Funny replies to FAQ's

Old February 25th, 2005, 02:19 AM
Gerrit 't Hart

"Jack" wrote in message
SNIP
Not willing to accept that all things US are not perfect and the best.

That's a pretty drastic statement.
Or are you just using an American phrase (which is grammatically wrong for
the message supposedly being conveyed) to reinforce your point?

Gerrit - Oz (who has a bee in his bonnet about that turn of phrase)

Old February 25th, 2005, 02:23 AM
Gerrit 't Hart

"Ralph Holz" wrote in message
When my wife (Australian) first got a job in the US, she was asked by
one of her co-workers “Did you have to learn English to come over
here?” Unfreakin’ believable!!

Reminds me.

During a stay at a language school in Firenze, Italy. My Aussie friend
was chatting to a US-American girl:

US girl: "So where are you from?"
She: "Australia."
USG: "Oh, so you must speak German."
She: "No, I said Aus-tra-lia."
USG: "Yes, so you must speak German."

It's an incident I still remember.

Mind you if its said with a broad Aussie accent there could be some excuse
for the USain.

Gerrit - Oz

Old February 25th, 2005, 08:31 AM
Jack

Nup, just making a statement about the way things are - after all, they
re-elected Bush and so therefore proved they are happy as a nation to walk
around every day with a bulls eye target hanging around their necks - no
wonder they have a seige mentality - poke the dog and its gonna bite you!

Old February 25th, 2005, 10:29 AM
Poss

Let us sit upon the ground and tell sad stories of Ralph Holz
:

When my wife (Australian) first got a job in the US, she was asked by
one of her co-workers “Did you have to learn English to come over
here?” Unfreakin’ believable!!

Reminds me.

During a stay at a language school in Firenze, Italy. My Aussie friend
was chatting to a US-American girl:

US girl: "So where are you from?"
She: "Australia."
USG: "Oh, so you must speak German."
She: "No, I said Aus-tra-lia."
USG: "Yes, so you must speak German."

It's an incident I still remember.

A friend, while Everquesting, was asked if we had computers in
Australia.
Old February 25th, 2005, 12:10 PM
Alan S

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 18:29:24 +0800, Poss wrote:

|Let us sit upon the ground and tell sad stories of Ralph Holz
:

| When my wife (Australian) first got a job in the US, she was asked by
| one of her co-workers “Did you have to learn English to come over
| here?” Unfreakin’ believable!!
|
|Reminds me.
|
|During a stay at a language school in Firenze, Italy. My Aussie friend
|was chatting to a US-American girl:
|
|US girl: "So where are you from?"
|She: "Australia."
|USG: "Oh, so you must speak German."
|She: "No, I said Aus-tra-lia."
|USG: "Yes, so you must speak German."
|
|It's an incident I still remember.

|A friend, while Everquesting, was asked if we had computers in
|Australia.

OK, I waited and nobody answered the question.
Do we?

Duh :-))

Old February 25th, 2005, 04:17 PM
Sheryl Jones

"Jack" wrote in message
Nup, just making a statement about the way things are - after all, they
re-elected Bush

I DID NOT re-elect Bush and most of the people in my community didn't
either. The atmosphere here locally is decidedly anti-Bush. I'll admit
there are a LOT of crass, ignorant Americans but not all of us are like
that.

Old February 25th, 2005, 04:49 PM
Tom Johnstone

Sheryl Jones wrote:
"Jack" wrote in message

Nup, just making a statement about the way things are - after all, they
re-elected Bush

I DID NOT re-elect Bush and most of the people in my community didn't
either. The atmosphere here locally is decidedly anti-Bush. I'll admit
there are a LOT of crass, ignorant Americans but not all of us are like
that.

Yep - have to agree with that. I live in Madison, Wisconsin, and here
about 80% of the population voted against Bush. The people in Madison
are largely well-educated and fairly well informed.

However, I do have to say that recently I purchased a Canadian satellite
TV system because I was sick of having no international news on TV (PBS
- the Public Nroadcasting System - has decent news, but it's very
limited and only on during restricted times). Anyway, the very first
night I tuned in to The National News on Canadian CBC, I was blown away.
Coverage of events from all over the world, and only one story in the
first 5 was about Canada. *nothing* approaching that is available in the
USA. The difference between Canadian TV news and what's available in the
USA is shocking, and goes some way to explaining, or at least
understanding, the ignorance of many Americans to world affairs.

Tom
Old February 25th, 2005, 07:16 PM
Sheryl Jones

Tom--
I'm a fellow Madisonian! From time to time I watch BBC News and I'm just
amazed at not only the content, but the different slant on things. In spite
of the fact that I consider myself a liberal, most of my news sources are
conservative (You know, WSJ and WIBA AM). From time to time I listen to
public radio or even Radio Free America. Frankly, I find the news from
those sources a little one-sided as well...even if it is my side!

Old February 25th, 2005, 07:45 PM
Tom Johnstone

Sheryl Jones wrote:
Tom--
I'm a fellow Madisonian! From time to time I watch BBC News and I'm just
amazed at not only the content, but the different slant on things. In spite
of the fact that I consider myself a liberal, most of my news sources are
conservative (You know, WSJ and WIBA AM). From time to time I listen to
public radio or even Radio Free America. Frankly, I find the news from
those sources a little one-sided as well...even if it is my side!

Yep - you're right, Radio Free America is pretty bad quality and very
biased. WPR is good - left-leaning but high quality. But for TV, there
really isn't much available, unless you tap into Canadian TV.

Tom
Old February 25th, 2005, 10:48 PM
Ken Pisichko

Tom Johnstone wrote:

Yep - you're right, Radio Free America is pretty bad quality and very
biased. WPR is good - left-leaning but high quality. But for TV, there
really isn't much available, unless you tap into Canadian TV.

Canadian news has a different "slant" than US television. That said, I don't
bother with CBC television. I prefer CBC radio because i can do other things while
listening to the radio. For news that has different perspectives, I read 5
different newspapers from 5 different countries on a regular basis (Australia,
Canada, Hong Kong, UK and USA) and that gives a bunch of redundancy, but there
certainly are different "slants' on some of the news items. The internet provides
for such instant access...