Australian Supermarkets and Chocolate - Any Good?

Old November 29th, 2005, 12:25 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

Default Australian Supermarkets and Chocolate - Any Good?

"H.B. Lasseter" wrote in message
Spoken like a Pitt St. Farmer!!

You once could buy a wide assortment of merchandise from Farmers on Pitt
Street.

Regards

David Bennetts

Old November 29th, 2005, 03:43 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

"Kerry" wrote:

I went into Sydney yesterday. I bought some pepperooni, smoked blue tongue,
and a BBQ'd emu chicken. I was walking out of the David Jones Food Hall and
tripped over a kangaroo sleeping in the doorway. Something should be done
about kangaroos sleeping in doorways - don't you think?

Darned 'roos sleeping everywhere, bloody things have been in
the liquor section too long I reckon...

http://www.davidjones.com.au/services/food.jsp

I can put on 5 kilos just thinking bout that place. I used
to work in the office block above Centrepoint Tower and had
great difficulty keeping away from the Foodhall.

Sadly it's a crappy website for such a wonderful place.

Maybe the original poster would like to enquire about
specific foods apart from chocolate, coz if he has specific
esoteric dietary requirements they might be harder to find
here than in the bigger cities in the USA.

As another poster mentioned, some familiar things will have
different names, but on the whole we have everything you'd
expect to find in a big US store.

We won't have your "local favourites" but we will have
plenty of our own for you to try. Chocolates/candy bars are
a good place to start. I take violet crumble bars over to
the USA most trips. Tim Tams will be a big hit too for the
chocoholics. And so on...

Some things will be cheaper and others more expensive,
depends where and what it is.

Part of the fun will be cruising unfamiliar stores and
finding and trying all the new and different stuff...

Cheerz Mark.
Old November 29th, 2005, 06:12 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

The original posting related to chocolate. Perhaps this can reassure the
enquirer:-

http://www.bandt.com.au/news/7d/0c028f7d.asp

--
The Commissioner

www.the-commissioner.com

Old November 29th, 2005, 09:03 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

wrote in message
oups.com...
Tell me then, why do some countries with similar standard of living
indices not have very good food? But most importantly these are
question to ask people who live there and have visited the US. It's the
only way to get right answers to my questions.

Would you ask the same question of New Zealand? THey only have 4 million
people?

BTW, NZ has some of the tastiest food on earth, almost everything that Ive
eaten in the US taste like **** in comparison to NZ food.

Travel there, eat and repost. You will never feel the same way about home
town food again.

Old November 29th, 2005, 09:24 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

wrote in message
oups.com...
Does Austalia have good, well stocked supermarkets like in the US and
Western Europe? Are the products high quality? How many brands of
chocolate are there? Do they have sport drinks?

The food in Australia much then the food on offer in the USA.

--

www.simcard.me.uk/australian_sim_card.htm Australian Sim Cards
www.poms.co.uk/forum/index.php Backpacking Australia Forum.

Old November 29th, 2005, 10:21 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 09:24:54 -0000, "www.poms.co.uk"
wrote:

Does Austalia have good, well stocked supermarkets like in the US and
Western Europe? Are the products high quality? How many brands of
chocolate are there? Do they have sport drinks?

The food in Australia much then the food on offer in the USA.

Errr....yeah..I think..um..

Cheers, Alan, Australia
Old November 29th, 2005, 12:24 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

wrote:

Does Austalia have good, well stocked supermarkets like in the US and
Western Europe? Are the products high quality? How many brands of
chocolate are there? Do they have sport drinks?

The food in Australia much then the food on offer in the USA.

Errr....yeah..I think..um..

Cheers, Alan, Australia

Maybe his "then" should read "than.' Then it will make sense no matter what
he is trying to say. :-)

Gerrit