Why do Americans not travel more internationally ?

Old November 6th, 2005, 09:25 AM
markbyrn

Default Why do Americans not travel more internationally ?

Larry,

I think you're on the mark here and I agree the classic US thinking is
short sighted. In fact, I looked up the actual statistics and the
reality seems to support your viewpoint.

Americans make about 60 million trips overseas each year. Total
population is about 295,000,000 and so the maximum percentage of
Americans who travel overseas in any given year is a tad over 20%.
That means at least 8 out of 10 Americans are clueless about the rest
of the world except when they travel to EPCOT at Disney World to visit
the World Showcase.

On the other hand, Australians make about 3.3 million trips overseas
each year. Total population is about 20,000,000 and so the maximum
percentage of Australians who travel overseas in any given year is
about 16.5 percent. So even adjusting for ratio, Australians are less
likely to travel overseas in a given year than Americans. With that in
mind and using Australian classic thinking combined with my anecdotal
observations, one can determine that most Australians are very insular,
don't know anything about other countries, including their own country
as they readily avoid living or traveling beyond a few immediate
coastal areas, and even though US Foreign Policy is marked by numerous
'stuff ups', the Australian government allows Washington to dictate
it's own foreign policy. Dumb & Dumber, eh?

Also, Australia is one of the most xenophobic countries in the world,
right behind North Korea. That might sound outlandish (especially for
Americans that still a foggy remembrance of Crocodile Dundee), but
Australia does not want anybody to visit their country. We know this
because the Australian immigration service requires everybody,
including Americans, Europeans, and even Canadians with those sweet
Maple Leaf flags to obtain visa's (prior to travel and at $20 a pop)
just for the privilege of visiting their down under Shangri-la & former
penal colony. The ONLY exception is for Kiwi's and that's because they
have a cool name and only travel deep into the outback where there's
just a handful of Australian government employees who are desperate to
see a foreigner or any human being for that matter.

Mark

Old November 6th, 2005, 12:42 PM
Alan S

On 6 Nov 2005 00:25:37 -0800, "markbyrn"
wrote:

Also, Australia is one of the most xenophobic countries in the world,
right behind North Korea. That might sound outlandish (especially for
Americans that still a foggy remembrance of Crocodile Dundee), but
Australia does not want anybody to visit their country. We know this
because the Australian immigration service requires everybody,
including Americans, Europeans, and even Canadians with those sweet
Maple Leaf flags to obtain visa's (prior to travel and at $20 a pop)
just for the privilege of visiting their down under Shangri-la & former
penal colony. The ONLY exception is for Kiwi's and that's because they
have a cool name and only travel deep into the outback where there's
just a handful of Australian government employees who are desperate to
see a foreigner or any human being for that matter.

Mark

Darn right too! In these post 11/9 (sorry - 9/11) and post
Bali bombing days we are much too casual about allowing just
about anybody in. We'll have to review the Kiwi situation:-)

Can't argue with any of your points. Of course, driving over
the border to a neighbouring country can make one rather
damp here even if the vehicle has a long snorkel. On
insularity and knowledge, one of my more interesting
experiences was to be complimented, by three different
people, on my good understanding of English. Twice in New
Orleans, in 1967 and 2003, and once in DC in 2003. When I
said thanks but wondered why they seemed impressed, all
three, in slightly different words, made it clear that they
thought Australia was right next to Hungary.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
Old November 6th, 2005, 12:48 PM
Alan S

On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 03:41:38 -0700, DevilsPGD
wrote:

Of course the distance issue is a factor too, I can fly 9 hours without
leaving my country.

So can I. You have slow planes too?

I suspect you mean something like USVI-Alaska or Hawaii. Try
Norfolk Island - Cocos-Keeling. But I must admit, the
populations in those places are a little smaller:-)

Ask a Russian how long he/she can fly and stay in their
country. Provided the Aeroflot stays aloft long enough.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
Old November 6th, 2005, 01:22 PM
Morton

"Alan S" wrote in message
Can't argue with any of your points. Of course, driving over
the border to a neighbouring country can make one rather
damp here even if the vehicle has a long snorkel. On
insularity and knowledge, one of my more interesting
experiences was to be complimented, by three different
people, on my good understanding of English. Twice in New
Orleans, in 1967 and 2003, and once in DC in 2003. When I
said thanks but wondered why they seemed impressed, all
three, in slightly different words, made it clear that they
thought Australia was right next to Hungary.

Well, at least they knew where Hungary was :-)

Old November 6th, 2005, 05:08 PM
B Vaughan

On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 10:44:59 +1100, Alan S wrote:

On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 20:16:49 GMT, "Bill McKee"
wrote:

Big country. Lots to do and see here. Europe is actually a lot of small
countries. So a 2 hour drive gets you international travel, while a 2 hour
drive in California, does not get you out of the state. Statistics are
marvelous aren't they?

