Buy backpack with frame or not?

Old October 10th, 2003, 04:46 PM
Lehar V. Osvald

Default Buy backpack with frame or not?

I need a backpack to go traveling with. I need to put my laptop
computer in it (to help disguise it and hence prevent theft), but
don't want the kind of backpack thats designed to carry a laptop. I
will put the laptop in its padded case and put the case inside the
backpack. I also want the backpack to hold lots of other stuff too, so
it has to be fairly big.

I don't know anything about backpacks, unfortunately. I've always used
cheap ones and I have one problem with them--my back sweats heavily
and this gets the pack dirty after a while. I have started shopping
and I see that there are packs with two long aluminum things attached
beneath the shoulder straps. I assume this is what is called an
"external frame" backpack.

Can anyone tell me what the advantage is of a backpack with a frame
over one that doesnt have a frame? In my case, putting a heavy (12
pound) laptop in the case, along with a lot of other stuff, is an
external frame going to help this be easier to carry? But what do I do
when I want to give the backpack a bath? How can you water-clean it
with those aluminum things stuck in there? The ones I saw in the
(cheap) store did not seem to be removable, but I could be wrong.

I think I read somewhere that the external frame prevents the back
sweating problem. Is this true?

Thanks for your assistance.
Old October 10th, 2003, 05:14 PM
Alton Jay Mitchell

There a lots of pros and cons on the two designs and I'm sure you'll get a lot
more detailed comparisons from others. You need to consider how you'll use the
pack, when (2 or 4 season), your build, and load. To get you started, you might
take a look at: http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backpack. It is a start at some
of your selection criteria.

Jay

Old October 10th, 2003, 05:59 PM
Volker Hetzer

"Lehar V. Osvald" schrieb im Newsbeitrag om...
I don't know anything about backpacks, unfortunately. I've always used
cheap ones and I have one problem with them--my back sweats heavily
and this gets the pack dirty after a while. I have started shopping
and I see that there are packs with two long aluminum things attached
beneath the shoulder straps. I assume this is what is called an
"external frame" backpack.

How many litres you want the pack to have space for?
If you want less than around 45 you might want to consider the deuter series.
Their air comfort system has a mesh suspended by two slim spring steel
blades that tighten the mesh even more once the pack is loaded. It has
a real airspace between the mesh and the pack.
http://www.deuter.com/cms/front_content.php?idcat=70

If you want more than 50L you probably want a pack with a REAL good hip
belt so that the pack sits on top of your hip and the shoulder straps only prevent
the pack from falling off. Then you can loosen the straps to such a degree that
the pack dangles around your back as much as you are willing to tolerate.

Lots of Greetings!
Volker

Old October 10th, 2003, 09:36 PM
The moderator

"Lehar V. Osvald" wrote in message
om...
I don't know anything about backpacks, unfortunately. I've always used
cheap ones and I have one problem with them--my back sweats heavily
and this gets the pack dirty after a while. I have started shopping
and I see that there are packs with two long aluminum things attached
beneath the shoulder straps. I assume this is what is called an
"external frame" backpack.

The long aluminum things you describe are called 'stays'. The are used in
larger internal packs to provide support and enhance the suspension of the
pack. An external frame pack has a tubular rack on the outside of the pack.
..

Old October 10th, 2003, 11:30 PM
Chris HIll

Hello Lehar:
The best pack for you is found by trying them on for fit. I have two packs
one external for long hauls, one internal for mountianeering. Don't be shy
once you're in the store, put some weight in the pack have the retailer show
you the adjustment features, and walk around for a while.

Chris

Old October 11th, 2003, 04:00 AM
Bruce W...1

"Lehar V. Osvald" wrote:

[...]

If your pack will involve airline travel I'd get an internal frame.

Backpacks don't take baths.
Old October 11th, 2003, 04:24 PM
Lehar V. Osvald

Thanks for the advice. I see now that the backpacks I'm looking at are
not external frame, they are just cheap backpacks with those aluminum
stays (which I found out today can be removed.) I'm not looking at
$300 backpacks, I'm looking in discount stores at $12 to $20 backpacks
(of course, I'm living in a third world country, so these packs are
probably the same as $50 backpacks you might find in Wal-Mart or
wherever)

I'm not sure how many liters I'm looking for, I just kind of look at
the backpack and ask myself if it's about the size I need.

So what is the advantage of these aluminum stays? I could get a cheap
pack with them or without them.

Thanks everyone.
Old October 11th, 2003, 08:56 PM
Raoul Duke

Thanks for the advice. I see now that the backpacks I'm looking at are
not external frame, they are just cheap backpacks with those aluminum
stays (which I found out today can be removed.) I'm not looking at
$300 backpacks, I'm looking in discount stores at $12 to $20 backpacks
(of course, I'm living in a third world country, so these packs are
probably the same as $50 backpacks you might find in Wal-Mart or
wherever)

I'm not sure how many liters I'm looking for, I just kind of look at
the backpack and ask myself if it's about the size I need.

So what is the advantage of these aluminum stays? I could get a cheap
pack with them or without them.

The stays give the pack support, so it doesn't hug your back like a limp
noodle. The stays also help transfer the load off of your shoulders and
onto your hip (via the hip belt), which gives the shoulders some relief.

You should give the most consideration to the shoulder straps and hipbelt,
as these components will dictate whether the pack will be comfortable or
not.

If you are looking for a pack that will allow your back to breathe more, you
might want to consider an external frame pack (one with external stays).
You see, the aluminum stays and mesh backing create a void between your back
and the pack itself, thus allowing air to circulate, and thus keeping your
back cool. Internal frame packs, on the other hand, rest right up against
your back, which prevents air from circulating between your back and the
pack, and which results in a sweaty back. Some newer, more expensive
I-frame (internal stays) packs have designs that allow your back to breathe,
but it sounds like these are beyond your budget.

My $.02,

RD

Old October 12th, 2003, 05:09 AM
Bruce W...1

"Lehar V. Osvald" wrote:

Thanks for the advice. I see now that the backpacks I'm looking at are
not external frame, they are just cheap backpacks with those aluminum
stays (which I found out today can be removed.) I'm not looking at
$300 backpacks, I'm looking in discount stores at $12 to $20 backpacks
(of course, I'm living in a third world country, so these packs are
probably the same as $50 backpacks you might find in Wal-Mart or
wherever)

I'm not sure how many liters I'm looking for, I just kind of look at
the backpack and ask myself if it's about the size I need.

So what is the advantage of these aluminum stays? I could get a cheap
pack with them or without them.

Thanks everyone.

The internal stays are a very good thing. Without them it's just a
rucksack. For comfort, the more frame the better.

I could get in to higher ultralight philosophies like the contents of
the pack are the frame. i.e. if you jam-pack everything into a bag it
becomes stiff. But that's beyond your needs or understanding.

Just get a pack with internal aluminum or titanium stays and you're
done.
Old October 14th, 2003, 08:37 PM
Brian Sniatkowski

Since travel is your primary use, I'd go with an internal frame travel
type pack. The frame packs will be too bulky for travel. Many
manufacturers make packs that have handles on the side and zip away
straps, to convert your pack to a suitcase. LL Bean sells a nice one
and most major pack manufacturers have at least one in their line.