Memories...Do you remember?

Old October 2nd, 2005, 01:01 AM
How B

Jean O'Boyle wrote:
"How B" wrote in message

Jean O'Boyle wrote:

I was just going through all the memorabilia from all our cruises and
came across our very first cruise.
Do you remember your first cruise and itinerary?

K Lines "Kentavros," about 5000 GRT and 175 passengers, 1974
Athens
Patmos
Kos
Rhodes
Athens

First "real" cruise--in terms of modern-day cruising:

Island Princess (original Love Boat), maybe 20,000 tons and 600
passengers, 1985
San Juan
St. Maarten
Martinique
St. Thomas
Mayreau
Miami

How B...
I always thought that the old Pacific Princess was the original *Love Boat.*
Am I wrong?
Just wondered because we took her twice before she left the Bermuda
itinerary and the fleet for good and believed that to be true.

Also does the Kentavros still exist? Wonder if she might be still around
sailing between islands in Greece.

--Jean

Charles and Stephan are right, they used both interchangeably, though I
should have said "one of" the original love boats. Some of the crew on
the Island Princess said they were on the show "briefly," about a second
or less I believe LOL.

Kentavros was sent to the wreckers in the late 80's I believe... but I
was able to pick up a brochure and deck plan for K Lines on eBay. Used
to be able to get ship memorabilia pretty cheap, now it's rather high
sometimes. Think I have half a dozen of those cobalt & gold ashtrays
from France/Norway...

How B

Old October 2nd, 2005, 01:09 AM
George Leppla

"Jean O'Boyle" wrote

I was just going through all the memorabilia from all our cruises and came
across our very first cruise.
Do you remember your first cruise and itinerary?

Royal Caribbean, Song of America, January, 1998.
Western Itinerary... Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Ocho Rios and Coco Cay.

We had the least expensive inside cabin and paid $1114 per person including
air from PHL. The cruise line airfare was $150 pp. Shows you how much
cruises have declined in price over the past 17 years.

The cabin was 117 sq feet and when I opened the door I thought they had put
me in a broom closet.

Things I remember.....

Being impressed by the size of the ship. No way did I believe that they
could build anything bigger. The SoA was 37,000+ GRT and carried 1400+
people. Incredibly small and crowded by today's standards.

The waiter's name was Tan and he was from Turkey. He remembered everyone's
name and drink preference and after the first meal, whenever we went to the
dinner, our beverages were already on the table waiting for us. Unlike
today, we ate most of our meals in the dining room at the same table with
the same waiter.

During the big show on the first formal night, a dancer's shoe went flying
into the audience hitting an elderly lady square in the face.

I won $600 playing blackjack and my friend Harry won $1000.

I met Dr. Richard XXXXX, a chiropractor who came to dinner the first night
in shorts and a semi-obscene Harley tank top that said something about
inviting pretty women to ride his hog. He shook my hand and said "Hi, I'm
Doctor DICK!" at which point his wife yelled at him that he needed to stop
that and introduce himself as "Richard". She was a bit of a stick in the
mud... he was a corker and we had a great time.

The travel agent that booked the cruise screwed up anything and everything
that could be screwed up. I was so mad that I remember saying "What's the
big deal? You make a few phone calls and make a reservation. Handle some
money and do some QC on the documents. An idiot can do that job!" Shortly
after that cruise I went to work part time with a local agency so I could
book my own reservations and in 1993, I opened Countryside Travel...
proving myself correct.

--
George in PA http://www.countryside-travel.com

The Mother of All Group Cruises 2 - http://www.moagc2.com/
May 20, 2006, Caribbean Princess - http://cruisemaster.com/caribprin.htm
October 29, 2006 - SLEAZY 4! http://cruisemaster.com/sleazy4.htm

Old October 2nd, 2005, 01:13 AM
Tom K

Nordic Empress

From Miami...
Nassau
CocoCay
Back to Miami...

"Jean O'Boyle" wrote in message
m...
I was just going through all the memorabilia from all our cruises and came
across our very first cruise.
Do you remember your first cruise and itinerary?

Ours was the Regal Princess..October 14-21, 1995
Our itinerary was Southeastern Caribbean:
San Juan, PR
Bridgetown, Barbados
Mayreau
Martinique
St. Croix
St. Barthelemy
Back to San Juan

Got a late start, but have made up for it with 30 cruises since!

--Jean

Old October 2nd, 2005, 01:21 AM
Tom K

"Charles" wrote in message
d...
In article , Jean
O'Boyle wrote:

I was just going through all the memorabilia from all our cruises and
came
across our very first cruise.
Do you remember your first cruise and itinerary?

I keep stuff from every cruise. That is the only way I would remember
the itineraries and cruises with the number piling up. Matter of fact I
am going to have to throw some of the stuff out since because with 20
cruises it is too much stuff. I got all the cruise dailys from every
cruise. I remember the ship of my first cruise and that it was a
southern itinerary but I don't recall the exact itinerary but I could
look it up. Thus I don't need a hypnotist to recall itinerary changes
cause I kept the dailies, but then is it really important to remember
all that or that we might have arrived a few hours late? I'll probably
toss them soon and just keep the cruise documents and a few things.

I remember every ship and every itinerary. Though the order of ships is
fuzzy... but I remember every port from every ship. Just the way my mind
works.

