39% of Americans believe Bush should be impeached.

Old July 9th, 2007, 07:10 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,alt.true-crime,alt.tv.tech.hdtv,alt.video.divx,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
George Graves

Default 39% of Americans believe Bush should be impeached.

On Mon, 9 Jul 2007 10:37:39 -0700, Dave Smith wrote
(in article ):

George Graves wrote:

On Sat, 7 Jul 2007 19:03:32 -0700, Sparrow wrote
(in article om):

Read all about it, he http://Muvy.org

OK, I'm all for it. What are the charges? Remember, these have to be
legitimate charges, instances where he broke US law. You can't impeach a
president because you disagree with his policies. What we need in this
country is a recall procedure where the people can vote "no confidence" to a
sitting administration like they do in Great Britain. Then, the president
doesn't need to be guilty of a crime, he just needs to not please the
citizenry with his policies.

It would be interesting to see what percentage of them know that
impeachment itself does not get rid of the president but is just a step
towards it.

Given most of this thread's respondents grasp of US law (as witnessed by
their inability to understand simple perjury laws) is woefully inadequate,
I'd say very few.

In the British parliamentary system the non confidence vote is
done by the Parliament, not the people, and generally only happens when
there is a minority government.

Hmmmm. Thanks for that correction. I was under the assumption that it was
done by plebiscite.

Old July 9th, 2007, 07:20 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,alt.true-crime,alt.tv.tech.hdtv,alt.video.divx,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Ric Seyler

George Graves wrote:

On Sat, 7 Jul 2007 20:03:44 -0700, James Davis wrote
(in article . com):

On Jul 7, 9:34 pm, George Graves wrote:

What we need in this
country is a recall procedure where the people can vote "no confidence" to a
sitting administration like they do in Great Britain.

Right now about 30% of Americans are very happy with President Bush,
who was elected by a 51% majority. While I personally believe he's a
moron, there is no rule that says it's undemocratic for a president to
only please 30% of the population. There could be some time in the
future where angering 70% of the population is the right thing to do.
If you had to please the majority of people, then we wouldn't even
elect presidents. We would just vote on issues and the majority vote
would decide what to do.

I understand that and its sorta my point.

It would be unfair to the 30% of Americans who like Bush to impeach
him unless he has done something illegal.

As I said. I think he's a lousy president who has done ABSOLUTELY nothing in
his second term except to defend his flawed policy in Iraq. Not one piece of
legislation has he introduced! But until he actually breaks the law, he is,
AFAIK, unimpeachable.

Yea the Dems and Independents and real Republicans gotta be sure and not
be a completely moronic
and short sighted to do and say the idiotic things that the
NeoCON/RightWing sect of the Republican party has........
"How dare you queston our leaders during war time, ya traitor!" They
aren't even copentent
enough to realize that goes both ways, even in the hypocrite world they
inhabit.

He won the vote, so he is
the president. Besides, he doesn't have any power to do anything that
70% of Congress disagrees with. If his actions are so bad, they can
be democratically overridden by others.

Also true.

You can't just do away with the rules of democracy because they are
giving you the results you want.

Again, that's pretty much my point.

--
Ric Seyler
Online Racing: RicSeyler

http://www.pcola.gulf.net/~ricseyler
remove -SPAM- from email address
--------------------------------------
"Homer no function beer well without."
- H.J. Simpson

Old July 9th, 2007, 08:12 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,alt.true-crime,alt.tv.tech.hdtv,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
sechumlib

On 2007-07-09 13:17:53 -0400, George Graves said:

On Mon, 9 Jul 2007 10:06:55 -0700, sechumlib wrote
(in article ):

On 2007-07-09 12:45:18 -0400, George Graves said:

Lying under oath to grand jury is NOT a trivial matter.

Not when applied to Clinton, according to your non-standards. What
about when applied to Lewis Libby?

I repeat, lying under oath is not a trivial matter. Perjury is punishable by
a prison term. I don't care if its Bill Clinton, Lewis Libby, or G.W. Bush.
If someone lies under oath on a witness stand, he or she should be subject to
the full weight of the law - irrespective of the perjurer's position or
extenuating circumstances. One either tells the truth while under oath or one
takes the 5th, where appropriate. There is no third road to take. ANY first
year law student can tell you that. Were that not the case, our system of
jurisprudence would be worthless.

Apparently the Honorable President of the United States disagrees with you.

Old July 9th, 2007, 08:13 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,alt.true-crime,alt.tv.tech.hdtv,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
sechumlib

On 2007-07-09 14:06:37 -0400, Steve Carroll said:

I saw a little vid-clip today that had a couple of people debating the
potential
of "dumbing-down" due to the internet. One would tend to think having
access to
much more information than ever before we'd find people being more informed...
but one guy's argument was that people are too willing to believe much of what
they read simply because it was in print on some webpage (or blog). He
may be on
to something...

