Passport debate "what if"

Old July 29th, 2004, 12:26 AM
LES!

Default Passport debate "what if"

I decided to post a separate thread instead of jumbling up the other thread
lol.

Anyway, I'm really more curious and the other thread made me wonder.

If Me, Jarrod and Alegra were on a cruise that went to Belize, Honduras,
Panama and Costa Rica, and say in one of these 4 countries, we missed the
boat.

Would we need to have a passport to get airfare from that port city to the
next port city (For arguments sake, Costa Rica to Belize)? This would about
99.9999% guarantee a visit to the Embassy I assume? Since most of us would
have left such information on the ship.

Has this happened? How would it be handled? Would just telling the airport
(or whomever) that you were on X ship suffice?

Thanx for humoring me ;-)

LES!

Old July 29th, 2004, 01:29 AM
OcnGypZ

Subject: Passport debate "what if"

There was a story, I think on the Carnival forum on cruise critic.. covering
just this type of scenario. Someone's "what if"...became a living PITA.

A passport doesn't cost much money.. and it's good for 10 years. Why more
Americans don't have one is beyond comprehension. It is the ultimate US
citizenship document.

Babette

Babette

Old July 29th, 2004, 01:36 AM
Marsha L

What's supposed to happen is that you carry a photocopy of the first page of
your passport when you get off of the ship, just in case of any such
eventuality. Leave the original in the safe on the ship. FWIW, I also give a
copy of it to someone at home, for no other reason than if there were some
reason for them to have to prove my citizenship, then they would be able to.
Pretty far fetched, I know, but it's no big deal to do it.

Old July 29th, 2004, 02:14 AM
Mike Cordelli

He did have a passport with him, but it was in the safe on the ship, which
is what most of us do with it.

Passports, by the way, should only be considered good for nine and a half
years. Many countries won't accept it if it has less then six months left
on it, so at 9.5 years it becomes useless in most of the world.

Sixty Four Million passports were issued in the last ten years, there are
way more americans carrying them then most people are led to believe.

Anyhows, it's a good idea to have a copy of the main information page of
your passport with you if you don't take your passport off the ship (or they
keep them) and it's a good idea to leave one if you do take it and lose it.
We keep another copy (scanned image) online just in case. Neither of course
would be suitable for identification, but it can help in getting a new one.

In this case, it may be easier to have the ship overnight it to you from the
next port then to get a new one.

Old July 29th, 2004, 02:46 AM
Ken

Pretty far fetched? I don't think so. This is what the State Dept. has to
say:
http://travel.state.gov/passport/fri...asy.html#easy9
and if you don't have a passport or it is expired go here for instructions
on
how to obtain a new one: http://travel.state.gov/passport/get_renew.html

When we go ashore my wife and I each carry a copy of both our passports
and we have a copy of both passports back at home.

Ken
http://www.sdambassador.com

Old July 29th, 2004, 03:06 AM
Marsha L

Hey, I did say I do it, didn't I?G The first time I sent an email with a
detailed itinerary and a copy of my passport to my DIL she asked "why?"... I
didn't bother with much more than "because". As long as she kept it without
deleting in until I got back home I didn't see much point in going into
details.

I make a habit of typing out all pertinent itinerary details... flights...
airport transportation... lodging... ship info... next of kin contact...
whatever... and making multiple copies... I put a folded up one into the
luggage ID tag, one into each bag, carry one in my passport case and
generally put them into anything I might possibly lose or which might be a
place I'd look to get the information. It is never exposed to random lookers
though... I'm very careful about that!

Marsha

. com...

Old July 29th, 2004, 03:33 AM
Mike Cordelli

Magellan's has luggage tags for a copy of your itinerary details, they are a
plastic pouch written on in six or eight languages that your schedule is
enclosed, this way you have a chance of getting your bags during your trip,
not just sent back home for you.

http://www.magellans.com/store/Lugga...iesLA311?Args=

If the link doesn't work, (it looks like it's chopping off the last
character) go to Magellan's and search for retriever

"Marsha L" wrote in message
[...]

. com...