swiss army knife and pen

Old January 25th, 2008, 10:18 PM posted to rec.travel.air
JA_Moran

Default swiss army knife and pen

I saw a swiss army knife and pen combination and bought one. I collect
all sorts of interesting and logo pens.

It's funny, I can take the pen/knife through the airport with no
problem. Even if I take it out and run it through x-ray it is treated as
if it's a pen. The thing has small scisors, a small screwdriver, and a
blade that is about an inch long.

On a flight last night, I was handed a snack in a bag, the plastic was
being stubborn, I pulled my pen out of my pocket and used the scissors
to cut open the plastic bag.

I also showed the pen to the guy next to me. he thought it was pretty
clever. The flat screwdriver comes in handy when I need to screw in or
takke loose a computer monitor. I've used the scissors when I had to
make labels for computers in the server room to trim the labels so they
would fit on either the cables, or on the server.

JOHN
Old January 26th, 2008, 07:47 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Mr. Travel

JA_MORAN wrote:

[...]

Did you open it up and show TSA when you went through screening?
Old January 29th, 2008, 02:54 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Tom Peel[_8_]

JA_MORAN schrieb:
[...]

Somebody told me yesterday that the security rules in Europe are being
changed so you can carry a Swiss army knife up to 6cm long in hand
luggage. Still no fluids allowed though.

Anyone else heard or read this??

T.
Old January 29th, 2008, 03:27 PM posted to rec.travel.air
[email protected]

On Jan 25, 9:18 pm, JA_MORAN wrote:
[...]

Sounds great. Does it include a built-in box-cutter?
Old January 30th, 2008, 12:20 PM posted to rec.travel.air
JA_Moran

I leave the knife/pen in my pocket with a few other pens and do put in
the bowl or in a plastic bag with my wallet and keys, noting is ever
said, oh it's a pen, it's ok....

anyway I use it as a TOOL not as an instrument of Terror....
opening beverage containers, opening heavy plastic bags, cutting loose
threads on clothing....

be sensible, be reasonable be workable, I wrote my senators and
represenatives last night.

Old January 30th, 2008, 05:16 PM posted to rec.travel.air
irwell

They seem to cost in the region of $50, quite a bit of cash
to lose if the TSA decide to confiscate.

Old January 31st, 2008, 04:29 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Mr. Travel

JA_MORAN wrote:
I leave the knife/pen in my pocket with a few other pens and do put in
the bowl or in a plastic bag with my wallet and keys, noting is ever
said, oh it's a pen, it's ok....

I see. So, you now admit you don't feel it is your right to carry a
knife as you would like about it if confronterd.

anyway I use it as a TOOL not as an instrument of Terror....
opening beverage containers, opening heavy plastic bags, cutting loose
threads on clothing....

Right. Of course, a box cutter can also be used for opening boxes.
Old January 31st, 2008, 02:47 PM posted to rec.travel.air
JA_Moran

you DO NOT have to let TSA confiscate... you can go to airline counter
and ask them to send as a "checked item"

I would NEVER let TSA have anyhting they don't like as I have the right
to either give to airline or mail to myself....

about the only thing you really don't have an option with is a GUN

where I live, it is LEGAL to carry a gun on your hip and I do, as people
with guns who are properly trained have stopped crimes. I usually go
through what I have in my bag to verify the gun is either left in my
truck or left at home.

I have used the gun to help catch someone breaking into cars, and also
to help catch a bank robber. With concealed weapons, the bad people
never know who is and who is not armed.

Old January 31st, 2008, 05:34 PM posted to rec.travel.air
irwell

On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 06:47:28 -0700, JA_MORAN wrote:

you DO NOT have to let TSA confiscate... you can go to airline counter
and ask them to send as a "checked item"

So now you have to pick up your gear at the Inspection point and
go all the way back to the airline counter, maybe have to join a line
to get to speakl to an agent, then line up again at the Security
Inspection. Great!