Port of L.A. Undergoes Renaissance!

Old November 12th, 2004, 01:31 PM
Ray Goldenberg

Default Port of L.A. Undergoes Renaissance!

Hi Everyone,

I received this press release from LA INC. The Convention and Visitors
Bureau and thought it would be of interest. If you have missed any of
my news' postings, they are available on my web site.

Best regards,
Ray
LIGHTHOUSE TRAVEL
800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
http://www.lighthousetravel.com

Port of L.A. Undergoes Renaissance

The 10-Year Bridge to Breakwater Waterfront Development Will Enhance
400 Acres along Eight Miles of San Pedro Waterfront

SAN PEDRO, Calif. Nov. 11, 2004
A renaissance is taking place at the Port of Los Angeles. The
97-year-old port has begun a major enhancement project -- the Bridge
to Breakwater Waterfront Development -- which promises to make it one
of the nation's most user-friendly ports of call for cruise
passengers, as well as a must-see for land visitors.

Ground broke in February 2004 for the 10-year development, which will
cover 400 acres along eight miles of waterfront, stretching from the
Vincent Thomas Bridge to the federal breakwater at Cabrillo Beach. The
first phase -- the nine-acre Los Angeles Cruise Ship Promenade and
adjacent pedestrian parkway -- is scheduled for completion in late
2004 at an estimated cost of $6 million.

The Promenade is designed to resemble a passenger cruise ship
environment, with several decks reflecting those of a luxury liner.
For example, the Bon Voyage Plaza, which serves as the entry point to
the 800-foot-long promenade and the place to watch ship arrivals and
departures, is designed to reflect the excitement of a cruise ship
departure with wind sculptures, custom "angel" lights (which appear to
have wings), custom "wave" benches (with curvy shapes) and a
children's plaza that features a nautical play structure. On the Upper
Deck, art-tiled seat walls and Canary Island palms will span the
length of the promenade; and visitors will lounge on wooden deck
chairs while viewing interpretive panels that recall local history and
culture. This deck will also be a site for farmer's markets, art
exhibits, festivals and other events.

Gangway paths connect the Upper Deck to the other areas, such as the
Lower Deck, which will feature a wooden boardwalk and concrete
planking, creating a 28-foot-wide promenade. The Recreation Deck will
include activity and lounge areas, a variety of seating, and a play
area that features equipment such as a crow's nest lookout and deck
rings. This area can be used for special events.

"The Bridge to Breakwater Waterfront Development is the perfect
complement to San Pedro, which offers an artist's colony and art
galleries, a diverse ethnic community, plenty of restaurants and
shops, fishing and whale watching charters, and attractions such as
the Marine Mammal Care Center, the Maritime Museum and the Korean
Bell," says Larry Keller, Executive Director of the Port of Los
Angeles. "It will increase our competitiveness with other major ports,
such as Vancouver and Seattle."

The development comes on the heels of the Port of Los Angeles
Waterfront Red Car Line, which opened in July 2003. The Red Car, which
operates 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Friday through Monday and on select days
when ships are in port, provides coupons for discounts and special
offers at local restaurants, shops and other businesses. The fare is
$1 for an all-day pass and includes a free shuttle transfer to
Cabrillo Beach.

CRUISE LA

Cruise passengers in particular enjoy an added benefit at the Port of
Los Angeles: The CRUISE LA program features a card that provides
discounts at area hotels for pre- and post-cruise stopovers, as well
as discounts adding up to more than $250 for attractions, shopping and
other amenities. CRUISE LA cardholders also receive tips on how to add
an L.A. tour to their cruise experience and an insider's guide to the
seaside community of San Pedro.

"The Port of Los Angeles is the busiest cruise center on the West
Coast, and the CRUISE LA card makes it easier for passengers to
explore the wide variety of what this dynamic city has to offer," says
Mark Liberman, president and CEO of LA INC., The Convention & Visitors
Bureau.

Passengers showing their CRUISE LA cards pay as little as $59 per
night at the Four Points by Sheraton LAX. Other special rates include
$99 per night with complimentary continental breakfast at the
Millennium Biltmore Hotel in downtown L.A. and $149 per night with
breakfast at the Renaissance Hollywood Hotel.

CRUISE LA cardholders also receive discounts at more than 25
attractions and services, including 20 percent off admission at the
Long Beach Aquarium of the Pacific, one free admission with each paid
admission at the Museum of Contemporary Art (MOCA) in downtown L.A.,
and special offers from more than 30 participating stores and
restaurants at Hollywood & Highland. Passengers can even receive 20
percent off the regular rate at Enterprise Rent-A-Car, located in San
Pedro's Sheraton Los Angeles Harbor Hotel.

The Port of L.A.'s World Cruise Center serves as a homeport for three
lines offering Mexican Riviera cruises: Norwegian Cruise Lines
(beginning Sept. 26, 2004), Royal Caribbean International and Princess
Cruises. In addition, more than a dozen cruise ships call at the Port
of L.A. each year, including vessels from Celebrity Cruises, Crystal
Cruises, Cunard Line and Holland America Line.

LA INC. The Convention and Visitors Bureau is a private,
not-for-profit business association whose primary mission is to
promote the city of Los Angeles as the premier site for meetings,
conventions and leisure travel. Though not part of city government, LA
INC. is recognized as the city's official tourism marketing
organization.
Old November 15th, 2004, 05:19 PM
Bill Warnock

Ray... This may be slightly "OT" from your original posting.
But for the last two (2)months I have been on board a small
container ship that has to berth in the Port of Los Angeles
configuration... during it's voyages to the South Pacific
ports of call.

This last trip we and about forty (40) other commercial type
vessels had to wait at least seven (7) days at anchor outside
the breakwater before we were assigned a berth.

In our particular case... our "charter" pays the owners of our
vessel $10,000.00 a day whether we are in route our awaiting a
berth. Needless to say the "charter" is not a happy camper about
this senario... and ultimately the additional cost will be passed
on to the final consumer of the products that are being delivered.

I just hope that the Port Authorities will also give financial
incentives to encourage the container dockside companies to expanding
their work force and/or hours of operation. And yes (I say this as
a retired Teamster)... the unions involved need to be open minded
about the change of operations that might have to be negotiated.

If not... I can envision things headed South... such as Esenada...
which is a financial "natural" what with NAFTA also coming into play.
Rumor has it that China Shipping as well as others are starting to
look in this direction.

Like I said earlier... slightly OT from your original posting...
but still relative when it comes to upgrading this particular port
of call... whether it be a cruise ship or freighter.

Best regards...

Bill

Old November 16th, 2004, 06:03 PM
Cruise Crazy

Old November 16th, 2004, 06:03 PM
Cruise Crazy

Old November 18th, 2004, 02:19 PM
Scotty

"Bill Warnock" wrote in message

If not... I can envision things headed South... such as Esenada...
which is a financial "natural" what with NAFTA also coming into play.
Rumor has it that China Shipping as well as others are starting to
look in this direction.

Hey I think Mexico is a great idea, let the unsafe cargos go there to be
unloaded.

Scott