Schenectady, NY?

Old September 28th, 2006, 02:35 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
John Ramsay

Default Schenectady, NY?

123456789 wrote:

"John Ramsay" wrote in message

123456789 wrote:

Hello,

I'll be travelling down from Lake Placid to NYC in October.

Basically, I'm
trying to cut the trip in half with an overnight rest somewhere. Lake
George might be out of the question since I'd already have been

there for
several days and I'd rather get closer to NYC than that.

How's Schenectady? Might anyone envision getting to it from I-87 as
troublesome?...and defeating the purpose?

I was also considering Saratoga. Any thoughts?

Note: I'd already done this whole trip last year and am familiar

with how
long that ride back can be.

As noted, Wolf Rd in Albany is your best bet.

There's more motels just around the corner on Central Ave,
with Colonie Mall at the intersection for shopping.

We have stayed at the Comfort Inn and the Super 8 and
found both quite satisfactory.

You can get to downtown Albany easily via Central Ave
and you're also just off I-87.

On one of the trips we also drove thru
Schenectady to see what there was to
see. Wasn't much -

Funny. We get a kick out of visiting Walmarts, Chinese Buffets, the odd
Dollar Store, and local Chinatowns near and far. So, methinks we'll fit
right in. Though I somehow doubt Colonie's big enough to have a

Chinatown I
think you get the gist of what I mean. After 3 nights in Lake George, 4
nights in Plattsburgh I think I'd've had enough. We really do get a

kick out
of new/old towns and such.

btw, the Super 8 wasn't stinky? We have bad memories from way long ago.
Smelly rooms and have since never been to a Super 8 ever again because of
that. But maybe it all depends on the particular location?

Yes, it does depend on location.

Wolf Rd is the airport strip with higher priced hotels
near the airport and lower priced around the corner
on Central. They all have to keep up with each other.

We've had a couple of old Super 8 experiences too
but this one is newish or renovated.

My wife had no complaints. She said it was as
good as the Comfort Inn except it didn't have a pool.

Meantime the Comfort Inn now has an indoor, heated
pool. Good for aching legs -

Old September 28th, 2006, 04:32 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Dave Smith

123456789 wrote:

Hello,

I'll be travelling down from Lake Placid to NYC in October. Basically, I'm
trying to cut the trip in half with an overnight rest somewhere. Lake George
might be out of the question since I'd already have been there for several
days and I'd rather get closer to NYC than that.

How's Schenectady? Might anyone envision getting to it from I-87 as
troublesome?...and defeating the purpose?

I was also considering Saratoga. Any thoughts?

It's been about 15 years since I passed through those two places, but I would
say Saratogo hands down over Schenectady. Saratogo looked like a really nice
place. Schenectady didn't.

Old September 28th, 2006, 01:53 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
sechumlib

On 2006-09-27 20:34:17 -0400, "123456789" said:

If you're crazy like me then speeding along there is quite the joy.
Luckily there was no one else along the way.....(kinda like the
twilight zone)....not even the police thankfully for which I'd've
gotten a ticket or two.

That's usually the pattern on the Taconic, at least north of
Poughkeepsie. And yes, it is a beautiful road. When my wife and I go to
eat at the CIA (up here it's the Culinary Institute of America, south
of Hyde Park) we now take the Taconic, even though the Thruway may be
marginally shorter and faster.

Old September 28th, 2006, 01:54 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
sechumlib

On 2006-09-27 23:32:11 -0400, Dave Smith said:

123456789 wrote:

Hello,

I'll be travelling down from Lake Placid to NYC in October. Basically, I'm
trying to cut the trip in half with an overnight rest somewhere. Lake George
might be out of the question since I'd already have been there for several
days and I'd rather get closer to NYC than that.

How's Schenectady? Might anyone envision getting to it from I-87 as
troublesome?...and defeating the purpose?

I was also considering Saratoga. Any thoughts?

It's been about 15 years since I passed through those two places, but I would
say Saratogo hands down over Schenectady. Saratogo looked like a really nice
place. Schenectady didn't.

