Any advice on a week trip from London after X-mas?

Old December 10th, 2003, 02:44 PM
Arnold Wolfcastle

Default Any advice on a week trip from London after X-mas? BEWALondon Asylum Seeker Rapist Cab Drivers.

"Dirk Bruere at Neopax" wrote in message ...
"Arnold Wolfcastle" wrote in message
om...
(Michelle) wrote in message

om...
My boyfriend and I will be visiting his family in England for
Christmas and want to go somewhere else for a week after Boxing
Day....maybe spend New years somewhere fun. We thought about doing a
snowboarding trip, but everything seems booked or really overpriced.
We could fly somewhere (but we have to go back to the U.S. via
London....as we already booked our flight), or there is the option of
borrowing his Dad's car and driving somewhere. For some reason we are
having a really hard time deciding what to do.....any ideas or
opinions would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Be very careful in the UK. Go to Austria and snowboard. They have
fewer asylum seeker rapists. Violent street crime is out of control
in England.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/a...ing%20Standard

Illegal minicab drivers are to have their fingerprints and DNA taken
in a clampdown on sex assaults on passengers.

Hundreds of drivers will undergo DNA swabs from next Monday - a move
which police believe could catch dozens of rapists.

Police have been given permission for the first time to take the
crucial samples from people they arrest for driving taxis without
licences.

The new powers will allow detectives to match samples to evidence
taken from the victims of more than 200 sexual assaults and rapes
committed against minicab passengers in London in the last two years
alone.

The move comes after intense lobbying by police and Mayor Ken
Livingstone - and after a series of cases where women were subjected
to attacks by illegal minicab drivers

All measures to be applauded.
Ken's certainly doing a good job as mayor.

Red Ken is doing a good job? I guess a bad job would be 2,000 women
raped by asylum seeker tax cab drivers.
Old December 10th, 2003, 04:41 PM
Reid

Following up to Arnold Wolfcastle

Red Ken is doing a good job? I guess a bad job would be 2,000 women
raped by asylum seeker tax cab drivers.

Do you have sexual assault figure for other comparable cities?
--
Mike Reid
"Art is the lie that reveals the truth" P.Picasso
Old December 10th, 2003, 04:47 PM
David Horne

Owain wrote:

The advice given to Londoners and visitors, on this group and elsewhere, has
consistently been to avoid unlicensed taxi firms and never hail a minicab on
the street.

It can be hard to follow that advice if you are coming out of a club at
3am into the pouring rain. I frequently took cab rides home from people
hustling for business outside the clubs- never had a problem, and got a
very good rate. (You can negotiate.)

If you were a single woman, or even a group of women, this could
definitely be risky. I don't know what percentage of attacks have been
against male passengers, but I suspect it was low- if you were a group
of males, then I'd say the risk is probably zero, possible problems with
the _car_ notwithstanding.

There are official licensed minicab posts dotted throughout the centre,
so usually you can find one of them- definitely the best option, and
usually cheaper than a black cab.

It's a question of convenience, really. I've been in situations where it
was either wait an hour for a cab to turn up, or take a ride home with
an unlicensed driver immediately. I always plumped for the latter. I'm
not suggesting this as "advice"- just giving my own experience on this.

David

--
David Horne- (website under reconstruction)
davidhorne (at) davidhorne (dot) co (dot) uk
Old December 11th, 2003, 04:29 PM
Dirk Bruere at Neopax

(Michelle) wrote in message

[...]

People who live in London are rather better placed than you when it comes to
opinions concerning Red Ken.

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-
The political party for the new millennium
http://www.theconsensus.org

Old December 11th, 2003, 11:31 PM
Mens sana

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/a...ning%20Standar

[...]

Ms. Carlson,

We don't have much by way of snow-boarding but you won't beat Ireland for a
great week with lovely people.

Try Donegal for spectacular scenery and authentic (not tourist trap)
Ireland. Cork is an 800 year old city with great people, Co. Cork has loads
of things to experience. The midlands can boast the best preserved raised
bogs in the world, rich history, from the ancient seat of the high Kings at
Tara to Vikings, Iron age sites and enigmatic Neolithic places. Even the
Blarney stone (a bit naff though). Dublin has a little for everyone -
wonderful art of all periods. Just about any type of music your heart could
desire. World famous Chester Beattie library with its eclectic collection of
oriental objects d'art.

The first humans came here about 7000 years ago and the only odd thing in
our history is why they didn't call it "Paradise".

I hope you have a great time wherever you go.

Regards,

Mens sana.