Cool weather packing tips?

Old February 13th, 2009, 04:26 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Babie

Default Cool weather packing tips?

I'm about to leave for my first "cool weather" cruise and am at a loss for
packing.

Normally I manage to pack really light, but this is a new cruise line, and a
completely new regions for me.

I'll be flying to Rome for 3 days before boarding the Costa Concordia.
Sailing to: Savona, Athens, Olympia, Rhodes, Izmir (Ephesus), Cypress and
Alexandria.

Watching the 10 day forecast for the ports it appears that Egypt will be the
warmest coming in about 70 (f). With the averages being 55 (high) and 40's
(lows)

It's also supposed to rain in Rome every day I'm there so I need to take
that into consideration.

Here are some of my ideas to help me pack light but still have clothing warm
enough in the cool weather. (Let me say that I don't get cold easily, but
I'd rather be too warm than too cold) I'm taking all earth tones so I can
cut down on the amount of shoes I have to bring.

2 pair of pants (different color) that have zippers at the mid calf and the
knee so they zip off into shorts or long shorts.
3 zip up hoodie sweaters
1 pair cross trainer shoes (for excursions and walking)
1 pair brown dress shoes
1 pair brown leather flip flops
2 or 3 dress sweaters for dinner
2 pair dockers (khaki and brown)

There will be other things like sleep pants and t-shirts, swim trunks and
tank tops etc

I'm torn on a jacket. I thought about taking a light (water proof) wind
breaker but I really don't have one that I consider good enough for such a
big trip. So I'd have to buy a new one (or maybe get a new one in Rome) I'll
have an umbrella so I'm not too concerned about it being water proof, just
light enough to be easy to carry, but warm enough in the cool evenings.

What would you suggest to help me pack light? I'll either be packing clothes
already on hangers or in travel space bags with hangers in the suitcase to
help unpack quickly.

Old February 13th, 2009, 05:08 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

IMO, 3 hoodies is too much (luggage space for a Europe cruise is precious).
Bring some t-shirts that you can layer and one warm sweat shirt. I did my 2
week Norway cruise 3 years ago with just one sweatshirt. And for dinner, I
think 3 sweaters is excessive. Bring 1 IMO.

I also brought a good rain jacket. One that breathes so you don't sweat
like crazy in it. To me, that's actually the most important item. I got a
Marmot jacket, which I've used repeatedly since then. And it fits in a zip
lock bag which then fits in a back pack. Buy it big enough to fit over
multiple layers.
http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/fa...earchSort=TRUE
I wouldn't count on getting a rain jacket in Rome. It's EXTREMELY
expensive, and not sure the selection (leather yes, rain jackets... not
sure). I'd get one ahead of time.

Old February 13th, 2009, 09:49 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Rosalie B.

"Babie" wrote:

[...]

I agree that you don't need so many of these - 2 would be enough.

1 pair cross trainer shoes (for excursions and walking)
1 pair brown dress shoes
1 pair brown leather flip flops
2 or 3 dress sweaters for dinner
2 pair dockers (khaki and brown)

There will be other things like sleep pants and t-shirts, swim trunks and
tank tops etc

I'm torn on a jacket. I thought about taking a light (water proof) wind
breaker but I really don't have one that I consider good enough for such a
big trip. So I'd have to buy a new one (or maybe get a new one in Rome) I'll
have an umbrella so I'm not too concerned about it being water proof, just
light enough to be easy to carry, but warm enough in the cool evenings.

Look at the Overstocks area of Lands End - I got a couple of nice
jackets there. I find that when I'm on the water it is cooler, and we
were in Venice and Barcelona the end of March beginning of April and
my grandson lived in his hoodie. I had a hooded jacket with a zip out
lining, and I was glad to have that. It's a damp cold.

Old February 15th, 2009, 04:53 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian K[_2_]

On 2/13/2009 11:26 AM Babie jumping up and down excitedly ejaculated:
[...]

Will there be formal nights on your cruise? I'm a non traditionalist,
leaning to Fashion Forward. Brown dress shoes are perfect if you like
to mix it up for formal nights. But, if you wish to blend in with the
Fashion Traditionalists, you might be wise to include a pair of dress
shoes in a darker color as brown is not a formal color to the
traditionalist. If you'd like to push the envelope on formal night,
might I suggest wearing Fashion Forward High Heeled Sneakers. They can
be found at: http://www.mydivascloset.com/noname217.html

--
________
Brian M. Kochera
Old February 15th, 2009, 06:18 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Patricia Martin Steward[_2_]

On Sat, 14 Feb 2009 23:53:41 -0500, Brian K
wrote:

If you'd like to push the envelope on formal night,
might I suggest wearing Fashion Forward High Heeled Sneakers. They can
be found at: ...

YIKES, those are fugly!

--
January 20, 2009
The end of an error
Old February 16th, 2009, 09:23 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian K[_2_]

On 2/15/2009 1:18 PM Patricia Martin Steward jumping up and down
excitedly ejaculated:
wrote:

If you'd like to push the envelope on formal night,
might I suggest wearing Fashion Forward High Heeled Sneakers. They can
be found at: ...

YIKES, those are fugly!

--
January 20, 2009
The end of an error

Fashion Forward is not always about cute or pretty. Often it is about
rage against convention. In his earlier days David Letterman was Fashion
Forward when he wore sneakers with an imported Italian Suit. If you
think high heeled sneakers are "fugly", you should see the appropriately
coordinated wig hat. Fashion Forward can be very cruel to the beholder,
challenging notions of beauty. Thirty years back, Debbie Harry was
Fashion Forward when she performed in a dress made from a Hefty Lawn and
Leaf bag. It was accessoriezd with Gucci shoes, a Fendi belt and jewelry
designed by Paloma Picasso. But don't think you can wear a Hefty Bag
dress to day. It's been done, it's so over now. BTW Fugly isn't a bad
thing. A musical group with their roots in Greenwich Village, the Fugs,
made a living out of being Fugly.

--
________
Old February 17th, 2009, 02:43 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Patricia Martin Steward[_2_]

On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 04:23:55 -0500, Brian K
wrote:

Fashion Forward is not always about cute or pretty. Often it is about
rage against convention.

Oh yeah, this cruising newsgroup is SO about rage against convention!
*snork*

--
January 20, 2009
The end of an error
Old February 17th, 2009, 03:10 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article , Brian K
wrote:

Fashion Forward is not always about cute or pretty. Often it is about
rage against convention.

Fashion Forward is not about rage against convention. It is about the
fashion industry working to convince people to toss perfectly usable
garments to sell them something new.

--
Charles