Looking forward

Old November 17th, 2007, 11:55 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Dick Adams[_2_]

Default Looking forward

kangaroo16 wrote:
(Dick Adams) wrote:
kangaroo16 wrote:

Yanks who fancy themselves drinkers should try a popular drink
in Queensland. A glass with a tot or two of O.P. Bundaburg rum,
remainder filled with draught "XXXX" beer.

Watch you mouth. I am a son of the South and here the
word is damnyankee.

Well, Cal, what makes you think I may not be a "son of
the South", born south of the Mason-Dixon line? Readers
who are unsure which US States are considered south of
this line can check
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Im...Historic_1.png

Being a Southerner is not a matter of where you were born,
it is matter of how you treat people. A "Son of the South"
never refers to someone as a damnyankee or it's urchin form
of yank or yankee except when intended as a derogatory term.
Many a damnyankee was born south of the Mason-Dixon Line.
Myself is a Tarhell - tried and true. My blood runs
Carolina Blue. I am marooned in Maryland which is heavily
populated by damnyankee in spite of the fact that it is
south of the Line.

As to "damnyankee", "Yankee" is a pretty ambiguous word. ...

Alas to suggest "damnyankee" is ambiguous is something only
a "damnyankee" would argue.

If really feeling suicidal, they can get into a "school" of 5 or
6 Aussie drinkers, and see if they are still conscious when it is
their turn to buy a round.:-)

Is there money involved in this wager?

Not offered as a wager, as would have no way of knowing
just which humans have a high tolerance for alcohol. The
U.S. has some pretty hardened drinkers who might survive
the Beer & Bundy combination. As you probably know, the
drink composed of beer and spirits is known as a
"boilermaker", or was in my part of the U.S. anyway.

So it's just trash talk.

If participate in a "school" of drinkers here, it is considered
impolite to join a "school" and not buy a drink for the group
when their turn comes around. ....

This is a universe-wide standard.

"Unfortunately Americans don't recognise the word '******'
which is strange for a country that has so many!"

******s per capita varies very little from country to country.

True, however one chooses to define the word. Difficult to
predict a percentage range of ******s in the world population,
though. If someone could, they could produce a distribution
using mean, median or mode :-)

Are you proposing a ****** test? Or are trying to use
statistics to prevent your being outed as a ******? But
watch your methodologies as only a ****** would use a
Chi Square.

Still, we have economists who use statistics to try
to predict what the economy, stock market, etc. will do.
They even make money doing so. ...

There are three types of economists: Those who can count
and those who can't count.
---

Back to the point (which appears difficult for you), I have
been the last man standing at many a party. That once was
and may no longer be relevant. But, along the road, I met
many a man, and woman too, who could pour a pint down their
throat in one swallow. I did not bother to compete with
them as there is no taste in a chug-a-lug contest.

Dick
Old November 18th, 2007, 12:15 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Joseph Coulter[_3_]

Dick Adams wrote in news:fhnv20$c64$1
@panix2.panix.com:

If participate in a "school" of drinkers here, it is considered
impolite to join a "school" and not buy a drink for the group
when their turn comes around. ....

This is a universe-wide standard.

the concept may be universal, but it is more of a religious practice in
australia and one not to mess with. Breaching knock back protocol is
hazardous to one's health and well being and reminds me of the Kevin
Costner movie - "No Way Out

--
Joseph Coulter, cruises and vacations
www.josephcoulter.com

877 832 2021
904 631 8863 cell

Old November 18th, 2007, 01:12 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Alan S[_1_]

On 17 Nov 2007 18:55:44 -0500, Dick Adams
wrote:

Being a Southerner is not a matter of where you were born,
it is matter of how you treat people. A "Son of the South"
never refers to someone as a damnyankee or it's urchin form
of yank or yankee except when intended as a derogatory term.
Many a damnyankee was born south of the Mason-Dixon Line.
Myself is a Tarhell - tried and true. My blood runs
Carolina Blue. I am marooned in Maryland which is heavily
populated by damnyankee in spite of the fact that it is
south of the Line.

As to "damnyankee", "Yankee" is a pretty ambiguous word. ...

Alas to suggest "damnyankee" is ambiguous is something only
a "damnyankee" would argue.

I'm afraid you guys miss the point. The rest of the world is
well aware of the Mason-Dixon line, of the civil war, and of
your internal differences of definition and contempt for
misuse of words like yanks, rednecks etc.

