Any one been to Israel?

Old November 28th, 2003, 03:20 PM
June

Default Any one been to Israel?

Planning a two weeks holidays there in mid Dec. Any advise?

Old November 29th, 2003, 09:05 PM
ExpatNL

if you could choose between 'israel' and jordan what would it be? jordan is
amazing!

Old December 7th, 2003, 01:19 PM
Steven

Went to both Jordan and Israel in October/Nov. There isn't much to see in
Amman, but Petra is a must see. It's easy to cross over from Israel at the
Aquba border in the south. If you're in the area, you should perhaps go to
Egypt too -- it's a fantastic opportunity if you haven't been before.

I really liked Israel -- we crossed over into the West Bank from Jordan on
the King Hussein / Allenby Bridge with a bus full of Palestinians, which was
an experience. Jerusalem is beautiful, and there are so many fantastic
things to see. We also went to Ein Gedi, where the Dead Sea is. There's a
very good IYH hostel there.

The contrast between Israel and its neighbours is stark. Israel is very
european in the context of the Middle East.

Old December 7th, 2003, 01:55 PM
June

Thanks. How long did you stay in Israel and Jordan? I only have two weeks,
but I have been to Egypt in my last trip. yes, it is fantastic.

"Steven" ¼¶¼g©ó¶l¥ó·s»D

Old December 7th, 2003, 05:00 PM
Turby

On Sun, 7 Dec 2003 13:19:37 +0000 (UTC), "Steven"
wrote:

things to see. We also went to Ein Gedi, where the Dead Sea is. There's a
very good IYH hostel there.

Ah, yes - the memories. I worked at that hostel in 1973-74. What a
great experience. It was a good place to meet people, especially young
ladies who enjoyed sneaking off to the date fields at night. When the
Yom Kippur war started, they evacuated all the tourists, but the staff
stayed behind. I spent a lot of time hiking up into Nahal David to the
springs to watch the Ibyx play. That was the most peaceful time in my
life, except when the F-14s would fly over on their way to the Golan.

Old December 12th, 2003, 07:33 PM
freeda

" Went to both Jordan and Israel in October/Nov. There isn't much to see
in
Amman, but Petra is a must see. It's easy to cross over from Israel at

the
Aquba border in the south. If you're in the area, you should perhaps go

Egypt too -- it's a fantastic opportunity if you haven't been before.

I really liked Israel -- we crossed over into the West Bank from Jordan on
the King Hussein / Allenby Bridge with a bus full of Palestinians, which

was
an experience. Jerusalem is beautiful, and there are so many fantastic
things to see. We also went to Ein Gedi, where the Dead Sea is. There's

very good IYH hostel there.

The contrast between Israel and its neighbours is stark. Israel is very
european in the context of the Middle East.

Is it true that if you have an Israeli stampt in your passport, you are
unlikely to be allowed entry into most other Arab countries??

Old December 13th, 2003, 05:03 PM
Steven

Is it true that if you have an Israeli stampt in your passport, you are
unlikely to be allowed entry into most other Arab countries??

Yes, although Jordan and Egypt don't have a problem with Israel. Some of
the other Arab countries like Syria are likley to refuse you entry with an
Israeli stamp. Depends what your circumstances are, but my passport runs
out in 3 years, so I suspect I'll manage until I get a new one.