We've also got every cruise daily from every cruise stashed away.

Plus we have the embarkation photo from every cruise, so that gives us the
order of cruises/ships.

--Tom

Old October 2nd, 2005, 01:22 AM
Tom K

"RichC" wrote in message
m...
Don't be to quick to dump all the paperwork form past cruises. Our next
cruise will be our 16 Th. on Princess & thus will qualify us for the
Captains Circle as Elite members. The only hitch is that Princess only
has
us down for having 12 past cruises. I contacted them & thought it
wouldn't
be a problem having it corrected to include the missing 4 cruises but they
want proof of us having been on the cruises. (understandable). It was a
tough job but going back since 1986 I came up with boarding photo's,
cruise
cards, etc. & faxed it to them & we're still waiting for a reply back.

Embarkation photos also work well.

Old October 2nd, 2005, 01:23 AM
Marsha L

S/V Lewis R. French, Penobscot Bay (Maine). September, 1986. Took my then
teenaged sons, Captain Dan Pease owned the only schooner that would take
someone under 16. I'm betting my sons still remember the all-you-can-eat
lobster!

Old October 2nd, 2005, 02:01 AM
Rosalie B.

Rosalie B. wrote:

"Jean O'Boyle" wrote:

I was just going through all the memorabilia from all our cruises and came
across our very first cruise.
Do you remember your first cruise and itinerary?

My first cruise was on HAL - the Nieuw Amsterdam from NY to LaHavre in
July 1950. We were at sea for a week and were a day late because of
the weather. We were in cabin class. The second cruise was the
return on the same boat from England to NY. I was 12 years old.

My husband's first cruise might have been when he was 17 (1953) in the
USNR on a submarine in the Chesapeake (although I think that was just
a day-trip or an overnight). But it was probably plebe year (1956) on
a USN destroyer. I don't know the itinerary, but I think he ate a lot
of saltine crackers to settle his stomach, and he said they had either
ham, bacon or sausage at every meal for a month. He still doesn't
like ham.

I just asked him where he went. He said Annapolis, Stockholm,
Portsmouth (England), Cadiz and Cuba.

Among other places, he's also been to Amsterdam, Naples, Marseille,
Valencia, Palma, Rota (Spain), northern Ireland, Scotland, Montreal,
USVI, Bermuda, the Philippines and through the Panama Canal via the
USN.

Our first cruise together was in the Chesapeake on our own boat in
1999. Two weeks. I don't remember exactly where we went (no printed
itinerary) but I think it was the Patuxent to the Cook Cove off the
Choptank, the Choptank to Selbyville off the South River, South River
to Bodkin Creek south of the Patapsco to my BIL's dock (and the only
place we came ashore), Bodkin Creek via Bloody Point Bar to LeCompte
Bay, Le Compte Bay to Cook Cove, Cook Cove to Sharpe's Island and back
to the Patuxent.

After 5 years of cruising in our own boat down the ICW and to the
Bahamas, our first cruise on a scheduled carrier was 2004 from
Baltimore to Bermuda

grandma Rosalie

S/V RosalieAnn, Leonardtown, MD
CSY 44 WO #156
http://home.mindspring.com/~gmbeasley/id1.html
Old October 2nd, 2005, 02:21 AM
Ray Goldenberg

On Sat, 1 Oct 2005 20:09:55 -0400, "George Leppla"
wrote:

Royal Caribbean, Song of America, January, 1998.

Hi George,

Do you mean 1988? ;+)

Best regards,
Ray
LIGHTHOUSE TRAVEL
800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
http://www.lighthousetravel.com
Old October 2nd, 2005, 02:48 AM
Jean O'Boyle

Great memories! ~Thanks everyone who answered..not only did I find out your
first cruises but some very interesting stories!
Some of those itineraries were unique..Santo Domingo as an embarkation
point! Ships that are no longer in existence. Cruise lines that no longer
exist...Shared experiences on the same ships, even how a botched up first
cruise reservation that made one become a T/A!! Wish I had the remarkable
memory that Tom has..you too, Eddie Burke! Plus I find that I have a
kinship with a fellow pack rat and some advice about the benefits of being
one! ;-)

I'm really enjoying this!

-Jean

Old October 2nd, 2005, 02:50 AM
Dick G.

First cruise was in March, 1969 on The Italian Line's Leonardo da Vinci out
of NYC with stops at San Juan and St. Thomas. We were in cabin 137 which
was behind the ships store and across the foyer from the dining room.

The Philadelphia passengers paid some ridiculously low fare and the line
chartered a Greyhound bus to take us to and from NYC, and my in-laws took us
from our home to the Greyhound terminal and then drove themselves and our
daughter to the pier and joined us on the ship for a "sailaway party".

I have 35mm slides of the trip somewhere, but I know that I don't have any
other memorabilia.
--
Dick G in Cherry Hill, NJ

"Charles" wrote in message
d...
In article , Jean
O'Boyle wrote:

Charles, you sound just like me! That is part of the reason that I am
talking about memories..I, just as you, have all the cruise dailies,

ship
photo postcards, final shipboard account bill, menus, even bag tags and
plastic ship board cards when they started giving those..Talk about a

pack

Yep. I have all that including the bag tags!!!

So what was the name of your first cruise ship? Glad you don't need a
hypnotist to remember..LOL!

Monarch of the Seas.

--
Charles