Car Insurance System in NZ?

Old January 17th, 2004, 06:07 PM
RonB

Default Car Insurance System in NZ?

Thanks for all the helpful comments. Some of the sources were also helpful
in revealing the "single car excess" approach used by some rental agencies,
namely that the excess (deductible) increases if no other vehicle is
involved in the accident.

Some further interesting points turned up when I did a search for NZ auto
rentals on Travelocity. One of the lower-cost agencies which came up (which
was not particulary low-cost, either, even before factoring in the insurance
issue) provides the following insurance (quoting from the info provided in
the listing):

a) Third Party Liability

"This insurance is included in the rate. Under New Zealand Law, renter is
covered up to 2 million New Zealand dollars. Renter is responsible for the
first 300USD."

From previous discussions and info, this would appear to cover ONLY damage
to propery owned by others, not loss or damage to the rental vehicle itself.

b) Loss Damage Waiver (LDW)

"This is an optional insurance. Renter is responsible for the first 200USD.
Insurance is void for accidents involving alcohol, drugs, or dangerous
driving. The cost of LDW is 12USD per day."

This appears to refer to insurance that would cover loss or damage to the
rented auto.

I.e., it appears this particular agency does not provide any protection
against rental car loss or damage in its "base" price, and that the purchase
of such insurance would significantly increase the total cost of the rental.

Just passing this along for further info and comment.

Thanks again,
Ron B

(to respond directly, please delete the "prot")

Old January 21st, 2004, 11:58 AM
trk

Try going to the Apex rental car site direct in NZ
they are a great company - we have used them 3 times so far
But then most NZ based and operated comapnies are (that is forgetting the
multi nationals like Avis)
we do not take out CDW insurance as this is covered by our Travel insurance
but it certainly pays to check your travel insurance
not only in relation to CDW but also in regards to general cover
some will cover you for property stolen from your vehicle
some will if it is in a locked boot in a locked garage
others not at all
After extensive research I found that Diners Club Travel insurance was by
far the best when it came to vehicle related insurance.
But than again I am not sure what what insurance is available in "the
States"
But a word of advice, on the numbers that I have seen you quoting, deal
directly with the companies in NZ, and pay NZ dollars, you will be
heaps in front
Trevor
Perth
Western Australia
[...]