Dec 2012 Allure of the Seas Eastern Caribbean Review

Old January 4th, 2013, 02:28 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Bill[_1_]

Default Dec 2012 Allure of the Seas Eastern Caribbean Review

On 1/3/2013 9:37 AM, rec.travel.cruises wrote:

Bill you are missing the point. You are being obnoxious.

You're awfully thin skinned if you think my reply to your posts are
obnoxious. I was merely pointing out my concerns with things that you
pointed out as fact. I can be much worse than that if I want to be
obnoxious, but I'll be nice and not subject you to it here.
Old January 8th, 2013, 03:08 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Gadget World

The tipping vouchers were a great idea and we too miss them.

I have been on the Allure and Oasis dozens of times and have not found
them crowded except when they have the boat drill.

I don't look at what others eat and I don't care.

If you think that Diamond members are ripped off, how about us
Pinnacle's. Te only benefit over Diamond plus is a name badge!

Royal Caribbean could make a fortune if they would motivate their
Diamond +'s to get to Pinnacle by offering more benefits for the
Pinnacle's.

I realize that most people don't live long enough and don't have the
half-million $ it took to get to Pinnacle, but just trying would boost
repeat sales. Most Diamond + members tell me that they just book the
cheapest cruise line now that they can't get more benefits.

Gadget

Old January 9th, 2013, 01:20 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
rec.travel.cruises[_3_]

On Monday, January 7, 2013 9:08:41 PM UTC-5, Gadget World wrote:
The tipping vouchers were a great idea and we too miss them.

We just received a reply to our feedback to RCCL about the vouchers. They said the elimination of the vouchers is part of their "Save the waves" program. We will go back to cash.

I have been on the Allure and Oasis dozens of times and have not found
them crowded except when they have the boat drill.

This last cruise in December 2012 was the first time we did not muster on the boat deck. We were directed to the main theater. Yes during muster it becomes apparent that there are 6,200 passengers on board. It can take a long time to make our way back to our stateroom on deck 14. We were surprised to feel the Allure crowded since last December 2011 on the Oasis we had the opposite feeling. The only difference, the Oasis was Western and the Allure was Eastern.

If you think that Diamond members are ripped off, how about us
Pinnacle's. Te only benefit over Diamond plus is a name badge!
Royal Caribbean could make a fortune if they would motivate their
Diamond +'s to get to Pinnacle by offering more benefits for the
Pinnacle's.

We agree, the gaps between levels are too big and the additional perks are minimal. While we enjoy discounts on our balcony or suite stateroom we would like to see an upgrade instead as we get on other lines. In all our RCCL cruises we have never been upgraded.
Old January 11th, 2013, 04:04 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article , Gadget
World the resident r.t.c. nut job wrote:

I realize that most people don't live long enough and don't have the
half-million $ it took to get to Pinnacle, but just trying would boost
repeat sales. Most Diamond + members tell me that they just book the
cheapest cruise line now that they can't get more benefits.

So they would rather cruise on cheap cruise lines where they get no
benefits?

Those who would spend a half a million on cruises would not go for the
cheapest lines for benefits. Or Royal Caribbean. They would cruise on
luxury lines where the benefits are built into their fare. Except you
of course. You went senile years ago.

--
Charles
Old January 11th, 2013, 09:41 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian K

On 12/28/2012 7:31 AM, rec.travel.cruises wrote:
Allure of the Seas
Ft. Lauderdale – Nassau -- St. Thomas -- St. Marten -- Ft. Lauderdale

Overall: We have cruised on many ships and many cruise lines. We know that not everything works 100 percent all the time and we understand that. However, we got the distinct feeling the ship was terribly overcrowded and RCCL was cutting back, streamlining, and downsizing. Every new gimmick forced us to do something extra to get the things which happened automatically in the past. We realize now why RCCL may be fostering automatic tipping. There is very little personal interaction with crew and along with that comes less tips. Interaction with the dining and stateroom staff has always been a fun part of cruising and a lost art on the Allure of the Seas. All this being said we still somewhat loyal to the RCCL brand and think the mega ships have much to offer. If RCCL would change from 2 star fast food to 4 star fine dining, the cruise experience would again be worthy of wearing a tuxedo on formal nights as we always do. We are starting to question that practice since we a

re in and out of the dining room in 40 minutes. We are also starting to look again to Princess and other cruise lines, though we have not booked them as of yet.

Recommendations: We recommend to RCCL the following:
1. Reinstate automatic tipping vouchers and envelopes delivered to the stateroom.
2. Return to the fine dining of many courses and quality of food of days past.
3. Reduce the time between when food is prepared and finally served in the Windjammer to avoid over cooked, cold, hard, and tasteless selections.
4. Remove prices for alternative food selections on the main dining room menu.
5. Resolve the issue of overcrowding of the Windjammer buffet grill.
6. Give value for the money spent on shore excursions.

I hope you directed your recommendations to your travel agent and RCCL.