Have you driven two hours south of San Diego? Or two hours
north of Buffalo?

The point is that a large proportion of Americans live nowhere near
San Diego or Buffalo.

--
Barbara Vaughan

My email address is my first initial followed by my last name at libero dot it.
Old November 6th, 2005, 05:18 PM
Frank F. Matthews

lid wrote:

On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 02:59:29 GMT, "Frank F. Matthews"
wrote:

larry wrote:

"Frank F. Matthews" wrote in message
. ..

wrote:

The per capita percentage of Americans that travel internationally for
pleasure is low compared to other western nations.

This seems strange, given the relatively high standard of living and
disposable income of Americans.

Although there has been a recent spike of US citizens obtaining
passports, thi sis mainly due to recent legislation and it is doubtful
the passports will increase the amount of travel outside North
America.

Why is the international travel so low ?

Partially because you have to go farther than 100 km to cross a border for
most folks in the US.

The passport spike is because it will be needed for travel in North
America soon.

Probably about the same proportion of US citizens have been 200 miles away

from home they just do that within the US.

These answers are classic US thinking - stats v reality.It does not answer
the question.
I live in Australia where sometimes you have drive all day just to get a
beer.So waht?I travel the world extensively because I have the means and
like to see other countries and meet different cultures.
Americans as a whole are extremely insular, with many not even knowing much
about their own country let alone anything OS.The 'ignorance' is astounding
and accounts for a lot of the stuff ups in foreign policy application.
Having said that, you could'nt wish to meet more friendly,helpful and
grscious people than the Americans - home and abroad.
The only state in the US I have been to is Alaska.Have loved all the other
states - great country,great people.

You clearly lack experience. There is little difference in attitudes.
The question is always phrased in terms of international borders and
structured thus to create an artificial difference.

Frank:
What ARE you talking about?

Personally I agree with the Aussie and I have no idea of what you are
trying to say when you state " The question is always phrased in terms
of international borders and structured thus to create an artificial
difference."

However, that is secondary to the original question.
I originally asked a simple and serious question about the reason why
Americans do not travel internationally as much as people in other
parts of the world seem to do and the discussion immediately evolved
to how big the USA is and how Americans can drive the same distance as
those in Europe and still be in their own country. Sure you can but
crossing a border into New Mexico from Texas is hardly the same as
crossing a border from Slovenia to Italy or anywhere in the US into
Europe.

Let's try the original question again and rephrase
Why do so few Americans travel "abroad" ( overseas ) for pleasure
compared to those in other nations?

If you really want to try a reasonable question then try "What portion
of various nations travel more than 3000 km away from home? That data
might be more interesting.

I work in the travel industry and have had the opportunity to ask
Americans but those are the ones that are traveling. The problem is
that one doesn't get to meet the ones that don't.

Is the reason fear? Is it lack of interest in other cultures? Is it
lack of time? What????

It will be a large variety of reasons. I've met folks who haven't been
over 100 km from home in their lives. And I have met them in North
America in all the countries and in several countries in Europe and
Asia. Some do not travel for economics some from lack of interest.

Old November 6th, 2005, 05:18 PM
sechumlib

Dave Smith wrote:
sechumlib wrote:

Big country. Lots to do and see here. Europe is actually a lot of small
countries. So a 2 hour drive gets you international travel, while a 2 hour
drive in California, does not get you out of the state. Statistics are
marvelous aren't they?

I'm sure that's a large part of it. However, another factor is the
extreme unpleasantness of flying in the US these days, whether
internationally or domestically. This is partly because of the pervasive
and ineffective security measures, and partly because the airlines have
made air travel as horrific as they possibly could.

My wife and I flew extensively before 2001, going to lots of places
inside and out of the US. Since January 2001 (note: LONG BEFORE 9/11),
we have not boarded a plane. Until things change massively, we will NOT
be boarding any planes.

It's no worse that it had been in most other places for years. I flew from
Buffalo to Denver 9/11/02, expecting really serious security on the first
anniversary of 9/11. It was no more stringent that I had experienced at Canadian
and European airports on pre 9/11 flights.

Do you consider that good or bad? I repeat my adjective "ineffective".
Old November 6th, 2005, 05:19 PM
Cathy Kearns

wrote in message

Let's try the original question again and rephrase
Why do so few Americans travel "abroad" ( overseas ) for pleasure
compared to those in other nations?

Is that true? Do less Americans travel over seas for pleasure than people
in other countries? If we are only counting folks that fly across the
Atlantic, are there more Europeans coming this way than North Americans
going that way?