Are there campsites in OZ

Old February 14th, 2005, 06:18 AM
kerbear

Default Are there campsites in OZ

My boyfriend and I are traveling to OZ in May, but we wanted to camp
more than pay for Hostels and Hotels. The only camp site we found in
the book "Lonely Planets guide" to OZ were on the Whitesundays islands.
Is this true? We certainly can't afford hotel stays every where we go.
We were thinking of using the Quantas airpass to arrive in Brisbane,
stay a few days go to Cairns, stay 5days, travel to Darwin and stay a
few days, and end up in Sydney. We are trying to keep the rental car
and hotel stays to a minimun. Does anybody have any suggestions??
Thanks-
Kernear

--
kerbear
kerbear's Profile: http://travelforums.org/forums/member.php?userid=777

Old February 14th, 2005, 07:31 AM
Scotty

Theres more camping spots in Oz than you can poke a stick at Kerbear. Pick
a spot that doesnt have a "NO CAMPING" sign and away ya go, literaly
thousands of great spots to camp. I can think of several nice spots within
2 hours drive from Brisbane that are fantastic for camping. You must try
Rainbow Beach for a night or three. Sunshine coast 2 hours North of
Brisbane.

Old February 14th, 2005, 09:02 AM
Freda

Most holiday parks have camping sites.
You can have powered or unpowered usually
They usually have camp kitchens as well.
The two main groups of these are
www.big4.com.au
www.toptouristparks.com.au
If you join their membership programs you get 10% discount on park fees.

Another is familyparks Australia (FPA)
http://www.familyparks.com.au/
Freda

Old February 14th, 2005, 09:27 AM
A Mate

There wouldn't be a city, town or village in Australia that doesn't have
camping facilities. They range in cost from totally free with no facilities
up to and including 5* camp sites with every community facility you could
ask for - and a price to pay!

Caravan Parks always have camp sites as well.

Most country towns have some sort of free camping place, usually with at
least a toilet block!

Old February 14th, 2005, 03:50 PM
Tom Johnstone

kerbear wrote:
My boyfriend and I are traveling to OZ in May, but we wanted to camp
more than pay for Hostels and Hotels. The only camp site we found in
the book "Lonely Planets guide" to OZ were on the Whitesundays islands.
Is this true? We certainly can't afford hotel stays every where we go.
We were thinking of using the Quantas airpass to arrive in Brisbane,
stay a few days go to Cairns, stay 5days, travel to Darwin and stay a
few days, and end up in Sydney. We are trying to keep the rental car
and hotel stays to a minimun. Does anybody have any suggestions??
Thanks-
Kernear

If you're a member of your local automobile association, you might be
able to get free camping guides from the state auto associations in
Australia:

Have a look here for guide information:

http://www.accommodationguide.com.au/

Many of the National Parks have camping areas, which range in facilities
and price. Just make sure to read up on the dos and don'ts of camping in
Australia. e.g. being very careful with fires and observing fire
restrictions.

Camping in Australia is fantastic - you'll love it.

Tom
Old February 14th, 2005, 09:31 PM
Geodyne

kerbear wrote in
:

My boyfriend and I are traveling to OZ in May, but we wanted to camp
more than pay for Hostels and Hotels. The only camp site we found in
the book "Lonely Planets guide" to OZ were on the Whitesundays
islands. Is this true? We certainly can't afford hotel stays every
where we go. We were thinking of using the Quantas airpass to arrive
in Brisbane, stay a few days go to Cairns, stay 5days, travel to
Darwin and stay a few days, and end up in Sydney. We are trying to
keep the rental car and hotel stays to a minimun. Does anybody have
any suggestions??

Lonely Planet is great if you want to stay in towns, but not so good if
you want to camp.

The others have given some very good advice, although it is best to camp
in designated camp sites when on the populated east coast of Queensland.
I would like to add that almost every National Park in Australia has at
least one camping site, although the level of facilities vary.

You can find information on the national parks he
http://www.epa.qld.gov.au/parks_and_...parks/forests/

On average, expect to pay around Au$10/night +- $2-3 for both of you for
a campsite, whether it be in a caravan park or a national park.

