Teaching english in Europe with no degree but TEFL certificate?

Old January 10th, 2006, 11:34 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Default Teaching english in Europe with no degree but TEFL certificate?

Hi All,

I was wondering if it is feasible to teach English in Europe with only
a college diploma and a TEFL certificate. I also have a EU passport.

Any suggestions would be great!!

Old January 10th, 2006, 11:38 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

On 10 Jan 2006 14:34:55 -0800, "flyingdutchman"
wrote:

Hi All,

I was wondering if it is feasible to teach English in Europe with only
a college diploma and a TEFL certificate. I also have a EU passport.

Any suggestions would be great!!

Try this resource......

http://www.eslcafe.com/

Keith, Bristol, UK

DE-MUNG for email replies

Old January 11th, 2006, 05:46 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

flyingdutchman writes:

I was wondering if it is feasible to teach English in Europe with only
a college diploma and a TEFL certificate. I also have a EU passport.

That is more than sufficient in many markets. Be aware, however, that
ESL teaching tends to pay very poorly in most of Europe, since there
are plenty of people wanting to do exactly what you want to do.

In general, the less desirable the location, the better ESL teachers
are paid there. So London or Paris will pay very poorly, but Mkryzto
in Outer Vulgaria may pay fairly well.

Also, there are some positions in ESL that pay moderately well, even
in saturated markets. These positions require both a TEFL or CELTA
and a degree in some related field, often in education. That is, they
require you to meet the requirements for a normal public-school
teacher. Viewed from that standpoint, though, they actually don't pay
that well after all (unless you already happen to have the
qualifications--these jobs certainly don't justify going out to get
them).

Old January 11th, 2006, 08:19 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Thank you very much for the replies so far. I will take a look at the
eslcafe and see whats out there.. It doesnt have to pay that well as
long as i could afford food and shelter and some spending money that is
good for me.

Old January 11th, 2006, 09:03 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

On 10 Jan 2006 23:19:35 -0800, "flyingdutchman"
wrote:

Thank you very much for the replies so far. I will take a look at the
eslcafe and see whats out there.. It doesnt have to pay that well as
long as i could afford food and shelter and some spending money that is
good for me.

I know a few people teaching here in Italy, and they do just fine. You
also need to be mother-tongue English too if you want to have a
chance. Actually, none of the guys I know even have their TEFL
certificate I don't think! The most important thing seems to be being
presentable, and having the right bits of paper to work.
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com
Old January 11th, 2006, 10:02 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

On 11/01/06 9:03, in article ,
"DDT Filled Mormons" wrote:

I know a few people teaching here in Italy, and they do just fine. You
also need to be mother-tongue English too if you want to have a
chance. Actually, none of the guys I know even have their TEFL
certificate I don't think! The most important thing seems to be being
presentable, and having the right bits of paper to work.

We have a personal friend who teaches English to foreigners
as a regular professional activity in Boston. She currently is
on a Fulbright to Bulgaria doing the same. But she is employed
institutionally, not freelance. She tried freelancing it in Paris
for about 3, years and it did not provide enough income. She had
regular working papers so that was not a problem and professional
credentials.

The problem is that one works normally through language schools
who hire on a temporary contractual basis. So one is contractual, not
really an employee of the school. So one might get a contract for so many
courses and hours per week, once that contract period is over you have
to find another contract. You might get several contracts with several
schools. For a while One is not paid for non-contract periods
and the demand for teachers drops to zero, certain periods (like the
summer) and one is unemployed. No paid vacations, etc. Of
what the students pay, the school gets the lion's share, the teacher
gets a small share of the total income.

It is hard to get over 20 hours of week teaching assignments. While
sometimes the per hour rate looks good, the yearly income is not.

On the other hand if one can get hired by a corporation or some other
institution, one has a full year's income, paid vacation, medical
insurance etc. And probably not as heavy a teaching schedule.

Old January 11th, 2006, 11:35 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

wrote:

Hi All,

I was wondering if it is feasible to teach English in Europe with only
a college diploma and a TEFL certificate. I also have a EU passport.

Any suggestions would be great!!

In Italy, those qualifications might get you a job in a private
language instruction school, but the pay is really miserable.

--
Barbara Vaughan
My email address is my first initial followed by my surname at libero dot it
Old January 11th, 2006, 11:42 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Following up to Martin :

... Viewed from that standpoint, though, they actually don't pay
that well after all (unless you already happen to have the
qualifications--these jobs certainly don't justify going out to get
them).

So what do you do it for?

He can't do anything else.
--
Tim C.
Old January 11th, 2006, 01:23 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Runge writes:

Teaching is a vocation, not a good pay job.

Teaching is charity work.