Milford Track and Routeburn Tracks, rough dollar amount.

Old January 14th, 2007, 01:27 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
[email protected]

Default Milford Track and Routeburn Tracks, rough dollar amount.

Howdie all,

Without my life story getting in the way, basically how much would I in
need in Australian dollars to walk both Milford Track and Routeburn
Tracks ignoring airfares and gear (which i mostly have already, from my
other bush walking adventures).

Starting from Queenstown, using public transport (I unfortunately
haven't had my license long enough to hire a car). Backpacker
accommodation doesn't bother me (it's preferred, you meet some
interesting people that way)

I don't need a detailed interary but just some approximate number so i
can work out if it is palusable.

The long story,

I've just finished uni in aus and have a good casual job that is paying
well enough to give me an alright bit of disposable income. Before i
join the workforce full time and start putting my piece of paper to use
i want to walk these two tracks i've heard people rave about, and who's
pictures i've admired on many a track report.

Any help/ideas people can give will be appricated

thanks, brent

Old January 14th, 2007, 08:57 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Fred[_4_]

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

There are two ways to walk these tracks. (called tramping in NZ) As a guided
walker you will join a large party and have your gear provided, meals
supplied and cooked etc. That's the expensive option - over $1000 per track
or thereabouts (that could be a bit outdated now) Alternatively go as a
'freedom walker'. Means carrying your own gear, and preparing meals etc.
Groups of 40 or more start each day, so you're not stuck for company.
Milford means using their transport to start of lake, and again at end to
return to Te Anau, so that's the dearest. Last time I did it in season it
was around $200 NZ. Routeburn is cheaper depending on the transport to and
from start of tramp. The cheapest is The Kepler because it starts and
finishes at Te Anau, and leaves only hut fees of $40 per night, and most do
it in 3 nights.

More information here.

http://www.doc.govt.nz/templates/Act....aspx?id=38471

Old January 17th, 2007, 12:41 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Ralph Fox

On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 08:57:13 +1300, in message ,
Fred wrote:

wrote in message
ups.com...
Howdie all,

Without my life story getting in the way, basically how much would I in
need in Australian dollars to walk both Milford Track and Routeburn
Tracks ignoring airfares and gear (which i mostly have already, from my
other bush walking adventures).

--snip--

There are two ways to walk these tracks. (called tramping in NZ) As a guided
walker you will join a large party and have your gear provided, meals
supplied and cooked etc. That's the expensive option - over $1000 per track
or thereabouts (that could be a bit outdated now)

That's about right for the Routeburn.
The Milford guided walk costs around $1600-$1750.