Enough, already!!!!!!!

Old November 16th, 2012, 10:29 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tom P[_6_]

Default Enough, already!!!!!!!

On 11/16/2012 12:39 AM, Bill wrote:
On Thu, 15 Nov 2012 22:54:25 -0000, "JohnT"
wrote:

Not true. UK and Irish Citizens may travel freely without any identification
within the UK and Ireland.

Try traveling from the UK mainland to any part of the island of
Ireland without one and you'll find that you're wrong.

The carriers insist on passports...

Maybe a Brit can enlighten me.. if you fly between destinations within
mainland UK, don't you need to identify yourself when you check in?
What happens if you don't have a passport?

Old November 16th, 2012, 05:37 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim.....

wrote:

Not true. UK and Irish Citizens may travel freely without any
identification
within the UK and Ireland.

Try traveling from the UK mainland to any part of the island of
Ireland without one and you'll find that you're wrong.

The carriers insist on passports...

They might insist on ID, they don't insist on passports (though for most
people their passport id going to be the most useful ID that they have)

And in any case, it is certainly possible to travel from mainland UK to
Northern Ireland without a passport and then make a land crossing over the
border

tim

Old November 16th, 2012, 05:56 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim.....

"Rudi" wrote in message

Simon,
regarging this post, and your previous comment to my last
night's post:

On Fri, 16 Nov 2012 07:46:13 -0000, "simon calder"
wrote:

However, one thing, largely, travel between member states on 'mainland
Europe' is passport free - For Europeans.

No Simon,
it is not, and has not been, passport free. Only Border Control free.

As most people who have done this will have experienced, travel from
France
by vehicle onto ANY other member state generally does NOT encounter border
crossings where passports are required.

Yes, this is how it works in practice. However, no-one is exempt from
possessing a proof of citizenship, which must be shown upon request
from the authorities.

Airports may differ and to and from the UK you need your passport
(occassionally by Eurostar avoids checks ......since the debacle with MP
May
and the Passport Director it's tightened up)

Now this is another matter. Airlines are obligated to verify
travellers' eligibility to enter the host country before allowing
them to board the plane- failure to do so will cause the airline quite
heavy fines. Which means the airlines take the issue seriously.

And UK is not a special case in requiring passports from travellers-
point is that UK does not have a national identity card system,
unlike most other european countries, and therefore a passport
is the only legal travel document for UK citizens. A national driver's
licence will never do as an official travel document. Not UK, nor not
any other european countries', either.

I do grant that I am not familiar with practices regarging UK -Ireland
travel, however I do suspect that you are referring to travel within
UK (=to Northern Ireland), while direct ship routes to the Republic
of Ireland would fall into same category as any other european travel.
Please correct me if I have it wrong.

Nope.

The rules for crossing the border between the UK/Ireland are the same for
the sea crossing as they are for the land one. That is, no ID is required.

There is however (as per my other post), a completely different requirement
for the ship operator to have a list of passengers for safety reasons and
some form of ID is required whether the crossing is to the North or the
South, but a document much less secure than a passport is sufficient.

tim

Old November 29th, 2012, 06:01 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jean O'Boyle[_3_]

"tim....." wrote in message

m...

Bill wrote:
On Mon, 12 Nov 2012 14:38:25 -0700, "EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)"
wrote:
Whereas many of us go to Milan and Vienna and Paris for the opera and
classical music.

Are you prepared to define 'many' in terms of the overall population
of the USA?

No. (I was referring only to those of us who travel abroad.)

so you are saying that "many of the USAans who travel abroad do it because
they are Opera fans"?

I find that hard to believe.

tim

No, Tim, I have visited Europe eleven times and it was not because I was an
opera fan, although I did attend one in Vienna. It was to visit friends and
different sites. My parents were both born in Poland so we have been there
three times. This November, I will visit Portugal and Spain. More Americans
have passports than you might think...we have seven members in my family
alone who have one and I often travel with a group of friends who all have
passports.

--Jean

Old November 29th, 2012, 10:25 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Jean O'Boyle wrote:
"tim....." wrote in message
m...

wrote:
[...]

For once you and I agree, Jean! I never meant to imply that ALL
Americans were opera fans, simply that those of us who are find it a
good reason for travel to Europe. (Not all of us are so insular that we
don't want to experience other cultures, and travel to other countries
seems the best way to do that, don't you agree?)

Old November 30th, 2012, 10:09 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jean O'Boyle[_3_]

m...

Jean O'Boyle wrote:
"tim....." wrote in message
m...

wrote:
[...]

LOL! Evelyn, yes, we do agree on that issue! ;-)
It is necessary to own a passport to travel anywhere anymore, especially
outside of the continental USA. I belong to several travel and cruise groups
and we are always on the go!

--Jean

Old November 30th, 2012, 11:12 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Hatunen[_2_]

On Fri, 30 Nov 2012 15:09:07 -0600, "Jean O'Boyle"
wrote:

LOL! Evelyn, yes, we do agree on that issue! ;-)
It is necessary to own a passport to travel anywhere anymore, especially
outside of the continental USA. I belong to several travel and cruise groups
and we are always on the go!

We travel to Mexico frequently and never have to show the Mexican
authorities our passports. However, we do show them to the American
border personnel when returning.

Strictily speaking, as American citizens we don't need to have
passports to enter the USA, but it sure saves a lot of hassle.

Dave Hatunen
Viva Baja Arizona
Old December 1st, 2012, 12:40 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jean O'Boyle[_3_]

wrote:

LOL! Evelyn, yes, we do agree on that issue! ;-)
It is necessary to own a passport to travel anywhere anymore, especially
outside of the continental USA. I belong to several travel and cruise
groups
and we are always on the go!

We travel to Mexico frequently and never have to show the Mexican
authorities our passports. However, we do show them to the American
border personnel when returning.

Strictily speaking, as American citizens we don't need to have
passports to enter the USA, but it sure saves a lot of hassle.

Dave Hatunen
Viva Baja Arizona

Some of the cruise lines now require a passport...if you become ill or have
to be hospitalized and you are in a foreign country and need to fly
home...you will be in deep trouble trying to fly back into the United
States. Passports are the best way to go when you travel.

--Jean
San Antonio, Texas