Called Princess to Book Cruise Out of Galveston

Old August 28th, 2007, 01:25 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Gregory C. Read[_2_]

Default Called Princess to Book Cruise Out of Galveston

"Tom K" wrote in message
Oh yeah... and those horrible booths in the dining room, with the smelly
waiter reaching over me to serve my daughter seated next to me. --Tom
---- did one time on Carnival... first and last time

We had one smelly waiter (actually assistant) on our first cruise, on the
Monarch of the Seas. At first we didn't know if it was he or our table
mates. In any case, it was RCCL not Carnival.

--
Greg ----wants to go on a Carnival Cruise just to see if it's as bad as Tom
says.

Old August 28th, 2007, 01:35 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Surfer E2468

First carnival cruise was the PITTS,drunken teenagers foul mouthed
slobs,you name it we had it,second time we tried it some years later,the
cruise was not so awful, did not like the little booth's they stuck
people in,unless with a big group,and the clown atmosphere in the
diningroom,dancing on tables,red,and blue teams,etc.,and waiting forever
to get dessert while waiter,and waitress's goofed around. It
was the worse ship we ever encountered that had such a lousy way to
board the ship,the lines were blocks long,and it took over 2 hours to
get on board. No place for the handicapped to sit down,they just had to
stand in the hot sun all that time.
surfer e2468

cruise lover

Old August 28th, 2007, 01:35 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
sheree

as much as we like celebrity and the other lines, and don't necessarily like
the interiors of the older ships on carnival, they have had the best food
lately, the ships are a lot nicer, the clientele is better etc etc i think
a 4,5 day cruise is not indicative of the product.
we chose the new carnival splendor for europe next year, not only does it
have the itinerary we want, but there's laundry on board (a must for a 12
day cruise!)
sheree

"Tom K" wrote in message

"LeeNY" wrote in message
ps.com...
On Aug 25, 12:02 pm, "Monica" wrote:
Just a personal choice. We're more conservative, not into the drinking
and
partying scene and prefer a ship more suited to our tastes.
Monica"Paul Hoffman" wrote in message

Just out of curiosity why is Carnival out of the question?

I'm not a huge fan of Carnival. However, I wouldn't steer clear of
them because you believe it will be too much of a party scene.

My issue with Carnival wasn't the party scene thing, it wasn't a party
sailing at all... but more the long list of things that just turned me
off. Like the "guy in his undershirt with tattoos, standing in the hallway
outside of his cabin, cigarette in one hand, long neck beer in the other
hand" kind of thing.... or the guy wearing a tee shirt that said "SUCK
THIS". And at least on our sailing (albeit a few years ago) on Destiny,
the horrible breakfast and lunch buffets. The smelly juice section in the
buffet dining room.. Oh yeah... and those horrible booths in the dining
room, with the smelly waiter reaching over me to serve my daughter seated
next to me. Then there was the ship hideous interiors (at least on
Destiny). The ship just didn't suit my tastes. It gives me shivers just
thinking about it. Like... YUK... why would I ever want to go on that
again.

Maybe Monica is right about herself and her tastes. Everyone here seems
to be pushing her to Carnival... but maybe she knows herself better than
we do.

I think people here have to recognize that Carnival simply isn't for
everyone... just like Celebrity, Cunard, HAL etc., aren't for everyone
either.

--Tom ---- did one time on Carnival... first and last time

Old August 28th, 2007, 03:25 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue and Kevin Mullen

Tom K wrote:

--Tom ---- did one time on Carnival... first and last time

Tom, you just don't get it that Carnival has changed a lot. Also your
"one" sailing was on a less then seven day sailing and they usually put
the worst ships and crew on those ships.

I will not sail the Conquest class of ships again because of the smoke
problems. I hear the Spirit class of ships has less of a smoke problem
and I will be sailing on the Carnival Legend, the Sleazy5, in Oct. '08.

sue
Azamara Journey - 5 days from now
Emerald Princess - 1/08
Carnival Legend - 10/08
Old August 28th, 2007, 03:32 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

"Nonnymus" wrote in message
Tom K wrote:

My issue with Carnival wasn't the party scene thing, it wasn't a party
sailing at all... but more the long list of things that just turned me
off. Like the "guy in his undershirt with tattoos, standing in the
hallway outside of his cabin, cigarette in one hand, long neck beer in
the other hand" kind of thing.... or the guy wearing a tee shirt that
said "SUCK THIS". --Tom ---- did one time on Carnival... first and last
time

Tom, this isn't a pro Carnival or anti Carnival reply to your post.

I never ceased to be amazed at the low class things I've seen at home,
traveling, cruising and in both small and large towns. The Big Johnson -
type tee shirts you see sold everywhere are just an example. I wonder if
your reaction to the cool dood with tattoos or the even cooler dude that
was displaying his coolness with his tee shirt was in part because you had
children with you. I see that kind of sleaze down on the Strip, here in
LV, and wonder what people are thinking when they wear that kind of crud.

Do they think some girl will come up and say, "Gosh, you're so cool and
explicit in your tee shirt I want to go out with you?" Or, do you think
it's an immature way of showing the world that they know dirty words or
know all about sex?

