Advice needed

Old January 4th, 2007, 03:49 PM posted to rec.travel.caribbean
jshardy

Default Advice needed

My wife and I are planning a 10th anniversary trip to the Caribbean.
Unfortunately, the only time we can go is over spring break. What are
the spring break "party places" to avoid?

We're leaning toward staying at the Four Seasons Nevis. As you can
probably guess, we're looking at upscale hotels rather than a
cottage/B&B type place. Are there other lesser-known upscale hotels
that we should consider?

Thanks in advance

Old January 4th, 2007, 04:11 PM posted to rec.travel.caribbean
[email protected]

My husband and I are planning our 10th anniversary trip to the
Caribbean as well! The only time we can go would be the first week of
May and we have no idea of where to go to get a good resort. We are
also looking for something upscale. Could you please let me know what
you find out. We really need help in planning this trip.
Thanks!

Old January 5th, 2007, 08:50 AM posted to rec.travel.caribbean
Brian K

On 1/4/2007 9:49 AM jshardy wrote:
My wife and I are planning a 10th anniversary trip to the Caribbean.
Unfortunately, the only time we can go is over spring break. What are
the spring break "party places" to avoid?

We're leaning toward staying at the Four Seasons Nevis. As you can
probably guess, we're looking at upscale hotels rather than a
cottage/B&B type place. Are there other lesser-known upscale hotels
that we should consider?

Thanks in advance

You might look at Lost Hotels http://losthotels.com/ They feature B&B
and boutique hotels around the world. Here are a few that I or friends
have stayed at and enjoyed: Cala Luna at Tamarindo, Costa Rica, Mata
Chica Beach Resort at Ambergris Cay Belize (If you love to scuba, or
snorkel you can't beat Ambergris Caye it's a great location for these
activities. Mata Chica also has other activities including just lazing
in a beach lounge sipping a tropical drink. Long Bay Hotel is in
St.Johns, Antigua.

You will note that I didn't mention anywhere near Cancun, St Croix,
Aruba or Turks & Caicos all popular Spring Break spots.

Here's my strategy for avoiding Spring Breakers, 1) Economic if you can
afford it stay someplace where spring breakers or their mommies and
daddies can't afford., 2) Stay somewhere that is off the beaten path and
doesn't offer a "downtown with bars and dance clubs where they can run
riot". If you look at the suggested hotels, none mention being near any
town. The alternative is to do a cruise on a Seven Seas, or Crystal
cruise line ship. Most breakers will book on Carnival or Royal Caribbean.

--
____
Brian M. Kochera
Old January 5th, 2007, 01:41 PM posted to rec.travel.caribbean
Rita Daggett

My husband and I are planning our 10th anniversary trip to the
Caribbean as well! The only time we can go would be the first week of
May and we have no idea of where to go to get a good resort. We are
also looking for something upscale. Could you please let me know what
you find out. We really need help in planning this trip.
Thanks!

Eastwinds in St Lucia - small, fantastic food and wine, wont attract
children/teenagers.
Or Anse Chastenet also St Lucia and in more scenic part of the island, but
more expensive.
Ladera (also in south of St Lucia) gets some good reviews too.

Old January 5th, 2007, 06:24 PM posted to rec.travel.caribbean
Tom Withycombe

In article , Rita Daggett
writes

My husband and I are planning our 10th anniversary trip to the
Caribbean as well! The only time we can go would be the first week of
May and we have no idea of where to go to get a good resort. We are
also looking for something upscale. Could you please let me know what
you find out. We really need help in planning this trip.
Thanks!

Eastwinds in St Lucia - small, fantastic food and wine, wont attract
children/teenagers.
Or Anse Chastenet also St Lucia and in more scenic part of the island, but
more expensive.
Ladera (also in south of St Lucia) gets some good reviews too.

Anse Chastanet is a good suggestion... take a look at it's new Jade
Mountain facility - http://www.jademountainstlucia.com. Ladera is also
very good but a long way from a beach. Has Eastwinds changed hands
recently? I believe the Italian gentleman who owned has been very ill.
--
Tom Withycombe
Dorset/UK

Old January 7th, 2007, 01:18 AM posted to rec.travel.caribbean
Tragik Magik

If you are planning on a trip to Nevis, which is gorgeous, I have been
there 20 times, then consider a Villa. Believe it or not it is much
cheaper than 4 seasons, which really in my opinion is a "Tourist Trap"
A villa will afford you much more privacy, and a lot of freedom. No
more $ 8.00 for a Miller Lite.

I have several websites about Nevis

Villa Rentals www.villasofnevis.com

The "Non-Tourist-Trap" Guide to Nevis www.nevis1.com

The "Non-Tourist-Trap" Blog about Nevis www.nevisblog.com

Don't get me wrong 4 seasons is beautiful, it is just not
Nevis....more like Miami Beach moved south. Stay somewhere else and
have a visit at 4 seasons to see all the "Dead Common Tourists"
drinking Budweiser, having a Cheeseburger, and listing to Jimmy
Buffet.

Happy Anniversary....10 years is a milestone these day!

Old January 8th, 2007, 01:16 PM posted to rec.travel.caribbean
Rita Daggett

....Has Eastwinds changed hands
recently? I believe the Italian gentleman who owned has been very ill.
--
Tom Withycombe
Dorset/UK

Yes, apparently a couple who used to holiday a lot there have bought it, but
left the same manager in charge (Gareth). We had some info at Xmas - afraid
I cant remember the new owners name or nationality but possibly American.
Hopefully it will stay much the same as it was!