Geographical Nicknames

Old August 31st, 2004, 09:39 PM

There's Baja Oklahoma for Texas.

"Joy" wrote in message
Hi -

I am amused by geographical nicknames - Lost Wages for Las Vegas,
Taxachusettes for Massachusettes.

Can anyone come up with any more?

Thanks!

Old August 31st, 2004, 10:57 PM
Roger B.

"Joy" wrote...
I am amused by geographical nicknames - Lost Wages
for Las Vegas, Taxachusettes for Massachusettes.
Can anyone come up with any more?

My hometown: "Hogtown" for Gainesville, Florida...
but then, that was its actual name at one time. [R]

Old August 31st, 2004, 11:08 PM
Joy

The Wet Coast = The West Coast

Kitchy-Loo = Kitchener-Waterloo, Ontario

Lotusland = British Columbia

Hongcouver = Vancouver

Cowgary = Calgary

Joy

Old September 1st, 2004, 02:33 AM
Stephen Dailey

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 15:27:39 GMT, Joy wrote:

Hi -

I am amused by geographical nicknames - Lost Wages for Las Vegas,
Taxachusettes for Massachusettes.

Can anyone come up with any more?

Within the state of Washington:

Bremerton - Bummertown
Port Orchard - Port Tortured
Edmonds - Deadmonds

and, of course, the People's Republic of Seattle.

===
Stephen Dailey
Shoreline, Washington USA

31 Aug 2004, 1833 PDT
Old September 1st, 2004, 04:32 AM
Norm Soley

"Joy" wrote in news:HF6Zc.116615$Np3.5065022@ursa-
nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca:

The Wet Coast = The West Coast

Kitchy-Loo = Kitchener-Waterloo, Ontario

Never heard that one and I lived there for several years

Kay Dub is occasionally heard

Old September 1st, 2004, 04:45 AM
Auntie Em

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 15:27:39 GMT, "Joy" wrote:

Hi -

I am amused by geographical nicknames - Lost Wages for Las Vegas,
Taxachusettes for Massachusettes.

Can anyone come up with any more?

Thanks!

We visited Port Isable, Texas last February, and dubbed it Port
Isabore.

Em
The first half of our lives is ruined by our parents,
and the second half by our children.
--- Clarence Darrow
(make that YOUR children).
Old September 1st, 2004, 05:08 AM
Nile

I am amused by geographical nicknames - Lost Wages for Las Vegas,

Taxachusettes for Massachusettes.

Nashvegas for the country-show-business side of Nashville.

Old September 1st, 2004, 07:02 AM
eric h

In article , PeterL wrote:

LaLaLand for LA.

I've used this, but I much prefer Herb Caen's word: Lozangeles. He also
sometimes referred to his beloved San Francisco as Ess Eff.

A friend from Washington's arid "tri-cities" of Richland, Pasco and
Kennewick refers to them as the Dry ****ties.

Indianapolis often suffers the nick of "India-No-Place." I like visiting
Indy, but have slipped and referred to it as Nap Town.

Seattle's tourist pitch as the emerald city never stuck with me; I always
called it Jet City, after the product that made it famous after Rainier
Beer and before Starbucks.

Chicago never nicknames in my mind.
--
---
"Wake Up, Everybody."--McFadden/Whitehead/Carstarphen
Old September 1st, 2004, 01:54 PM
Bill Pittman

In article ,
"Joy" wrote:

Hi -

I am amused by geographical nicknames - Lost Wages for Las Vegas,
Taxachusettes for Massachusettes.

Can anyone come up with any more?

Mostly Peculiar for Montpelier, VT.

--
Bill Pittman; change for e-mail as indicated