Frugal Hawaii vacation?

Old April 6th, 2004, 09:00 AM
honu

Default Frugal Hawaii vacation?

Here are some suggestions:

Limit trip to Oahu as this is the only island with decent bus transportation
and a website that tells you what bus to take to get to the main tourist
attractions. www.thebus.org

Airfare alone to another island will run you about $150 per person roundtrip
and you will need to rent a car, plus spend hours in the airport for a 25-60
minute flight.

Consider a Pleasant Hawaii package as some other poster has suggested

If you want to make your own air arrangements, look into ATA; they're
advertising some pretty good prices here in Hawaii. Pleasant Hawaii uses
ATA. Delta may still have a direct flight fromSt. Louis, and would
eliminate spending a lot of time in transit.

Look for hotel that's not close to the beach. If you can get one with a
kitchenette, you can also save on food. Pagoda Hotel comes to mind as
meeting both conditions and its also in the Entertainment Book

If you like Asian cuisine (Vietnamese, Chinese, Korean, Thai) you'll have no
problem eating cheaply and well at a lot of whole in the walls. If you're
meat and potatoes, you're kind of stuck with fast foods for cheap eats.

wrote in message
My 19 yr old nephew graduates from high school this spring. He is then
off to college next fall

Me and him are very close. Im 46 and kind of like a father to him.

I want to take him to Oahu and possibly spend a day on one of the
other islands as well.

Naturally money is an issue and want to do this as cost effective as
possible. We would leave from St Louis..... or maybe even Chicago
which is 4 hrs away but we do have amtrak access to Chicago.

Soooo..... any advice, opinions, thoughts on how to get to Hawaii
frugally?

We'd like to go the second week of June.... right after he gets out of
high school at end of May.

Old April 6th, 2004, 11:14 AM
alohacyberian

wrote in message
My 19 yr old nephew graduates from high school this spring. He is then
off to college next fall

Me and him are very close. Im 46 and kind of like a father to him.

I want to take him to Oahu and possibly spend a day on one of the
other islands as well.

Naturally money is an issue and want to do this as cost effective as
possible. We would leave from St Louis..... or maybe even Chicago
which is 4 hrs away but we do have amtrak access to Chicago.

Soooo..... any advice, opinions, thoughts on how to get to Hawaii
frugally?

We'd like to go the second week of June.... right after he gets out of
high school at end of May.

You are invited to visit my Hawaii webpage at:
~ http://hawaii.home.att.net/ where you'll find information for each of the
Hawaiian Islands, but, you won't find any pop-ups, advertising, cookies or
things for sale. Bon voyage! KM
--
(-:alohacyberian:-) At my website there are 3000 live cameras or
visit NASA, play games, read jokes, send greeting cards & connect

Old April 6th, 2004, 11:14 AM
alohacyberian

"Ken" wrote in message
"Peter L" wrote in news:c4s63u$2lka59$1@ID-
226616.news.uni-berlin.de:
wrote in message
Don't go during high tourist season.

When is that? What time frame?

Before Memorial Day and after Labor Day, except during Christmas.

Christmas is the busiest time, by far. June is also pretty busy with lots

of
graduating students visiting. Look for charter packages (air/hotel/car).
They can often be cheaper than booking separately, but there are lots of
restrictions and schedules can be inconvenient. Oahu is the most expensive
island. You can find more moderately priced motels on the other islands.
There are many moderately priced family-style restauarants all over.

August is usually busier than June. The most off-peak times are the middle of
October and the middle of April. KM

Old April 6th, 2004, 03:41 PM

Oahu is the most expensive
island. You can find more moderately priced motels on the other islands.
There are many moderately priced family-style restauarants all over.

OK.... well I thought Id stay on Oahu.... but take an island hopper
plane to another island just for the day.

I want my nephew to see the Pearl Harbor and the Arizona memorial....
one reason I thought abt staying on Oahu
Old April 6th, 2004, 03:43 PM

I wouldn't limit myself the the Hawaiian islands.

How come?
Old April 6th, 2004, 03:47 PM

Been there many times and tried lots of ways. One of the best/frugal
ways is one of the discount packages e.g. Pleasant Hawaiian. It is a
package deal which includes hotel. Not the best rooms but clean and
comfortable. Who's gonna sit in a hotel room anyway in Hawaii?! As for
another island, been there done that, make it another time and
concentrate on Oahu.

OK..... just thought we "might" spend a day on another island by
taking an island hopping plane

But yes.... want to stay on Oahu cause of the Pearl Harbor
memroial....and other "history".

Again.... he is 19 and hardly traveled anywhere
Old April 6th, 2004, 03:56 PM

Airfare alone to another island will run you about $150 per person roundtrip
and you will need to rent a car, plus spend hours in the airport for a 25-60
minute flight.

Ahh.... so no bus transportation on the other islands huh? Nothing at
all? Cant even rent a couple of scooters?

Consider a Pleasant Hawaii package as some other poster has suggested

Looked at their web age but they don't have any plans leaving from St
Louis. Closest one they have is from Chicago.

If you want to make your own air arrangements, look into ATA; they're
advertising some pretty good prices here in Hawaii. Pleasant Hawaii uses
ATA. Delta may still have a direct flight fromSt. Louis, and would
eliminate spending a lot of time in transit.

What is ATA? And yes TWA did have direct flights from st louis at one
time. Oh wait a minute.... TWA doesn't exist anymore do they? Are
they now called ATA?

If you like Asian cuisine (Vietnamese, Chinese, Korean, Thai) you'll have no
problem eating cheaply and well at a lot of whole in the walls. If you're
meat and potatoes, you're kind of stuck with fast foods for cheap eats.

Good idea!
Old April 6th, 2004, 06:44 PM

Because depending upon where the original poster lives, there may be
other tropical destinations which may be financially more accessible.
From Chicago, the Mayan Riviera and Isla Mujeres are less air fare.
They are even in the same time zone. Outside of Cancun in beach
communities Puerto Morelos, Playa del Carmen, Akumal and Tulum there are
lots of affordable (and great) lodgings.

Im the original poster and Im two hrs north of St Louis

You give e food for thought1 Please keep talking ok! lol