Accomodation near the LA MTA

Old October 20th, 2003, 03:41 PM
Mancunifan

Default Accomodation near the LA MTA

I'm coming to Los Angeles in December and I've got about a week to
spend in the city. I'm planning on using the MTA to get about so I was
after some suggestions as to accomodation that might be near any of
the lines that is relatively cheap. I don't know for example if there
are any decent B&B places or youth hostels that are near any of the
stops?
Basically I was planning on basing my holiday around the MTA stops,
rather than deciding where to go and then working out how the hell to
get there on public transport. The thing I'm most interested in is the
whole Media/Hollywood scene, and most of them seem to be on the red
line anyway.

Old October 20th, 2003, 07:30 PM
Dale Davis

The best place to stay would be downtown L.A. There is a hotel there
that's fairly old called the "Stillwell Hotel", don't know the number,
sorry. It's not too expensive since it's not at all fancy. From
downtown you can catch the red line to hollywood, gold line to Pasadena,
blue line to Long Beach. You can also catch any one of a million busses
all over the city, as L.A. has a huge bus system.
I recommend getting a book on the history of Hollywood, it will be more
interesting to you. To the unitiated, Hollywood seems rather run down.
Still though, it's interesting in that it's been the dominant force in
shaping American culture for the past 80 or so years.

Old October 21st, 2003, 12:12 AM
Don Kirkman

It seems to me I heard somewhere that Dale Davis wrote in article
:

The best place to stay would be downtown L.A. There is a hotel there
that's fairly old called the "Stillwell Hotel", don't know the number,
sorry. It's not too expensive since it's not at all fancy. From
downtown you can catch the red line to hollywood, gold line to Pasadena,
blue line to Long Beach. You can also catch any one of a million busses
all over the city, as L.A. has a huge bus system.

You can also catch the green line to Norwalk, FWIW.

The huge bus system exists, but it's on strike right now, and it can be
devilish slow when it is running, especially during high traffic hours
and depending on destination.

I recommend getting a book on the history of Hollywood, it will be more
interesting to you. To the unitiated, Hollywood seems rather run down.
Still though, it's interesting in that it's been the dominant force in
shaping American culture for the past 80 or so years.

I think it's rather useful to distinguish "Hollywood - the industry"
(which happens to be scattered over large parts of the LA area, as well
as parts of New York and Canada) from "Hollywood - the geographic area."

--
Don

Old October 21st, 2003, 08:34 AM
H. Cohen

Still though, it's interesting in that it's been the dominant force in
shaping American culture for the past 80 or so years.

I think it's rather useful to distinguish "Hollywood - the industry"
(which happens to be scattered over large parts of the LA area, as well
as parts of New York and Canada) from "Hollywood - the geographic area."

I think we can say Los Angeles being the (as Dale wrote) dominant force
in molding American culture.
New York to a lesser extent.
Old October 21st, 2003, 08:35 AM
SheffA

"Mancunifan" wrote in message
om...
I'm coming to Los Angeles in December and I've got about a week to
spend in the city. I'm planning on using the MTA to get about so I was
after some suggestions as to accomodation that might be near any of
the lines that is relatively cheap. I don't know for example if there
are any decent B&B places or youth hostels that are near any of the
stops?
Basically I was planning on basing my holiday around the MTA stops,
rather than deciding where to go and then working out how the hell to
get there on public transport. The thing I'm most interested in is the
whole Media/Hollywood scene, and most of them seem to be on the red
line anyway.

Not sure what your budget is, but in Hollywood I would recommend the new
Renaissance Hotel or the Hotel Roosevelt. Both are adjacent to the
Hollywood/Highland Metro station, the Grauman's Chinese Theater, and the
Kodak Theater (home of the Academy Awards). You may find a combination of
bus travel and metro travel to be most suitable (assuming the strike is over
by then). Of course, renting a car is always the best option in Los
Angeles.

I don't use hostels, so I have no information for them.

http://www.renaissancehollywood.com/hh.asp
http://www.hollywoodroosevelt.com/

For Hollywood related interests, I recommend avoiding Universal Studios and
taking a behind the scenes tour at Warner Bros. Studios in Burbank. Also,
there is a small little-known museum across from the Hollywood Bowl called
the Hollywood Heritage Museum that is interesting. I would also recommend a
free TV taping while you're in town. Tickets are available via
http://www.studioaudiences.com/ and http://www.tvtickets.com/default.htm.

Old October 21st, 2003, 09:04 PM
Don Kirkman

It seems to me I heard somewhere that H. Cohen wrote in article
:

Still though, it's interesting in that it's been the dominant force in
shaping American culture for the past 80 or so years.

I think it's rather useful to distinguish "Hollywood - the industry"
(which happens to be scattered over large parts of the LA area, as well
as parts of New York and Canada) from "Hollywood - the geographic area."

I think we can say Los Angeles being the (as Dale wrote) dominant force
in molding American culture.
New York to a lesser extent.

Dale actually recommended that the OP should research *Hollywood*
because "it's been the dominant force in shaping American culture for
the past 80 or so years."

Hollywood != Los Angeles

Casey Stengel said "You could look it up." :-)
--
Don