Mariner of The Seas vs. Ocean Liners of The Past

Old January 2nd, 2005, 07:30 PM
*bicker*

A Sun, 02 Jan 2005 12:52:50 -0600, Lee La
escribió:
I love being on vacation and having to keep
my wallet open.

Better that than start off with an empty wallet...

--
bicker®

Old January 2nd, 2005, 08:29 PM
Surfer E2468

No it is not all about me,have had many,many people on cruises complain
about the same thing,they put in all these extra things and are doing
away with what cruising is supposed to be all about,being at sea,and
enjoying the view from a comfortable lounge on deck.It is all about
catering to the young credit card generation

Old January 2nd, 2005, 08:43 PM
RTCReferee

*bicker* wrote:

One of the things to keep in mind, when considering the
answers to your question, is that many cruise lines aren't
interested in providing an experience reminiscent of the
past. For example, there were no rock walls, rollerblade
tracks, or ice rinks on cruise ships of the past.

Our first cruise was in 1984. There was a jogging track on the top deck and a
large, separate volleyball court with scheduled games. We didn't care then (or
now) about jogging, but volleyball was definitely on our agenda.

I'm curious, when you speak of "the past," with regards to cruising, how far
back do you look?

Old January 2nd, 2005, 08:47 PM
Charles

In article , Surfer
E2468 wrote:

No it is not all about me,have had many,many people on cruises complain
about the same thing,they put in all these extra things and are doing
away with what cruising is supposed to be all about,being at sea,and
enjoying the view from a comfortable lounge on deck.It is all about
catering to the young credit card generation

You don't have to go near the ice rink or the rock climbing wall.

It is all about catering to the young credit card generation

Do you blame them for seeking to attract the next generation to
cruising? Someone will have to replace us after we are gone.

--
Charles
Old January 3rd, 2005, 02:09 AM
Benjamin Smith

Karen Segboer wrote:
(Surfer E2468) wrote:

No it is not all about me,have had many,many people on cruises complain
about the same thing,they put in all these extra things and are doing
away with what cruising is supposed to be all about,being at sea,and
enjoying the view from a comfortable lounge on deck.

You can still do that to your heart's content.

It is all about
catering to the young credit card generation.

Cruise companies are in the money-making business. They want to draw
as many of each generation as they can. Nothing wrong with that,
doesn't bother me, and it's smart on their part.

I find something wrong with an overemphasis on money making. I think
life is about balance, and humans can produce with a much wider scope
when money making is put into balance with other aspects of what is
produced, used by, and shared by other humans. I find that designing for
a steered majority often leads to mediocrity, I feel becoming more and
more rampant with each passing year. And I'd substitute effective for
smart, but when we deal with their interests, survival, and well being
for who they represent, far is quite an appropo term.

I'm not bothered as there's wisdom of the ages, practices of the ages,
many means to nuture the human spirit, and the world of commerce is what
it is. Those that are bothered by certain money-making practices and
trends and voice concerns are part of the give and take in the world of
providers and consumers.

Companies and commerce have been around a long time in many societies.
Cruise ships of previous eras were designed for commerce as well and
their Zeitgeist was at play. So, certain aspects I find attractive and
quite unattractive are present in those ships. Ships functioned
differently as ocean liners, as both transportation devices and leisure
vessels.

Mariner of the Seas is a very large ship with varied venues and
attractions. It was designed to be an evolution of the RCI type of
experience with a few touches that evoke of feeling of liners, but for
the most part are looking to lead in design for a current, broad
lifestyle of cruise customers.

Ben S.

Karen

http://www.cupcaked.com/reviews ®
(...and leave off the "potatoes" to e-mail)