Saratoga (note spelling) is also right on I-87.

Old September 28th, 2006, 10:13 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
TheNewsGuy(Mike)

123456789 wrote:

...Schenectady...

Gesundheit. ;-)

--
Seinfeld Lists http://tinyurl.com/f7k9d
California Photos http://tinyurl.com/ann2l
Old September 29th, 2006, 01:15 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
123456789

"TheNewsGuy(Mike)" wrote in message
123456789 wrote:

...Schenectady...

Gesundheit. ;-)

Hehehe

Old October 13th, 2006, 03:58 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Don Shorock

If I were going to NYC I would take the Taconic Parkway instead of the
thruway. Cheaper and nicer scenery.
,;

If you'll take the advice of someone living in central Kansas, I'd
second the suggestion that you use the Taconic instead of the Thruway
since you're turning the trip into a 2-day vacation trip instead of a
rush trip.

How does someone in Kansas have any authority for making a
recommendation for travel in New York state?

(1) Parents lived in NJ. Aunt & Uncle lived in Vermont. Made the trip
several times and eventually learned that the Taconic was the only way
to get to Vermont in a good mood.

(2) Spent ten summers (1964-1973) as one of the travel counselors at the
Esso/Humble/Exxon Touring Service in Rockefeller Center.

Old October 13th, 2006, 09:00 AM
BillyHoyle BillyHoyle is offline
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123456789
Hello,

I'll be travelling down from Lake Placid to NYC in October. Basically, I'm
trying to cut the trip in half with an overnight rest somewhere. Lake George
might be out of the question since I'd already have been there for several
days and I'd rather get closer to NYC than that.

How's Schenectady? Might anyone envision getting to it from I-87 as
troublesome?...and defeating the purpose?

I was also considering Saratoga. Any thoughts?

Note: I'd already done this whole trip last year and am familiar with how
long that ride back can be.
Couldn't resist the trivia: Schenectady is Pat Riley's home town (and it's fun on the tounge).
Old October 14th, 2006, 03:26 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Bill in Schenectady

"BillyHoyle" wrote in message

123456789 Wrote:
Hello,

I'll be travelling down from Lake Placid to NYC in October. Basically,
I'm
trying to cut the trip in half with an overnight rest somewhere. Lake
George
might be out of the question since I'd already have been there for
several
days and I'd rather get closer to NYC than that.

How's Schenectady? Might anyone envision getting to it from I-87 as
troublesome?...and defeating the purpose?

I was also considering Saratoga. Any thoughts?

Note: I'd already done this whole trip last year and am familiar with
how
long that ride back can be.

Couldn't resist the trivia: Schenectady is Pat Riley's home town (and
it's fun on the tounge).

I missed the beginning of this thread, but I live in Schenectady, so I'll
try to respond. First of all, Saratoga Springs may be a more enjoyable stay
over as it is a town set up for visitors with lots of hotels, restaurants
and night life, if you like that.

Schenectady is an industrial/residential city. It has a few very
interesting walking neighborhoods, chiefly the Stockade (the old 1700's
colonial area off lower Union Street) and the GE Realty Plot, with 100 year
old mansions originally built for GE executives.

Depending on your budget, there are a couple of interesting lodging choices.
The Stockade Inn has restored rooms in a Victorian era setting and also has
a fine restaurant. The Parker House, next door to Proctor's Theater
downtown is a bit high end but is doing a decent business, especially when
there is an event at Proctors. But much of downtown Schenectady is under
construction. After years of deterioration, Schenectady is getting a major
Proctors arts center expansion, a new downtown movie complex, a new downtown
hotel, and several new bars and restaurants. But it's not quite there yet
if you're looking for an active night life.

As for getting there from 87, the easiest to describe is to take Route 7
west from 87 about ten miles.

Even though I live in Schenectady and am fond of the place, if I was in your
shoes, I'd go for Saratoga. It's very walkable with lots of restaurants and
activity.