N.Z. in August & Motorhomes?

Old June 20th, 2004, 02:20 AM
Krusty

Default N.Z. in August & Motorhomes?

Hi all,

I have a few questions that those more learned than I could probably answer
so any feedback would be very appreciated thanks?

We are planing on two weeks in New Zealand (from Australia) in early August
& are leaning towards a motorhome (shower/toilet), however there are a few
unknowns so I'm sure some of you can answer these, they a

* Are roadside overnight stops allowed in N.Z (is it legal)?

* Are they self contained enough to facilitate this or are you better to use
parks (powered sites)?

* Will snow be a problem in the south island in August?

* Any experience with one ways Auckland/Christchurch or vice versa?

* Is this too much travel for fourteen days?

* If motels/car rental are the preferred option are Motels plentiful in most
places & cost effective (they seem quite expensive)?

We are leaning towards a four person vehicle although only two are
travelling as this provides more room & comfort.

Also any personal opinions would be most welcome as there are probably many
issues I haven't thought of!

Many thanks, Kevin.

Old June 20th, 2004, 10:21 AM
..be..

* Are roadside overnight stops allowed in N.Z (is it legal)?

well there seems to be plenty of folk doing it, and ample facilities
for doing it in a motorhome so i guess if its not then its definitely
tolerated.

* Are they self contained enough to facilitate this or are you better to use
parks (powered sites)?

there's a huge variety in design, check britz or maui websites to get
an idea
http://www.maui.co.nz/

* Will snow be a problem in the south island in August?

yep its been a problem for some drivers already this year.
http://www.nzski.com/

* Any experience with one ways Auckland/Christchurch or vice versa?

check the websites, & make sure you book the ferry in advance also.
http://www.interislandline.co.nz/

* Is this too much travel for fourteen days?

i've left christchurch at 0500 and driven to hamilton by 2400 that day
but didnt do much sightseeing

* If motels/car rental are the preferred option are Motels plentiful in most
places & cost effective (they seem quite expensive)?

not as cost effective as a motorhome

Old June 20th, 2004, 11:15 AM
A Mate

#1. Yes! Roadside stops are permitted; but there are restrictions, all
reasonable, relating to distance from various facilities etc within which
you may park. (The NZ AA will have them available!).

#2 Most have inbuilt toilets etc; and there are public 'dumps' for campervan
waste.

#3. Motels in NZ are common, and cheap, particularly since they all have
well equipped kitchen(ette)s included in the price!

#4.Never been to NZ in August, so haven't a clue about the snow - but I
seriously doubt it would be a problem.

Old June 20th, 2004, 01:28 PM
Traveller

SEE INPUT IN TEXT BELOW

"Krusty" wrote in message news:40d4e678@news1...
Hi all,

I have a few questions that those more learned than I could probably

answer
so any feedback would be very appreciated thanks?

We are planing on two weeks in New Zealand (from Australia) in early

August
& are leaning towards a motorhome (shower/toilet), however there are a few
unknowns so I'm sure some of you can answer these, they a

* Are roadside overnight stops allowed in N.Z (is it legal)?

YES. you can stop virtually anywhere. Be aware of the need to keep waste in
tanks provided in the camper. We did the campervan trip in Sept last year -
ideal time - little traffic and no competition for overnight parking places.
NZ Dept of Conservation has some excellent stop off points, most with nice
short bushwalks.

* Are they self contained enough to facilitate this or are you better to

use
parks (powered sites)?

Steer clear of caraven parks except for a every third night long shower
treat. They add significantly to the cost and mostly are in average
condition by Aussie standards. We took a family of five in a Pacific Horizon
6 berth (we checked them all of the providers and models- this was best by
far in terms of most things (also good is the 4 berth). Of special
interest - all seats face forward (in some other models - including the
smaller ones don't leading to some motion sickness potential.) Also they
have onboard gas heaters - a must!!! Gas cost was reimbursed!!! This is
important. Pay a bit more and go bigger if that is waht you need to do to
get heating, otherwise you are tied to parks and miss out on the benefit of
having the camper.
Also campers are deseil - very cheap compared to petrol (58 cents v 1.07 in
Sept last year)

* Will snow be a problem in the south island in August?

Quite likely. Make sure your camper comes with chains. We did not use them ,
they looked like a pain to fit if needed, but I hear there is quiet a
cottage industry of Kiwis travelling the rods fitting them for we
poorAusszies. This is especially the case on the Milford Sound road (closed
to to avelanch risk when we were there last year) where you go through some
pretty high country. We got as far as the locked gate at the ??? Track
turnoff - but even that part - what a drive - wonderful!!

* Any experience with one ways Auckland/Christchurch or vice versa?

We only did SI in the camper - more than enough to see and do

* Is this too much travel for fourteen days?

YES!! - 14 days is JUST enough to do Christchurch and south and back to
Christchurch, allowing 2 nights at Queenstown (gives you one full day for
skiing) a couple of nights at Te Anua (Milford or Doubtful sound trip,
Gloworms and some walks on the Milford track road.

* If motels/car rental are the preferred option are Motels plentiful in

most
places & cost effective (they seem quite expensive)?

YES, but add to cost and not as convenient (we did the noth part of SI this
way - to our regret)

We are leaning towards a four person vehicle although only two are
travelling as this provides more room & comfort.

YES, go the four person - esp in regard to heating. They will be slower -
but that is not an issue - plenty to see as you crawl up hills. Allow time
for winding roads and the hills, plus lots of walks.

Take wet weather gear - plenty of rain there and warm gear.

