Overland Travel - Alice Springs - Ayers Rock

Old August 28th, 2006, 12:51 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Globetrotter

Default Overland Travel - Alice Springs - Ayers Rock

Am researching travel overland between Alice and Uluru. While searching
for info can anybody offer opinions as to car hire or travelling by bus.
I have ruled out air travel as its a bit expensive and you miss all the
scenery as well. We are travelling to Darwin on the Gahn and wish to
break our journey in Alice Springs before heading off to Katherine and
Darwin

Old August 30th, 2006, 08:08 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Keith W[_2_]

"Globetrotter" wrote in message
u...
Am researching travel overland between Alice and Uluru. While searching
for info can anybody offer opinions as to car hire or travelling by bus.
I have ruled out air travel as its a bit expensive and you miss all the
scenery as well. We are travelling to Darwin on the Gahn and wish to break
our journey in Alice Springs before heading off to Katherine and Darwin

There are plenty of car hire outfits in Darwin, as google will show you.
I rented from Thrifty last time I was in town

There are also plenty of buses down to Uluru - again google
is your friend.

Keith

Old August 30th, 2006, 12:19 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Globetrotter

Fred wrote:
"Globetrotter" wrote in message
u...

Am researching travel overland between Alice and Uluru. While searching
for info can anybody offer opinions as to car hire or travelling by bus.
I have ruled out air travel as its a bit expensive and you miss all the
scenery as well. We are travelling to Darwin on the Gahn and wish to break
our journey in Alice Springs before heading off to Katherine and Darwin

Scenery?

You betcha. The NT stands out on its own, especially with its vibrant
scenery.
Old September 1st, 2006, 06:03 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
[email protected]

On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 08:08:21 +0100, "Keith W"
wrote:

"Globetrotter" wrote in message
. au...
Am researching travel overland between Alice and Uluru. While searching
for info can anybody offer opinions as to car hire or travelling by bus.
I have ruled out air travel as its a bit expensive and you miss all the
scenery as well. We are travelling to Darwin on the Gahn and wish to break
our journey in Alice Springs before heading off to Katherine and Darwin

There are plenty of car hire outfits in Darwin, as google will show you.
I rented from Thrifty last time I was in town

Mind you, if you want to go from "The Alice" to Uluhru, it would be an
awful long way to hire the vehicle.....

Hiring in Alice Springs may be more desirable.

Keep in mind it is also a fair hike down to "The rock" from Alice.
Check your maps for ACTUAL distances.

Watch out for tourists taking photos on bends in the road as you
drive.

When we went there a couple of years back, we were just coming around
a blind bend and there was campervan stopped in the middle of the
road, with the occupants out on the road taking photos of camels !!!

If I had been a road train they may well have gone home in Bodybags.
What would have been left of them anyway.

Please take care and enjoy your trip.

There are also plenty of buses down to Uluru - again google
is your friend.

Quite a few operators do the run from Alice to Uluhru as Kieth says,
and you should be able to organise beforehand or I'm sure you could
find some shown at the station when you get to Alice Springs.

Tony

Keith

Old September 5th, 2006, 02:59 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Globetrotter

wrote:

"Globetrotter" wrote in message
.au...

Am researching travel overland between Alice and Uluru. While searching
for info can anybody offer opinions as to car hire or travelling by bus.
I have ruled out air travel as its a bit expensive and you miss all the
scenery as well. We are travelling to Darwin on the Gahn and wish to break
our journey in Alice Springs before heading off to Katherine and Darwin

There are plenty of car hire outfits in Darwin, as google will show you.
I rented from Thrifty last time I was in town

Mind you, if you want to go from "The Alice" to Uluhru, it would be an
awful long way to hire the vehicle.....

624 Km's, so Ive been told.

Hiring in Alice Springs may be more desirable.

I was thinking of a one way hire with Thrifty.

Keep in mind it is also a fair hike down to "The rock" from Alice.
Check your maps for ACTUAL distances.

Watch out for tourists taking photos on bends in the road as you
drive.

When we went there a couple of years back, we were just coming around
a blind bend and there was campervan stopped in the middle of the
road, with the occupants out on the road taking photos of camels !!!

If I had been a road train they may well have gone home in Bodybags.
What would have been left of them anyway.

Please take care and enjoy your trip.

Thanks for that. I will.

Old September 5th, 2006, 07:45 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Ken Pisichko

Fred wrote:

"Globetrotter" wrote in message
u...
Am researching travel overland between Alice and Uluru. While searching
for info can anybody offer opinions as to car hire or travelling by bus.
I have ruled out air travel as its a bit expensive and you miss all the
scenery as well. We are travelling to Darwin on the Gahn and wish to break
our journey in Alice Springs before heading off to Katherine and Darwin

Scenery?

After bicycling between Cairns and Darwin I can only say that outback australia
has LOTS of scenery. Fred, you just need to open your eyes and look at it - it
varies by the kilometer - the road changes. The soil changes. The...

Just open your eyes Fred. Oh, and by the way, have you actually travelled there?
If so, have you been sober while doing that travel? Just wondering as i am not
trying to offend you or any one else who has a negative view of what they think
"outback australia' should look like.

It is exactly what it is - NOTHING less.

Ken
Canada