And the rest of the world will continue to call every single
tourist from the You Ess of Ay Yanks whether they are male
or female, black or white or chocolate, and whether they
come from Maine or Mississippi:-)

Cheers, Alan, Australia
--
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com/
latest: Slovenia
Old November 18th, 2007, 01:15 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Alan S[_1_]

:

If participate in a "school" of drinkers here, it is considered
impolite to join a "school" and not buy a drink for the group
when their turn comes around. ....

This is a universe-wide standard.

the concept may be universal, but it is more of a religious practice in
australia and one not to mess with. Breaching knock back protocol is
hazardous to one's health and well being and reminds me of the Kevin
Costner movie - "No Way Out

The trick is to "shout" early in the school, so duty is
done, but drink slowly and let the next guy know he can
leave you out of the next round when it comes up. I've never
seen anyone get stroppy at saving the price of a drink; but
they can if you don't pay for the round when it's your turn.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
Old November 18th, 2007, 02:22 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
kangaroo16

wrote in :

kangaroo16 wrote:
(Dick Adams) wrote:
kangaroo16 wrote:

Yanks who fancy themselves drinkers should try a popular drink
in Queensland. A glass with a tot or two of O.P. Bundaburg rum,
remainder filled with draught "XXXX" beer.

Watch you mouth. I am a son of the South and here the
word is damnyankee.

Well, Cal, what makes you think I may not be a "son of
the South", born south of the Mason-Dixon line? Readers
who are unsure which US States are considered south of
this line can check
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Im...Historic_1.png

Being a Southerner is not a matter of where you were born,
it is matter of how you treat people.

I don't doubt that "Southerners" were more polite than
US residents born elsewhere, especially historically.
Easy to see a possible reason for this. The custom of
dueling. To quote from an editorial:

THE DISHONOR OF DUELING
Ariel A. Roth

"In the United States the practice did not become popular
until the beginning of the nineteenth century, when it spread
very rapidly, especially in the South. Most large Southern towns
had their dueling fields. Dueling was made more virtuous by a
code of behavior that encouraged accepting an affront politely
and shooting courteously. Thousands of Southerners died
protecting what they believed to be their honor (9)."

http://www.grisda.org/origins/16003.htm

If the custom of dueling were to be resurrected today, in any
country, I would expect that the citizens of that country would
become much more polite to one another.

But would the cost be worth it? Americans at present kill
many of their fellow Americans each year, and I don't doubt that
if duels were legal far more would die.

A "Son of the South"
never refers to someone as a damnyankee or it's urchin form
of yank or yankee except when intended as a derogatory term.
Many a damnyankee was born south of the Mason-Dixon Line.

No doubt, using your definition. :-)

Myself is a Tarhell - tried and true.

I thought the term was "Tarheel", but "Tarhell" is a also a
legitimate term. A Google search for same provides over 2000
returns.:-)

My blood runs
Carolina Blue. I am marooned in Maryland which is heavily
populated by damnyankee in spite of the fact that it is
south of the Line.

Humans have a fair degree of free choice. At some stage of your
life you ended up in Maryland. At an earlier stage, perhaps you
could have made a choice which would have led to residence in
another state. You had no choice on your place of birth, but
your parents did.

As to "damnyankee", "Yankee" is a pretty ambiguous word. ...

Alas to suggest "damnyankee" is ambiguous is something only
a "damnyankee" would argue.

(Kangaroo laugh!) You may well be correct.

If really feeling suicidal, they can get into a "school" of 5 or
6 Aussie drinkers, and see if they are still conscious when it is
their turn to buy a round.:-)

Is there money involved in this wager?

Not offered as a wager, as would have no way of knowing
just which humans have a high tolerance for alcohol. The
U.S. has some pretty hardened drinkers who might survive
the Beer & Bundy combination. As you probably know, the
drink composed of beer and spirits is known as a
"boilermaker", or was in my part of the U.S. anyway.

So it's just trash talk.

Depends on what one considers "trash talk". :-) I have learned
many things in my life, some from quite surprising sources.

If participate in a "school" of drinkers here, it is considered
impolite to join a "school" and not buy a drink for the group
when their turn comes around. ....

This is a universe-wide standard.

True, but it seems to me that it is much more prevalent in
Australia that it was in my part of the USA when I was last
there. Of course, perhaps it was more common in the south.

"Unfortunately Americans don't recognise the word '******'
which is strange for a country that has so many!"