What we found was the journey was as important as the destination - better
to perhaps miss some sections than miss the bits yiu are at.

see also
http://www.reservationheaven.com/wik...20Descriptions
which is about NZ in a motor home FEEL FREE TO ADD YOUR EXPERIENCES on your
return!
Traveller
Reservation Heaven

Old June 20th, 2004, 11:30 PM
Krusty

Many thanks, excellent information & advice!!!

I have to say some of the distances do look pretty daunting, BTW is the
distance calculator found on this page
http://www.nzmotorhomes.co.nz/campin...e%20calculator
accurate or does it have a bug?

For example ChristchurchMt. Cook = 331km but Mt. Cook Franz Josef = 498km.
I realise it could be very difficult access but it just seems excessive when
you look at the map?

I really appreciate the advice given & it looks like we will settle for
South Island in a 5 berth Mercedes Automatic with gas heating!!! We will
probably need to carry chains too so it seems.

Again sincere thanks, it's always great to have opinions from those who have
experience!

Old June 21st, 2004, 03:06 AM
Nigel Marx

I have a few questions that those more learned than I could probably

answer
so any feedback would be very appreciated thanks?

We are planing on two weeks in New Zealand (from Australia) in early

August
& are leaning towards a motorhome (shower/toilet), however there are a few
unknowns so I'm sure some of you can answer these, they a

* Are roadside overnight stops allowed in N.Z (is it legal)?

Not only legal but I hughly recommend them! The rewards of finding a
pretty, quiet spot down a side road by a river or beach will be self-evident
from the first time you do it. Just be sensible with your wastes (of all
sorts) and no one will bother you. There are some places (i.e. some
designated picnic areas) that have signs telling you not to camp, but
otherwise you can camp anywhere. I don't understand, though, why some people
park their vans on the side of a busy highway for the night. If you do what
I do and find a side road right beside a bridge, or use a good map to spot
small beach settlements not far off the main routes, you will go to sleep
with the moon and wake to the birds.

* Are they self contained enough to facilitate this or are you better to

use
parks (powered sites)?

Others have answered this question well enough.

* Will snow be a problem in the south island in August?

It's guarrenteed that snow will be a problem in August on some mountain
roads. It's a lottery weither it will affect you. Plan to get back to
Christchurch a day early as it is seldom a problem for more than a day.

* Any experience with one ways Auckland/Christchurch or vice versa?

Leave the North Island for your next trip in the summer

* Is this too much travel for fourteen days?

Absolutely (see above)

* If motels/car rental are the preferred option are Motels plentiful in

most
places & cost effective (they seem quite expensive)?

We are leaning towards a four person vehicle although only two are
travelling as this provides more room & comfort.

Also any personal opinions would be most welcome as there are probably

many
issues I haven't thought of!

In every main center, ask about the local beer (if you are a beer drinker)
as there is a staggering good selection of micro-breweries. Don't forget to
try the Fish & Chips in the small seaside towns (ask at the gas stations who
makes the best). If you are a member of your local Historic Places
organisation, bring your card. There is a resiprical agreement for free
entry with most countries. Even the back roads are usually very good. Get a
good map and get off the main routes (not an option for the trip south of
Hokitika to Haast but recommended for everywhere else).

Many thanks, Kevin.

If you want any more info, please feel free to email directly.

Kind regards

Nigel in NZ

-"How can I be lost if I don't care where I am?"--

Old June 21st, 2004, 04:34 AM
Geoff McCaughan

Krusty wrote:

* Will snow be a problem in the south island in August?

Depends. You might be lucky or unlucky.

If there are any road closures, this likely to be only for a few hours. The
alpine passes sometimes close while snow is cleared, so be careful that
you're not trying to cross on a tight timetable [plane to catch etc].

--
Burn the land and boil the sea,
You can't take the sky from me.
Old June 22nd, 2004, 08:19 AM
Neil Raines

* Is this too much travel for fourteen days?

Yes

* If motels/car rental are the preferred option are Motels plentiful in

most
places & cost effective (they seem quite expensive)?

Motels are cheap and much warmer in winter. Nothing like a hot shower and
electric blanket on a cold winters night. You should hire a Subaru 4x4 as
there will be ice and snow.

Old June 22nd, 2004, 11:56 AM
MK

"Krusty" wrote in news:40d4e678@news1:

Hi all,

I have a few questions that those more learned than I could probably
answer so any feedback would be very appreciated thanks?

We are planing on two weeks in New Zealand (from Australia) in early
August & are leaning towards a motorhome (shower/toilet), however
there are a few unknowns so I'm sure some of you can answer these,
they a

Hi Kevin,

Most roads in NZ are single carriageway, so please do the big queue of cars
behind you a favour and pull your motorhome towards the side of the road
every now and then to let them through.

MK
Old June 26th, 2004, 05:26 AM
vicki Steven

in article 40d61009@news1, Krusty at wrote on 21/6/04
10:30 AM:

Many thanks, excellent information & advice!!!

I have to say some of the distances do look pretty daunting, BTW is the
distance calculator found on this page
http://www.nzmotorhomes.co.nz/campin...e%20calculator
accurate or does it have a bug?

For example ChristchurchMt. Cook = 331km but Mt. Cook Franz Josef = 498km.
I realise it could be very difficult access but it just seems excessive when
you look at the map?

You need to get a better map! While Mt Cook (Village) & Franz Josef may
look close on an atlas - and indeed you can see Mt Cook (the mountain) from
Franz Josef - there is a slight obstacle called the Southern Alps in the
way. This means that you have to drive roughly 200-250 Km north or south to
get to the nearest pass (Arthurs or Haast respectively).

Cheers
Vicki