Advice needed!

Old October 3rd, 2004, 01:51 PM
Phil

Default Advice needed!

Hey all,

Going to be buying an inter rail ticket for travelling around Europe
in March. Going for the all zones pass for one month. Looking to fit
in AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE. Just would like any advice people can offer
about anything you may think would be helpful. I do have some specific
questions tho.

Reasonably how many citys would I be able to fit in? We were planning
on getting in 1 city every 3 days, obviously taking into consideration
travel time.

Do you need to book train tickets ahead of time? Or simply turn up?

Would you suggest bringing travellers cheques or what? Its mostly euro
countrys anyway, but I dont want to be carrying around cash (theft
risk) and getting it changed all the time.

Anything you would suggest I HAVE to see, preferably not touristy
stuff. Would prefer off the beaten track and all that.

You dont have to include Britain or Ireland as Im only going to the
continent!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Phil
Old October 3rd, 2004, 02:17 PM
chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn

Phil wrote:

[]
Reasonably how many citys would I be able to fit in? We were planning
on getting in 1 city every 3 days, obviously taking into consideration
travel time.

Not unreasonable in my opinion, but the pace would horrify some people.
You may want to consider a circular route of some sort- perhaps aiming
to limit your travel time on a 'travel day' to around 3 hours at most.
The possibilities are endless. Go to
http://www.bahn.de/pv/view/int_guest...l_guests.shtml
to get an idea on travel times.

It will depend a lot on what you enjoy doing. I'm a train fan, so the
train journey is always an interesting part of the vacation for me. You
may want to include a few overnight journeys as well, which will save
time between further away destinations.

Do you need to book train tickets ahead of time? Or simply turn up?

It depends on the train service, and you may need to pay supplements on
some services. Good planning is essential, or rather, having a good idea
of your travel options- that still allows some flexibility.

Would you suggest bringing travellers cheques or what?

No, bring your ATM card.

Its mostly euro
countrys anyway, but I dont want to be carrying around cash (theft
risk) and getting it changed all the time.

Indeed. If you're in many Euro countries, then you won't need to worry
about taking out too much money. With non-euro countries, try and limit
your withdrawals as much as possible to what you think you'll spend
there. I made similar trips pre-Euro, and it was a pain in the neck!

Anything you would suggest I HAVE to see, preferably not touristy
stuff.

Too wide a question for me to answer. What are your interests?

Would prefer off the beaten track and all that.

There's a beautifully preserved aquaduct outside Tarragona, which is an
hour south of Barcelona on the train- a bus goes nearby. Hardly anyone
was there when we visited it in June just a few local kids. It was
magnificent. That kind of thing?

I'd suggest you first have a think about exactly what your expectations
of the trip are. I know people who've travelled every day, and really
enjoyed the experience. It doesn't appeal to other travellers though, so
it's going to be very much based on what you want out if. Have a look at
the bahn website, which is an excellent source of timetable information.
This will give you some more ideas I think.

David

--
David Horne- www.davidhorne.net
Old October 4th, 2004, 12:48 AM
Steltzjr

Anything you would suggest I HAVE to see, preferably not touristy stuff.

If you HAVE to see it, it will be touristy stuff.

Old October 4th, 2004, 06:50 PM
j.e.r.

(Phil) wrote in message . com...
Hey all,

Going to be buying an inter rail ticket for travelling around Europe
in March. Going for the all zones pass for one month. Looking to fit
in AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE. Just would like any advice people can offer
about anything you may think would be helpful. I do have some specific
questions tho.

March is not really tourist season outside Winter sports
and vacation resorts you probably better avoid (overcrowded,
overpriced), expect many places to be closed. Weatherwise,
NE will definitely be colder than SW, but expect cold
temperatures almost everywhere.

Reasonably how many citys would I be able to fit in? We were planning
on getting in 1 city every 3 days, obviously taking into consideration
travel time.

Not what I would do, but feasible. Consider night trains
for saving travel time and money (if you can get sleep
while travelling on a train)

Do you need to book train tickets ahead of time? Or simply turn up?

Depends on train and tickets. Check carefully ticket
conditions. For some trains seat reservation is mandatory.

Would you suggest bringing travellers cheques or what? Its mostly euro
countrys anyway, but I dont want to be carrying around cash (theft
risk) and getting it changed all the time.

TC at best for emergency situations. ATM is it.
Check with your bank before leaving, might also be
worth to compare cost for different accounts/cards.

Anything you would suggest I HAVE to see, preferably not touristy
stuff. Would prefer off the beaten track and all that.

But expect to run into a language problem if you dont
have more than just some basic knowledge of local
language[s] whenever leaving major business or tourist
centers.

You dont have to include Britain or Ireland as Im only going to the
continent!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Use Youth Hostels not only for cost reasons, but also
contacts with other travellers. Ferries also are good
places for meeting people with hopefully comparable
travel plans. If not already done, learn at least the
few key words you should know in local language wherever
you plan to travel (such as, but not limited to "hello",
"thank you", "sorry, could you please help me", "I speak
only ...., but no ..." ....)

Cheers,
Phil

and have a great and safe trip!

Hans

Old October 4th, 2004, 11:24 PM
Bob Fusillo

Don't knock the "touristy" stuff. It is touristy because it is good.. I
snobbed the "touristy" places in Paris my first few visits -- I finally
"stooped" to going to them and discovered that they were the best sites in
town.
rjf

om...