******s per capita varies very little from country to country.

True, however one chooses to define the word. Difficult to
predict a percentage range of ******s in the world population,
though. If someone could, they could produce a distribution
using mean, median or mode :-)

Are you proposing a ****** test? Or are trying to use
statistics to prevent your being outed as a ******? But
watch your methodologies as only a ****** would use a
Chi Square.

Thanks for the warning :-) ...Although I long ago ceased
to worry about acceptance by others. After all, no matter
what any human chooses to do or say or write, he or she
will not be popular with all other humans, or even the
great majority of them.

For instance, in your opinion, should we all admire the US Civil
War, or "The War between the States" as some call it?. I'm
certain that many considered it a good idea at the time.

How about invention of nuclear weapons? Should we all admire the
bombing of Hiroshima by the recently deceased Paul Tibbets, the
pilot of the "Enola Gay"? Or the scientists who recently managed
to recreate the virus variety that caused the 1917 world flu
epidemic? Should we admire people who refuse to support action
against global warming? Should we admire those responsible for
the sub-prime loans problem?

IMHO, these should be enough examples to show that we couldn't
possibly expect everyone to agree.

Being we both know that personally there is no hope that all
other humans will totally agree with either of us, why pursue
such an impossible goal.

I'm a Protestant Christian, but I don't expect all Americans to
agree with me on all issues, even fellow Protestants.

Still, we have economists who use statistics to try
to predict what the economy, stock market, etc. will do.
They even make money doing so. ...

There are three types of economists: Those who can count
and those who can't count.

What is the third type? Those who are entirely ignorant of
the complexity of human nature? Those ignorant of the arts and
science of same?
---

Back to the point (which appears difficult for you), I have
been the last man standing at many a party. That once was
and may no longer be relevant. But, along the road, I met
many a man, and woman too, who could pour a pint down their
throat in one swallow. I did not bother to compete with
them as there is no taste in a chug-a-lug contest.

Dick

I have seen many Australians and others who could do that. A more
common challenge here is to drink a "yard" of ale. The glass is
about 3 feet high, bulb at the bottom, narrow neck, wide mouth.
Difficult to empty in one swallow, which includes construction,
not only the contents. Holds about two Australian pints of beer
or ale. In U.S. measure, a liquid pint = around 16 ounces. In
Australia and the UK, 20 ounces. A "yard" glass contains 2
pints, equal to 1.2 U.S. liquid quarts.

"While at University at Oxford in 1963, Bob Hawke, former Prime
Minister of Australia entered the Guinness Book of Records here
at the Turf Tavern after downing a yard of ale (that's just over
2 1/2 pints!) in just 11 seconds."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Hawke

No, I have never been tempted to try to duplicate his feat! :-)

Cheers,
Kangaroo16
Old November 18th, 2007, 04:03 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
kangaroo16

wrote:

Being a Southerner is not a matter of where you were born,
it is matter of how you treat people. A "Son of the South"
never refers to someone as a damnyankee or it's urchin form
of yank or yankee except when intended as a derogatory term.
Many a damnyankee was born south of the Mason-Dixon Line.
Myself is a Tarhell - tried and true. My blood runs
Carolina Blue. I am marooned in Maryland which is heavily
populated by damnyankee in spite of the fact that it is
south of the Line.

As to "damnyankee", "Yankee" is a pretty ambiguous word. ...

Alas to suggest "damnyankee" is ambiguous is something only
a "damnyankee" would argue.

I'm afraid you guys miss the point. The rest of the world is
well aware of the Mason-Dixon line, of the civil war, and of
your internal differences of definition and contempt for
misuse of words like yanks, rednecks etc.

I can't speak for all of the rest of the world, but certainly
most Australians are aware. As a trivial example, I wonder
what percentage of Australians have seen the classic film
"Gone With the Wind" in cinemas and/or on broadcast
T.V.? A very large percentage I suspect, as it has been shown
many times since I've been here.:-)

Perhaps we could start with something basic such as knowledge
of geography?

Young Americans Geographically Illiterate, Survey Suggests

"The 2002 project also surveyed 18- to 24-year-olds in
Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Sweden, and Great
Britain. The U.S. trailed every other country in that survey,
except Mexico, which did only slightly worse. (See the 2002
results.)

"It's discouraging that so many young Americans have so little
understanding of the world," said Robert Pastor, vice president
of international affairs at American University in Washington,
D.C.

Geography Schmeography?

