Recommendations for car rental from Athens Airport

Old June 19th, 2011, 02:24 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dan Stephenson

Default Recommendations for car rental from Athens Airport

Hello, in the Fall I will travel to Greece, flying into Athens and
heading to the Pelopponese by car, for maybe 10 days.

There are several car rental places at the airport: Avis, Budget,
Hertz, National/Alamo and Sixt.

Can anyone recommend one more than the rest? I wouldn't be buying the
high-dollar collision damage waiver.

Thanks,
--
Dan Stephenson
http://web.mac.com/stepheda

Old June 23rd, 2011, 08:54 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mike Lane[_2_]

Dan Stephenson wrote on Jun 19, 2011:

Hello, in the Fall I will travel to Greece, flying into Athens and
heading to the Pelopponese by car, for maybe 10 days.

There are several car rental places at the airport: Avis, Budget,
Hertz, National/Alamo and Sixt.

Can anyone recommend one more than the rest? I wouldn't be buying the
high-dollar collision damage waiver.

Thanks,

Wouldn't you be better off travelling to the Peloponnese by public transport
and renting a car from there? That's what I did a few years ago. You would
save yourself the trouble and expense of driving through Athens which is a
place to be avoided these days as far as possible.

I took a ferry from Piraeus to Porto Heli - a small place on the east coast
of the Peloponnese near Spetses - and hired a car there for a week. It was a
very relaxed experience compared to the hassle of Athens.

--
Mike Lane
UK North Yorkshire

Old June 23rd, 2011, 11:46 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim....

"Mike Lane" wrote in message
dia.com...
[...]

Athens airport to the Peloponnese is 100% motorway.

The only time you'll have to stop is to pay the toll

tim

Old June 23rd, 2011, 06:32 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim....

"Martin" wrote in message
On Thu, 23 Jun 2011 11:46:57 +0100, "tim...."
wrote:

"Mike Lane" wrote in message
media.com...
[...]

Why waste time driving and paying per kilometre, if you can start from
a more convenient place?

As the options for this more convenient place a

1)Taking the bus to the Peloponnese presumably from Athens bus station. Any
idea where that is? I'll wager it isn't very convenient
2) Flying to Kalamata. Hm, I wonder how many flights a day that gets from
London/New York or wherever it is that the OP is starting.

They don't seem very convenient to me.

It's a 100 km drive, how hard can it be?

tim

Old June 23rd, 2011, 06:36 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tom P[_6_]

On 06/19/2011 03:24 AM, Dan Stephenson wrote:
Hello, in the Fall I will travel to Greece, flying into Athens and
heading to the Pelopponese by car, for maybe 10 days.

There are several car rental places at the airport: Avis, Budget, Hertz,
National/Alamo and Sixt.

Can anyone recommend one more than the rest? I wouldn't be buying the
high-dollar collision damage waiver.

Thanks,

I can't speak for Athens, but what you might want to consider are
- does the company have an on-airport depot or do you have to wait for
the courtesy bus and even worse, find the depot again when you return
the car. Off-airport depots are a lot cheaper, but driving round at
night in the back streets of some industry park looking for the depot
while the time for your check-in ticks away is no fun.

- do the airline and car rental company have a big fly&drive deal, in
which case you may be standing in line for hours with all the other pax
that booked fly&drive.

Old June 23rd, 2011, 06:38 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim....

"Tom P" wrote in message
On 06/19/2011 03:24 AM, Dan Stephenson wrote:
Hello, in the Fall I will travel to Greece, flying into Athens and
heading to the Pelopponese by car, for maybe 10 days.

There are several car rental places at the airport: Avis, Budget, Hertz,
National/Alamo and Sixt.

Can anyone recommend one more than the rest? I wouldn't be buying the
high-dollar collision damage waiver.

Thanks,

I can't speak for Athens, but what you might want to consider are
- does the company have an on-airport depot or do you have to wait for
the courtesy bus and even worse, find the depot again when you return the
car. Off-airport depots are a lot cheaper, but driving round at night in
the back streets of some industry park looking for the depot while the
time for your check-in ticks away is no fun.

Athens aiport is new build on a large green field site. All the facilities
are in the same place

tim

Old June 23rd, 2011, 08:21 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Runge 128

30 year old useful advice from martin.

"Martin" a écrit dans le message de groupe de discussion :

On Thu, 23 Jun 2011 11:46:57 +0100, "tim...."
wrote:

"Mike Lane" wrote in message
edia.com...
[...]

In the 1980s I had very poor experiences renting from Hertz in Greece.
Avis service and cars were much better. Maybe things have improved.
--

Martin

Old June 24th, 2011, 09:05 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mike Lane[_2_]

tim.... wrote on Jun 23, 2011:

"Martin" wrote in message
On Thu, 23 Jun 2011 11:46:57 +0100, "tim...."
wrote:

"Mike Lane" wrote in message
dia.com...
[...]

Or:
3) Bus to Piraeus (leaves from airport outside arrivals), then100 metre walk
to ferry gets you to Ermioni, or Porto Heli in the Peloponnese.

I know which I would rather do.

--
Mike Lane
UK North Yorkshire

Old June 24th, 2011, 11:35 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim....

"Martin" wrote in message
On Thu, 23 Jun 2011 18:32:57 +0100, "tim...."
wrote:

"Martin" wrote in message
. ..
On Thu, 23 Jun 2011 11:46:57 +0100, "tim...."
wrote:

"Mike Lane" wrote in message
inmedia.com...
[...]

I flew from South America via Paris to Athens and changed planes to
get to Kalamata.

and how much waiting around at Athens did you have to do? (Skyscanner show
one flight a day)

And how much did it add to the cost?

They don't seem very convenient to me.

It's a 100 km drive, how hard can it be?

100 km drive to where?

Peloponnese. he's going to be there for 10 days, so he's going to be
covering all of it. If he starts off in the south west he's still going to
have to drive to the bit in the NE

tim

Old June 24th, 2011, 11:45 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim....

"Mike Lane" wrote in message
dia.com...
tim.... wrote on Jun 23, 2011:

"Martin" wrote in message
On Thu, 23 Jun 2011 11:46:57 +0100, "tim...."
wrote:

"Mike Lane" wrote in message
dia.com...
[...]

But the guy is still going to be hiring the car (presumably) to go touring.
Why **** around lugging your bags on/off a ferry to save a 100km (one hour)
drive?

And what happens if when he get to Piraeus the next ferry is full?

tim