Buying European Train tickets

Old August 23rd, 2004, 07:35 AM
Daniel

"Hatunen" wrote in message
On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 16:16:50 +0000, bobz
wrote:

"bobz" wrote in message
m...
Hey all:

I will be crossing Europe
(Norway/Estonia/Latvia/Lithuania/Poland/Germany/France/UK) in Oct-
ober
and
November, but I do not know my schedule yet. In fact, I will pro-
bably
decise as I go along.

My question is whether buying tickets on the go would be much more
ex-
pensive
than reserving and pre-purchasing long in advance. I know its a
gene-
ral
question, but what do you all think?

Daniel
Get a European train pass jobby, save a fortune, and if you know yo-
ur
times, book...they can be bloody long slogs on the train waiting in
the
corridors with out air con otherwise....

Thanks...

Which trainpass would cover Estonia/Latvia/Lithuania/Poland?

Do a google...I wouldn't know bout that side of Europe I'm afriad...

There are none.

Exactly. Hence my question.

Old August 23rd, 2004, 04:14 PM
jenn

Hatunen wrote:

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 16:09:28 +0100, "Thomas"
wrote:

Get a European train pass jobby, save a fortune, and if you know your
times, book...they can be bloody long slogs on the train waiting in the
corridors with out air con otherwise....

Yes I remember spending 61/2 hours standing between Rome and Pisa in the
August heat no air con, and barely enough standing room. It pays to book
ahead if you travel at weekends.

And seat reservations can be well worth it.

we have found thhe most convenient way to book is through local travel
agents who can issue the tickets, make reserved seats, get the best
deals and you can also spare yourself the half hour lines at most train
stations and then the short tempered ticket sales person who is not
about to give you a diquisition on the best deals

Old August 23rd, 2004, 04:15 PM
Hatunen

wrote:

Get a European train pass jobby, save a fortune, and if you know your
times, book...they can be bloody long slogs on the train waiting in the
corridors with out air con otherwise....

Yes I remember spending 61/2 hours standing between Rome and Pisa in the
August heat no air con, and barely enough standing room. It pays to book
ahead if you travel at weekends.

And seat reservations can be well worth it.

we have found thhe most convenient way to book is through local travel
agents who can issue the tickets, make reserved seats, get the best
deals and you can also spare yourself the half hour lines at most train
stations and then the short tempered ticket sales person who is not
about to give you a diquisition on the best deals

And I've found there are times of day when the queues in the rail
stations are minimal. So I try to drop by a station first chance
I get while out and about.

Old August 23rd, 2004, 06:22 PM
Martin Bienwald

I will be crossing Europe
(Norway/Estonia/Latvia/Lithuania/Poland/Germany/France/UK) in October and
November, but I do not know my schedule yet. In fact, I will probably
decise as I go along.

There are no train connections between Estonia and Latvia any more, and
only very limited train connections between Latvia and Lithuania.

My question is whether buying tickets on the go would be much more expensive
than reserving and pre-purchasing long in advance.

Probably not. Especially, buying train tickets for Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania
and Poland is more expensive if you do it from abroad AFAIK.

Trains are not heavily used in the Baltic countries, so you can expect to
get a seat reservation (which is compulsory and included in the ticket)
on the spot.

In Germany, advance booking is only cheaper for return tickets. As you
seem to need one-way-tickets, you can buy them on the go anyway. Tickets
bought from touch-screen ticket machines include a free seat reservation.

France has special offers (called "Prems") available on the Internet
(www.voyages-sncf.com).

I don't know much about today's fares in UK - probably a rail pass would be
your best bet there.

.... Martin

Old May 7th, 2013, 07:32 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

Default daily deals in washington DC

Save money on New look Deals with the Daily Deal. Check back every day for great daily deals in Washington DC at New Look Deals