Even for U.S. geography, the survey results are just as dismal.

Half could not find New York State on a map of the United States.

A third of the respondents could not find Louisiana, and 48
percent couldn't locate Mississippi on a map of the United
States, even though Hurricane Katrina put these southeastern
states in the spotlight in 2005. " [more, and worth reading, at]

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...geography.html

As we know, many Americans adults confuse "Austria" and
"Australia", and are disappointed when they travel to Austria
expecting to find wild kangaroos.

I've heard and read of cases where Americans traveling to
Australia who complimented Australia on their ability to speak
English.

I have yet to even meet an Australian child who was incapable
of pointing out the location of the U.S.A. on a world map.

And the rest of the world will continue to call every single
tourist from the You Ess of Ay Yanks whether they are male
or female, black or white or chocolate, and whether they
come from Maine or Mississippi:-)

Cheers, Alan, Australia

True, and applies to Yank immigrants as well. Being called a
Yank doesn't bother me. I don't even mind "Septo".

Just as a personal observation, the average Australian
strikes me as more tolerant than the average Yank, and Australia
is, in general, a much more tolerant society than the U.S.A.

Cheers,
Kangaroo16

Old November 18th, 2007, 04:20 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
kangaroo16

On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 18:15:54 -0600, Joseph Coulter
wrote in
6 :

Dick Adams wrote in news:fhnv20$c64$1
:

If participate in a "school" of drinkers here, it is considered
impolite to join a "school" and not buy a drink for the group
when their turn comes around. ....

This is a universe-wide standard.

the concept may be universal, but it is more of a religious practice in
australia and one not to mess with. Breaching knock back protocol is
hazardous to one's health and well being and reminds me of the Kevin
Costner movie - "No Way Out

Haven't seen the movie, I would hope both tourists and migrants
take this useful information to heart.

Aussie's are a very tolerant mob, but there are limits, after
all!

There are a lot of Yanks in Oz, and a lot of Aussie's in the USA.
.....I would tend to think that the Aussie's might have more
trouble adjusting to the U.S. culture.

It would be interesting to hear of some of their experiences, or
even Australian tourists experiences there.

Cheers,
Kangaroo16
Old November 18th, 2007, 05:43 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Alan S[_1_]

On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 04:03:57 GMT, kangaroo16
wrote:

I can't speak for all of the rest of the world, but certainly
most Australians are aware. As a trivial example, I wonder
what percentage of Australians have seen the classic film
"Gone With the Wind" in cinemas and/or on broadcast
T.V.? A very large percentage I suspect, as it has been shown
many times since I've been here.:-)

Many of the more recent generations have read this:
http://www.middlemiss.org/lit/author...ly/confed.html

I suspect that would be good reading for many on the other
side of the Pacific as well.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
Old November 18th, 2007, 06:24 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
kangaroo16

wrote:

I can't speak for all of the rest of the world, but certainly
most Australians are aware. As a trivial example, I wonder
what percentage of Australians have seen the classic film
"Gone With the Wind" in cinemas and/or on broadcast
T.V.? A very large percentage I suspect, as it has been shown
many times since I've been here.:-)

Many of the more recent generations have read this:
http://www.middlemiss.org/lit/author...ly/confed.html

I suspect that would be good reading for many on the other
side of the Pacific as well.

Had a look at the link, sounds like an interesting book. Will
check the library for it.

Usually read more fact than fiction, but have read some
interesting fiction as well.

At the moment, more interested in global warming, its
probable consequences, and whether there is the political will to
do anything about it.

Have you read the GEO4 U.N. paper on climate change yet? Long
read, but worth it, IMHO, anyway. Document can be downloaded at:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/h...10_2007_un.pdf

Cheers,
Kangaroo16

Cheers, Alan, Australia

Old November 18th, 2007, 11:32 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Dick Adams[_2_]

Alan S wrote:
Dick Adams wrote:

Alas to suggest "damnyankee" is ambiguous is something only
a "damnyankee" would argue.

I'm afraid you guys miss the point. The rest of the world is
well aware of the Mason-Dixon line, of the civil war, and of
your internal differences of definition and contempt for
misuse of words like yanks, rednecks etc.

It was 'The War of Northern Aggression'!

And the rest of the world will continue to call every single
tourist from the You Ess of Ay Yanks whether they are male
or female, black or white or chocolate, and whether they
come from Maine or Mississippi:-)

Are you opposed to correcting ignorance?

Dick