]

At $5 per minute I think that the cell phone charges will be more than
their already high on-board bills.

When I asked these folks about how much it was costing them to send and
receive all these calls at sea, they all felt that it must be free, as
all they did was dial up like at home.

This was a cruise with most of the passengers at the very low-income
levels. It appears that cell phone usage is highest among the lowest
social-economic
categories .

This cruise line targets this market most successfully and profitably.
There is a reverse correlation between the economic ability to pay and
what the passenger spends before during and after the cruise.

Although wealthy people do buy higher priced cruises, they spend far
less in preparation for the cruise, during he cruise and after. They are
confident that their clothes and jewellery are OK for any occasion, and
do not have the need to "prove" to their friends that they were on a
cruise, as it would be considered bad manners and no big deal in this
group.

I think that the growth potential for this group is unlimited, and the
cruise line is
happy to have unsophisticated guests that were surprisingly undemanding,
and easy to satisfy!

Gadget

Old May 28th, 2007, 09:04 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article ,
wrote:

At $5 per minute I think that the cell phone charges will be more than
their already high on-board bills.

When I asked these folks about how much it was costing them to send and
receive all these calls at sea, they all felt that it must be free, as
all they did was dial up like at home.

Probably many don't know how much it is costing them. However the price
is not $5 a minute. Cingular and Verizon charge $2.49 a minute.

The rest of your post you get downright silly as you usually do. You
don't know their social economic status but if they were on a cruise
they were middle class. Not of very low income levels.

--
Charles
Old May 28th, 2007, 09:39 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
lj

wrote in message
[...]

What a load of generalized crap! Should I generalize the same with
webtv'ers?

Old May 28th, 2007, 09:54 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Rosalie B.

Charles wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

At $5 per minute I think that the cell phone charges will be more than
their already high on-board bills.

When I asked these folks about how much it was costing them to send and
receive all these calls at sea, they all felt that it must be free, as
all they did was dial up like at home.

Probably many don't know how much it is costing them. However the price
is not $5 a minute. Cingular and Verizon charge $2.49 a minute.

The rest of your post you get downright silly as you usually do. You
don't know their social economic status but if they were on a cruise
they were middle class. Not of very low income levels.

Middle class is the new lower class.