changing departure point

Old March 16th, 2004, 07:27 PM
rome

Default changing departure point

Would like info on how easy it is to change departure point. I am booked on
a flight from Munich (KLM) to Amsterdam but would like to change the booking
to Salzburg via KLM partner Air Alps.

Question, do I ask KLM - before departure for Europe (in May) or do I wait
until I get to Europe, even waiting till last minute. Are airlines (KLM)
accomodating with situations like this?

Thanks...

Old March 16th, 2004, 09:20 PM
Traveller

"Hilary" wrote in message

In general, it's not very easy and often impossible - for most tickets,
the only changeable part is the return, so you may need to cancel and
rebook (if possible/feasible).

Question, do I ask KLM - before departure for Europe (in May) or do I

wait
until I get to Europe, even waiting till last minute. Are airlines (KLM)
accomodating with situations like this?

Do it now. If you wait till last minute then you'll probably find you
have no ticket at all.

Further to Hilary's comments, I'd add that it's likely to be an expensive
choice if you do change your ticket. Typically, many US-Europe fares do
have some changeability, but it's usually at a price of US$100 or EUR100 per
change, and even then, it's usually only the date of return travel that can
be changed.

Tell us this: who is the issuing airline (top left of your ticket, "issued
by") and what is the fare basis (you'll see this either on your itinerary,
or on the ticket itself directly after the flight number: something like "KL
123 YPX or KL 123 NEUN" or some other combination of letters - up to 6/7 is
possible.

Tell us that, and we might be able to tell you if you have a chance.

Old March 16th, 2004, 10:51 PM
nightjar

"rome" wrote in message
Would like info on how easy it is to change departure point. I am booked

on
a flight from Munich (KLM) to Amsterdam but would like to change the

booking
to Salzburg via KLM partner Air Alps.

It depends very much on the price you paid for your ticket. Full fare
tickets are usually very flexible. Cheap tickets usually have the terms
written in stone.

Colin Bignell

Old March 17th, 2004, 12:03 AM
XOR

"rome" wrote in message ...
Would like info on how easy it is to change departure point. I am booked on
a flight from Munich (KLM) to Amsterdam but would like to change the booking
to Salzburg via KLM partner Air Alps.

Question, do I ask KLM - before departure for Europe (in May) or do I wait
until I get to Europe, even waiting till last minute. Are airlines (KLM)
accomodating with situations like this?

Thanks...

If you intend to try any changes, do them now, before the trip starts.
At least for the tickets I've been travelling on this past year,
they've all said I can make any changes (sometimes for a fee,
sometimes not if FF award) _before_ the trip begins. Changes _after_
the first leg is taken can only involve date changes but must be the
same routing (for another fee). Of course, this depends on the type of
ticket you have. My one KLM trip recently followed this same rule, but
I am not sure it applies across the board. Call KLM or your booking
agent.
Old March 17th, 2004, 12:16 AM
Iceman

"rome" wrote in message ...
Would like info on how easy it is to change departure point. I am booked on
a flight from Munich (KLM) to Amsterdam but would like to change the booking
to Salzburg via KLM partner Air Alps.

Question, do I ask KLM - before departure for Europe (in May) or do I wait
until I get to Europe, even waiting till last minute. Are airlines (KLM)
accomodating with situations like this?

It depends 100% on what kind of ticket you have rather than on what
airline. Some tickets are fully changeable up to the time of
departure, while others are completely forfeit if you don't take that
exact flight. Check the small print on your reservation.

If you are able to change it, do so ASAP - the flight to Salzburg
could fill up long before you get to Europe.