Another warning to outback drivers.

Old December 18th, 2003, 03:18 AM
Jim

Default Another warning to outback drivers.

Frank have a look at http://www.jimshire.aussiewide.com/
for radio hire.
http://www.abroad-phone-rental.com/A...ite_phone_rent
al.htm
for sat phones

Cheers
Jim
"Frank Slootweg" wrote in message
Raffi Balmanoukian a

wrote:
[deleted]
I'm more partial to a satphone than an EPIRB. All the latter will do is
send a signal - it won't say what the problem is or convey any info

(vehicle
problem, injury, etc.) The fines for "unnecessary" activation is also
massive. A satphone might get someone on the other end of the line who

can
get you moving again without even coming out a thousand km in the first
place...

Can you give some indication about satphone costs, i.e. rental (if
purchase is too expensive), subscription cost, usage cost, etc.? For us
a radio is not practical because we rent our vehicle/campervan and most
rental companies can/do not provide radios.

Old December 18th, 2003, 03:47 AM
Raffi Balmanoukian

in article , Jim at
wrote on 12/17/03 11:18 PM:

Frank have a look at
http://www.jimshire.aussiewide.com/
for radio hire.
http://www.abroad-phone-rental.com/A...ite_phone_rent
al.htm
for sat phones

Cheers
Jim

Actually, radio (sorry for not picking up on the plug, Jim!) can be
preferable for the exact reason Jim mentioned - you can radio out and get
'hold of someone a few miles, instead of a few days, away who may well be
able to get you moving again.

I'd still carry a Satphone for backup though - your problem might well be a
flat battery or dead alternator, etc (or you might just not be in a region
with good reception or, in the case of a radio with crystals, such as I had,
with a lot of coverage in a given area). in which case a radio might not be
much good!