Some of them may even believe George Graves. That's about as dumbed
down as you can get!

Old July 9th, 2007, 08:15 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,alt.true-crime,alt.tv.tech.hdtv,alt.video.divx,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
sechumlib

On 2007-07-09 14:10:43 -0400, George Graves said:

Given most of this thread's respondents grasp of US law (as witnessed by
their inability to understand simple perjury laws) is woefully inadequate,
I'd say very few.

We're not all the kind of Pharisee you are.

Old July 9th, 2007, 08:53 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,alt.true-crime,alt.tv.tech.hdtv,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Dave Smith[_2_]

bearman wrote:

Does this not also apply to Lewis Libby? A jury found him guilty. By your
reasoning, he should go to jail. Bush's commutation of Libby's sentence
(prison part) does a disservice to us. If Bush thought the sentence was
excessive, why not let Libby go to prison until Bush thinks he's served a
proper, (not excessive) time?

It might provide too much free time for him to write an expose.
Old July 9th, 2007, 09:33 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,alt.true-crime,alt.tv.tech.hdtv,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
George Graves

On Mon, 9 Jul 2007 12:12:02 -0700, sechumlib wrote
(in article ):

On 2007-07-09 12:45:18 -0400, George Graves said:

Lying under oath to grand jury is NOT a trivial matter.

Not when applied to Clinton, according to your non-standards. What
about when applied to Lewis Libby?

I repeat, lying under oath is not a trivial matter. Perjury is punishable by
a prison term. I don't care if its Bill Clinton, Lewis Libby, or G.W. Bush.
If someone lies under oath on a witness stand, he or she should be subject
the full weight of the law - irrespective of the perjurer's position or
extenuating circumstances. One either tells the truth while under oath or
one
takes the 5th, where appropriate. There is no third road to take. ANY first
year law student can tell you that. Were that not the case, our system of
jurisprudence would be worthless.

Apparently the Honorable President of the United States disagrees with you.

You're talking about the Libby pardon, I take it? That has nothing to do with
the court or the law practiced in that court. They did their job; which was
to try, and if found guilty, sentence Libby. The fact that Bush used his
executive power to set that sentence aside with a pardon, is his privilege as
president and has nothing whatsoever to with the court and its decision and
sentence. You are really having a problem with these legal concepts, aren't
you?

Old July 9th, 2007, 09:38 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,alt.true-crime,alt.tv.tech.hdtv,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
George Graves

On Mon, 9 Jul 2007 12:13:20 -0700, sechumlib wrote
(in article ):

On 2007-07-09 14:06:37 -0400, Steve Carroll said:

I saw a little vid-clip today that had a couple of people debating the
potential
of "dumbing-down" due to the internet. One would tend to think having
access to
much more information than ever before we'd find people being more
informed...
but one guy's argument was that people are too willing to believe much of
what
they read simply because it was in print on some webpage (or blog). He
may be on
to something...

Some of them may even believe George Graves. That's about as dumbed
down as you can get!

Not believing the letter of the law, which is all I have been quoting, is
more than dumb, its stupid. Everything that I have said in this thread is
verifiable. That you can't seem to understand it or grasp its significance
does not reflect badly on me, it reflects badly on you. IOW, your personal
attacks ring hollow.

Old July 9th, 2007, 09:47 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,alt.true-crime,alt.tv.tech.hdtv,alt.video.divx,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
George Graves

On Mon, 9 Jul 2007 12:15:28 -0700, sechumlib wrote
(in article ):

On 2007-07-09 14:10:43 -0400, George Graves said:

Given most of this thread's respondents grasp of US law (as witnessed by
their inability to understand simple perjury laws) is woefully inadequate,
I'd say very few.

We're not all the kind of Pharisee you are.

No, you're not. You don't know the law, and you don't seem to want to learn
it and you don't seem understand the importance of being compelled to tell
the truth in a court of law. Whether it's stubbornness that makes you this
way, or willful ignorance, or just stupidity is not for me to comment upon,
and I won't.

Old July 9th, 2007, 10:02 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,alt.true-crime,alt.tv.tech.hdtv,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Hatunen

On Mon, 9 Jul 2007 13:33:58 -0700, George Graves
wrote:

You're talking about the Libby pardon, I take it? That has nothing to do with
the court or the law practiced in that court. They did their job; which was
to try, and if found guilty, sentence Libby. The fact that Bush used his
executive power to set that sentence aside with a pardon, is his privilege as
president and has nothing whatsoever to with the court and its decision and
sentence. You are really having a problem with these legal concepts, aren't
you?

You seem to be stuck on legalism and failing to grasp broader
concepts of justice.