Old October 6th, 2004, 11:13 AM
Deep Frayed Morgues

(Phil) wrote in message . com...
[...]

Oh boy, here we go again!!!

So you wanna do Europe in one month huh? Well, it is kinda possible,
but you need to perform a balancing act between coverage, cost, and
enjoyment. Moving every 3 days for a month is very tiring, and after a
month, you will be on the verge of madness. Allow about 1 day in 5 as
a rest day, so you can do your washing, put your feet up, and plan a
bit. Don't bother planning your schedule ahead too tightly, as you
clearly are not certain as to exactly what you want to see yet, so
plan to make it up a bit as you go. For one month, I would suggest
sticking to the well trodden path, in countries such as Germany,
France, Netherlands, Italy, Czech Rep, and Spain. Even that would be
very ambititious to try to see the main cities in each.

Get a good guide book NOW. The most popular ones are Lonely Planet,
Rough Guide, and Rick Steves (whoever that is, I don't know). This
will help you get an idea of what you want. Come back here after that
if you have some specific questions.

BTW, this type of travel is often scorned, and for good reasons. You
wont really be able to soak up any European culture at that speed, and
you will be exhausted at the end of it. Seriously consider doing less
at a slower speed.
---
DFM
Old October 6th, 2004, 09:57 PM
jenn

Bob Fusillo wrote:

Don't knock the "touristy" stuff. It is touristy because it is good.. I
snobbed the "touristy" places in Paris my first few visits -- I finally
"stooped" to going to them and discovered that they were the best sites in
town.
rjf

good point -- the well visited places made that list for a reason -- it
is sort of like 'little known works' by Beethoven or Mozart or whomever
-- given the fabulous stuff they composed -- if something is 'little
known' there is probably a good reason for it to be so

In Rome the Pantheon is on everyone's punch list --- but it is my
favorite place nevertheless -- and the Colosseum is fascinating etc etc
Old October 7th, 2004, 01:32 AM
Thomas Raml

Deep Frayed Morgues wrote:

(Phil) wrote in message
. com...
Hey all,

Going to be buying an inter rail ticket for travelling around
Europe in March. Going for the all zones pass for one month.
Looking to fit in AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE. Just would like any advice
people can offer about anything you may think would be helpful. I
do have some specific questions tho.

Reasonably how many citys would I be able to fit in? We were
planning on getting in 1 city every 3 days, obviously taking into
consideration travel time.

Do you need to book train tickets ahead of time? Or simply turn up?

Would you suggest bringing travellers cheques or what? Its mostly
euro countrys anyway, but I dont want to be carrying around cash
(theft risk) and getting it changed all the time.

Nowadys bring your ATM Card.

Anything you would suggest I HAVE to see, preferably not touristy
stuff. Would prefer off the beaten track and all that.

See the tourist stuff!!!! you'll regret it if you didn't (at least 3
to 10 years later, when you realize
a) I'll never can come back there
b) on your next trip you can estimate what's worth revisiting for a
"in depth" journey, you know what's worth and where (not) to go.

Oh boy, here we go again!!!

So you wanna do Europe in one month huh? Well, it is kinda possible,
but you need to perform a balancing act between coverage, cost, and
enjoyment. Moving every 3 days for a month is very tiring, and after
a month, you will be on the verge of madness. Allow about 1 day in 5
as a rest day, so you can do your washing, put your feet up, and
plan a bit.

If you'r going Interrail, who's gonna ask about cleanliness (I've read
right here about the american obsession about washing), you'r travel
by train, and trains are dirty, even more in the south (_not_ the
expensive, surplus, _fast_ trains). you're get to sleep in the
trains, when I remember correctly either standing in some corner or
in the spare room btween the carriages
BTW youth hostels or railway stations give lots of opportunities to
have a douche.
Don't bother planning your schedule ahead too tightly,
as you clearly are not certain as to exactly what you want to see
yet, so plan to make it up a bit as you go. For one month, I would
suggest sticking to the well trodden path, in countries such as
Germany, France, Netherlands, Italy, Czech Rep, and Spain. Even that
would be very ambititious to try to see the main cities in each.

Recommend that, you get good tips at every youth hostel from your
fellow mates.

Come back here after
that if you have some specific questions.

_Do not_ take one of those huge backpacks with you! There are in
_every_ train station only 10 to 20 large baggage holders, that will
take your super duper backpack. When Possible, take over your baggage
to an individual in a counter __ _do_ ask, for opening hours. _Do_
pack lightly, many underwear, socks, rest can be abandoned and bought
cheaply. Be sure to have with you a (sort of) swiss knife/letherman,
a really reliable duct tape and sewing necessities?? (spelling?).
Ihave saved the trip for someone else years ago with these.
Medication is up to you (ASS and tablets for "Montezumas REvenge")

sigh
have ranted too long on old memories (but the experiences (then) are
nevertheless true)
BTW, this type of travel is often scorned, and for good reasons. You
wont really be able to soak up any European culture at that speed,
and you will be exhausted at the end of it. Seriously consider doing
less at a slower speed.
---
DFM

Now guessing...

if the OP is in his early twenties, he can certainly do mainland
europe by Interrail. Granted, he ca'nt soak up "culture", but he/she
might be tempted to come back to explore sites, where not enough time
was spent on the last trip.

_That_, of course keeps me busy travelling round europe (my preferred
places spotted on one of those "hard, fast tours".
--
Nobody is perfect
not even in failing