Old January 12th, 2013, 05:26 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Gadget World

Charles,

I would not say you're senile. You just don't know how to read!

I said that Diamond+ members tell me that once they reach Diamond+, they
go for the cheapest cruise as they no longer get additional benefits for
their ranking.

Old January 12th, 2013, 04:16 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article , Gadget
World wrote:

I would not say you're senile. You just don't know how to read!

I said that Diamond+ members tell me that once they reach Diamond+, they
go for the cheapest cruise as they no longer get additional benefits for
their ranking.

I know how to read, your posts have always been whacko logic. You
having senility or dementia would be one explanation. The other would
be you are just plain nuts.

Diamond Plus members deciding to give up the Diamond Plus amenities
they accrued because there were no additional amenities after that
level would be idiots.

When picking any cruise an intelligent choice is based on the total
picture of itinerary, price, amenities etc.

--
Charles
Old January 14th, 2013, 03:32 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Alan Conceicao

Not trying to be too critical, since my only experience with RCCL is not one
of their monster ships....

The dining room menu had a good selection of items but when delivered to
the table the portions were small, with poor cuts of meat and prepared
poorly.

"The food here is terrible, and the portions are too small"?

Dining Room Menu: A practice by RCCL is to place additional food
selections ($fee) on the menu. At a table with many guests this creates a
tiered system of those who pay extra for better cuts of meat and those
who choose the regular cuts. This is a “tacky” practice by RCCL and
several passengers expressed dissatisfaction and embarrassment of the
practice.

I'm not big on it myself, but that's been common practice for a few years
now with RCCL.

Entertainment: Where RCCL’s food is abysmal their entertainment is
superb. There are so many shows and activities on the ship that we were
kept busy for the entire cruise. Having reservation for each venue made
getting a seat easy. But to get a reservation in the time slot you want,
you must do so well in advance of your cruise online on RCCL’S website.
One show, the Comedy Show was booked solid months in advance for the
earlier shows and we had to settle for the 11:30 p.m. show. Passengers
new to cruising who are not aware entertainment can be booked months in
advance may find themselves shut out of prime time slots.

I knew about the advance ticketing thing but wasn't aware they did their
reservations way out like that. Hmm. Reminds me of one of the reasons I
don't like going to Disney World much these days; obscene amounts of
structuring for my vacation.

Tipping: During previous cruises we had changed from cash tipping to
automatic tipping.

snip

I'm on the opposite side of the equation from you. I understand your concern
for the staff of the ship with automatic tipping, but my attitude as someone
who often prepays gratuities is that it is the responsibility of the cruise
line to let their staff understand and be aware of who is in the boat of
auto-tipping and who isn't. I to often add extra cash on top of those
automatic gratuities when the service deserves it. However, pushing the
envelopes and slips of paper in front of me seems arcane and obsolete as a
practice. The entire process of automatically tipping for me is to avoid
that scene.

Because of the steep increases in shore excursions, we choose only one and
made our own arrangements for others while in port at considerably less
cost.

It is a revenue generator for the cruise ships and we accept that. I don't
know what there is to do about it.

We are also starting to look again to Princess and other cruise lines,
though we have not booked them as of yet.

FWIW my last experience with Princess wasn't much different than what I've
encountered on RCCL in terms of service, quality of food, et al. Differences
lie elsewhere and are more aesthetic than concrete.

Old January 14th, 2013, 05:50 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Bill[_1_]

On 1/13/2013 9:32 PM, Alan Conceicao wrote:

"The food here is terrible, and the portions are too small"?

Based on one of my favorite movie quotes of all time!

Dining Room Menu: A practice by RCCL is to place additional food
selections ($fee) on the menu. At a table with many guests this
creates a tiered system of those who pay extra for better cuts of
meat and those who choose the regular cuts. This is a “tacky”
practice by RCCL and several passengers expressed dissatisfaction and
embarrassment of the practice.

I'm not big on it myself, but that's been common practice for a few
years now with RCCL.

I don't like the practice of charging extra for certain things in the
MDR but I don't see how this is any different than people who may go to
a specialty restaurant several nights. Do you feel embarrassed when they
show up the following night and tell you about their $40 meal while you
ate the normal MDR food? That was the OP's main complaint, it seemed.

Bill
Old January 14th, 2013, 01:53 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Alan Conceicao

I don't like the practice of charging extra for certain things in the
MDR but I don't see how this is any different than people who may go to
a specialty restaurant several nights. Do you feel embarrassed when they
show up the following night and tell you about their $40 meal while you
ate the normal MDR food? That was the OP's main complaint, it seemed.

Intrinsically I see that argument and understand it from RCCL's perspective.
I think the "embarrassment" is his/her way of characterizing their reaction
to RCCL being what it is and them being on it. I personally find that a
little strange since I don't see that particular change as being something
that should have noticeably upset them. They write in the TR that they took
the Oasis already, after all, and that was rolled out after RCCL had already
made the call to start charging in the MDR for a superior cut.