The only thing in your post that I might take issue with concerning
passengers on Carnival is that you seem to associate it with just
Carnival. I suspect that Carnival might have MORE of that type of cool
folks, but certainly doesn't have a corner on them. The rest are downtown
here in LV, or walking the Strip at 3:00A. grin

As for the buffet and food issues, I would certainly have raised a stink
(pun intended) with the Carnival folks- but right then and there and not
later. No major cruise line would condone foul smelling waiters or stale
smelling food bars. I've not experienced that on any cruise line and
would be raising the dickens if I did. Ermalee can assure you that after
several bad times with a waiter, I and the good folks I travel with are
capable of getting the situation corrected.

Here in LV, Mrs. Nonny and I had a restaurant we frequented that was our
version of Cheers. We knew the folks there from the wait staff to the
other customers, and eating there was almost like visiting friends. The
manager once asked me how the service had been and I told him that,
"Today, it wasn't that good." However, I went on to explain that I have
enough common sense to realize that even in a well managed restaurant,
that there will be good days, bad days, horrible days and excellent days.
I said I had been around long enough to realize that my relationship with
a place of business was the SUM of those experiences and not just a spot
look at a single day or incident.

I know this has been said time and again to you, but there is a reason
Carnival is as big and successful as it is. They didn't become successful
by only attracting tattooed people with dirty sayings on their ragged tee
shirts, having bad smelling waiters or foul smelling food service areas.
I am not questioning your experience, but am suggesting that before you
write them off entirely, that you try some of their other offerings and
obtain a more averaging view of what they offer.

Nonny

For what it's worth... other than my love for the designs of the Voyager
Class Ships, I don't really care that much for the Royal Caribbean or
Norwegian Cruise Line products either. So it's not just Carnival. I don't
like Royal Caribbean's food overall. I go on a lot of RCI sailings with the
Vikings, and now that Zenith is gone, I'm taking Explorer to Bermuda since I
can get good pricing on it, but I've sent a lot of RCI dinners back....
their fish meals pretty much "suck" to quote that T-shirt.

I think if I try some of Carnival's "other offerings"... it would be the
Queen Mary 2.

I think Celebrity, Princess and maybe Cunard just fit me better.

And you're right about finding "low class things" everywhere... but I'm not
paying good money most of the time. However, if I'm going to pay a few
thousand dollars for a cruise... I guess I'd rather get away from those
things if I can.

--Tom

Old August 28th, 2007, 03:53 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article , Sue and Kevin Mullen
wrote:

I will not sail the Conquest class of ships again because of the smoke
problems. I hear the Spirit class of ships has less of a smoke problem
and I will be sailing on the Carnival Legend, the Sleazy5, in Oct. '08.

The sailing I did on Carnival Miracle which is Spirit class had a smoke
problem.

--
Charles
Old August 28th, 2007, 04:24 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue and Kevin Mullen

wrote:

I will not sail the Conquest class of ships again because of the smoke
problems. I hear the Spirit class of ships has less of a smoke problem
and I will be sailing on the Carnival Legend, the Sleazy5, in Oct. '08.

The sailing I did on Carnival Miracle which is Spirit class had a smoke
problem.

Thanks Charles, now that I paid my deposit and bought my insurance. Boy
are you going to be in trouble on the Jouney.lol

sue
Old August 28th, 2007, 04:30 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
D Ball[_2_]

On Aug 24, 11:42 pm, "Monica" wrote:
...and was told that Galveston is no longer one of their ports Can
someone tell me (Princess couldn't) why they're not leaving out of Galveston
any longer? We've only been on two cruises, both out of Galveston, and
wanted to (try) to book a Christmas cruise. We LOVED our cruises with them
and are sad to learn they'll no longer be available to us Carnival is
out of the question, so who else besides RC leaves from there?
Thanks,
Monica

Monica, we, too, are very bummed Princess is leaving Galveston.
Apparently, we fun-loving Texans, Cajuns, Okies, etc. just aren't big
enough spenders.

On the Carnival issue, I'll just stick my foot in real deep and say
that if you don't think Carnival's a cruise experience that'd be a
good match for you, follow your instincts with regard to the Conquest
out of Galveston. We were Carnival skeptics, but finally gave the line
a try on the Miracle out of Tampa--surprise, surprise, like many
others are saying here, we had the best food ever and an all-around
fabulous cruise! Naturally, we then decided that doing the Conquest
out of our home port was a no-brainer. Unfortunately, that cruise
lived up to all the negative Carnival stereotypes and more. Now, with
that said, I think the Conquest might be a lot of fun (1) during a
"tame" cruise week (not summer or winter vacation, spring break,
etc.), and (2) if you cruised with friends.

Happy cruising,

Diana Ball
Austin, TX

Old August 28th, 2007, 01:44 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

"D Ball" wrote in message
oups.com...

On the Carnival issue, I'll just stick my foot in real deep and say
that if you don't think Carnival's a cruise experience that'd be a
good match for you, follow your instincts with regard to the Conquest
out of Galveston. We were Carnival skeptics, but finally gave the line
a try on the Miracle out of Tampa--surprise, surprise, like many
others are saying here, we had the best food ever and an all-around
fabulous cruise! Naturally, we then decided that doing the Conquest
out of our home port was a no-brainer. Unfortunately, that cruise
lived up to all the negative Carnival stereotypes and more.

I don't recall hearing about that... what's the scoop?

--Tom