Avoid Delta and Atlanta

Old July 23rd, 2006, 02:23 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
Dave Frightens Me

Default Draconian vacation policies for US slave workers

On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 20:45:10 +0800, Miguel Cruz
wrote:

Mxsmanic wrote:
Dave Frightens Me writes:
Why not move to a cooler city if it's a nightmare where you are?

I keep hoping the heat will let up. After all, it has only been like
this for the last decade. Historically Paris has been much cooler.
If certain ocean currents were displaced, the temperature might drop
by 10° C again, making it a cool city once more.

What are your plans for displacing these ocean currents?

Now here's a face that hasn't been around for a while! How are things,
Miguel?
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com
Old July 23rd, 2006, 02:24 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
Dave Frightens Me

On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 14:13:08 +0200, Mxsmanic
wrote:

Dave Frightens Me writes:

So you can't counter it without emotion?

My original argument did that, and he ignored it.

But what you wrote was crap, and didn't deserve a sensible response.
--
---
Old July 23rd, 2006, 04:00 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
Mimi[_1_]

"Miguel Cruz" wrote in message
Mxsmanic wrote:
Dave Frightens Me writes:
Why not move to a cooler city if it's a nightmare where you are?

I keep hoping the heat will let up. After all, it has only been like
this for the last decade. Historically Paris has been much cooler.
If certain ocean currents were displaced, the temperature might drop
by 10° C again, making it a cool city once more.

What are your plans for displacing these ocean currents?

miguel
--

Hey, Miguel, good to hear from you.

Marianne

Old July 23rd, 2006, 05:02 PM posted to rec.travel.air
[email protected][_1_]

On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 00:18:30 GMT, mrtravel
wrote:

How did the world manage before A/C?

We sweated a lot.
Old July 23rd, 2006, 05:32 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
Miguel Cruz

Dave Frightens Me wrote:
Miguel Cruz wrote:
What are your plans for displacing these ocean currents?

Now here's a face that hasn't been around for a while! How are things,
Miguel?

Not bad at all. Heartwarming to see the good fight is still being fought
in the trenches of rec.travel.europe, with so many familiar names still
in action. I'm a little saddened at all the mxsmaniacal wisdom I must
have missed lo these many months; I only happened to catch this one
because it was cross-posted to rec.travel.air.

miguel
--
Photos from 40 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu
Latest photos: Australia; Malaysia; Burma; Thailand; Hong Kong
Old July 23rd, 2006, 05:34 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
Miguel Cruz

Mxsmanic wrote:
Miguel Cruz writes:
What are your plans for displacing these ocean currents?

None, but some scientists say they may be displaced by global warming.
If they stop bringing warm water to Europe, the temperatures in Europe
might drop by 10° C.

Well, if you believe "some scientists" (and with credentials like that,
who wouldn't?) then it does seem to behoove you to start burning some
tires and kick the global warming into high gear. Let us know how it
goes.

miguel
Old July 23rd, 2006, 06:33 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
Dave Frightens Me

On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 00:32:51 +0800, Miguel Cruz
wrote:

Dave Frightens Me wrote:
Miguel Cruz wrote:
What are your plans for displacing these ocean currents?

Now here's a face that hasn't been around for a while! How are things,
Miguel?

Not bad at all. Heartwarming to see the good fight is still being fought
in the trenches of rec.travel.europe, with so many familiar names still
in action. I'm a little saddened at all the mxsmaniacal wisdom I must
have missed lo these many months; I only happened to catch this one
because it was cross-posted to rec.travel.air.

Where have you been visiting lately? Apparently not Europe, or you'd
be visiting rte more!

Me, I got married and moved to Italy, and am loving every baking
moment of summer!
--
---
Old July 23rd, 2006, 07:50 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
Carole Allen[_1_]

On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 18:03:49 +0200, Mxsmanic
wrote:
Just as heating is a necessity when the temperature is 4° C, A/C is a
necessity when the temperature is 36° C.

Well, it was 36.1 C in Seattle yesterday... with an inversion/stagnant
air, smog alert....I survived in my condo without AC (and due toits
configuration I don't get a cross-breeze). Our annual neighborhood
parade was yesterday as well (they go on all summer in different
neighborhoods - it's a Seattle thing leading up to the hydroplane
races in a few weeks) , and I didn't see anyone falling down with heat
exhaustion - not the flag bearers or the marching bands or the drill
teams, or the folks on the floats... though they did have people
misting them with water from spray bottles...

Today it is currently about 29C, but predicted to get to 33C..humidity
about 44% now ... seemed a bit muggier yesterday. I'm looking at the
trees across the street; still very little breeze out there...
Old July 24th, 2006, 02:49 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
Jeff Hacker

"Iceman" wrote in message
oups.com...

Dave Frightens Me wrote:
On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 02:49:50 +0200, Mxsmanic
wrote:

Dave Frightens Me writes:

Your logic is broken. No-one said anything about heating.

You say that education can compensate for excessive heat. Logically,
then, education can also compensate for excessive cold. Thus, there's
no more need for heating systems than there is for air conditioning
systems.

As cold does not mean hot, your logic is broken.

Believe it or not, they are two very different things.

Heating is a necessity. Air conditioning is a luxury.

You obviously don't live in Texas - it has been over 100F/40C for the past
two weeks straight. Air Conditioning in NOT a luxury here.

Old July 24th, 2006, 03:19 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
nobody[_1_]

Jeff Hacker wrote:
You obviously don't live in Texas - it has been over 100F/40C for the past
two weeks straight. Air Conditioning in NOT a luxury here.

You *can* die from heat. You WILL die from cold.

In heat, you can survive without air conditioning. Drink lots, have a
fan, dress properly. No problem. If you turn off your air conditioning
and follow the above, you will have gotten used to it within days. The
human body is built to have its own cooling (it is called sweat). And
you can survive even when outside temperature exceeds body temperature.

In cold, if you do not have proper clothing, you will die and/or lose
limbs to frostbite. And you still need to drink and eat properly. And
remember that at night, you need extra warm sleeping bag because your
metabolism slows down and you generate less heat.

It is easier to learn to survive in heat than in cold.

At 40°C, you are only 20 degrees from optimal temperature. But at -20°,
you are 40 degrees from optimal comfort temperature.