The trouble with camp sites is that you almost always need a car to get
to them. Am I reading your post right in that you're trying to limit the
amount of time you hire a car? Also, what sort of time frame are you
allowing for travel between towns? There is roughly 24 hours solid
travel time from Brisbane to Cairns (at least two day's drive direct
without stopping to look at anything), and many things worth looking at
along the way. From Cairns to Darwin it would take 40 hours solid
travel. The good news is that once you're on the way to Darwin and away
from population centres, camping gets much less controlled and you can
camp pretty much anywhere you like.

Camping is a great way to get around - it's my accomodation of
preference when travelling.

Geodyne
Old February 15th, 2005, 12:12 AM
stub50

I'm in Canada and this is a cool topic - I'm planning on being in Oz
this year, never thought of camping while there. I'm planning on
finding a book to borrow and read, the subject will be along the lines
of "Recognizing the animals, reptiles, insects and spiders that can
kill you or seriously hurt you in Australia" I figure if you're
going to camp or even step foot in Australia, you should become
familiar with it's environment and living organisms. Anybody know of a
good book?

I wonder if buses are a better option than renting a car (gas is
expensive in Oz, n'est-ce pas?)... the buses probably don't get you
near as many camp sites as a car would...

Old February 15th, 2005, 12:45 AM
Geodyne

"stub50" wrote in news:1108426378.168151.47210
@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

I'm in Canada and this is a cool topic - I'm planning on being in Oz
this year, never thought of camping while there. I'm planning on
finding a book to borrow and read, the subject will be along the lines
of "Recognizing the animals, reptiles, insects and spiders that can
kill you or seriously hurt you in Australia" I figure if you're
going to camp or even step foot in Australia, you should become
familiar with it's environment and living organisms. Anybody know of a
good book?

I wonder if buses are a better option than renting a car (gas is
expensive in Oz, n'est-ce pas?)... the buses probably don't get you
near as many camp sites as a car would...

It would be very difficult to rach most camp sites if travelling by bus and
often buses aren't that cheap. Petrol is relatively expensive, averaging Au
$1/litre (more in country areas, of course), but that cost is balanced by
savings on hotel rooms and convenience IME. Besides, camping is fun!

I applaud your desire to be familiar with the environment, but can't think
of a single book off the top of my head you could buy that cover all of the
animals you listed. To be honest, so long as you treat things with repspect
- check your shoes before you put them on, watch where you put your hands
and don't go chasing animals (especially snakes) in the Australian bush -
you really needn't worry too much about how venemous things are. I've spent
as much time as is practical in the bush for more than 30 years now, and
I've yet to be bitten or stung by anything. I feel so much safer in the
Aussie bush than in North America, because nothing here will hunt me!

H and I have been discussing putting together a web site profiling how we
go about camping for a while now...really should do something about that
one of these days. In the meantime, a google on "campsites Australia: turns
up a wealth of information.

Geodyne
Old February 15th, 2005, 04:05 AM
A Mate

Biteys and dangerous creepy crawlies are about - but, not so you'd notice.
Most of them are smallish and terrified that anything bigger than themselves
(viz -you) is out to eat them. If you actually step on one it might react -
otherwise not really a problem!

Petrol in Austr is about $1 a litre except in Qld, where it's about 90c a
litre. That's cheap by world standards, probably expensive by North American
standards though!

ups.com...

Old February 15th, 2005, 04:20 AM
Ken Pisichko

stub50 wrote:

I wonder if buses are a better option than renting a car (gas is
expensive in Oz, n'est-ce pas?)... the buses probably don't get you
near as many camp sites as a car would...

I also live in Canada and am planning a trip for a
return-to-OZ-and-explore-again session of about 2 months. This time I will
go by bicycle (hopefully with my 2 sons). There are lots of expolore type
books for the 4WD types. I intensively hitch-hiked OZ over 30 years ago.
Now it seems that going by bicycle will be the way to see the country
"close up" but slowly. Bus and train travel is not exactly a good way to
get to camp sites. Cars are expensive. Hitch hiking is much faster and
certainly cheaper, however there are those who don't like that kind of
travel. Cycling is slow - but you have to carry water and food etc.

With a bike even my boys see the utility of sleeping in a tent and surfing
for 2 weeks on very little cash (except for the cost of the board and wet
suit and lessons/coaching) as compared to sleeping in a hotel/motel and
driving a rented/purchased vehicle. C'est la vie!