Oregon / Wash Road trips - advice on length of time ?

Old October 15th, 2007, 10:39 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
- Bobb -[_2_]

Default Oregon / Wash Road trip details

Here's the route that I ended up taking - by no means DIRECT,
but a gorgeous drive ! Goggle shows 1757 miles : I actually drove a little
more than 2500 ... I don't remember getting THAT lost.
Thanks to everyone for all the things to do/see.
About halfway into the trip I knew .. not enough time for all of this - I
will definitely come back to do the rest.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=e...04785&z=7&om=1

Bobb
( home now )

-Bobb- wrote:
Columbia River Gorge

Don't miss the world class Maryhill Museum of Art and the nearby
Stonehenge. In a nearby town is the world's largest collection of
rosaries -- incredibly fascinating!

Oregon Caves

Wonderful!

Crater Lake park

The most beautiful natural sight I've ever seen!

quoted text -

( I'll have to try teranews - posting on the road is apparently an
issue with my ISP, so I had to make-up a spam account at google)

UPDATE from the road ...
Summary so far:
1. Columbia Gorge. Amazing that 30 minutes outside of airport I can be
seeing waterfalls. ( Hotel was very nice, but surprised it was on the
list of " 1,000 places to visit before you die" . It wasn't THAT nice.
http://www.columbiagorgehotel.com/ )

2. Mt St Helens - spent entire day there. (then forecast was for bad
weather, so headed south again) ( Days Inn nearby)

3. Mt Hood (Loved the Timberline hotel - but it was full the day I was
there with a wedding, so stayed at a Best Western )

4. Crater Lake ( hotel was full so stayed at Prospect hotel B&B - it
was great)

http://www.prospecthotel.com/

5. Oregon Caves . I DID stay there - loved the Chateau - vintage
1930. Steam radiators, one AC outlet per room - and the 2 lights were
plugged into it. BIG
beams cut from local trees - railings from branches, etc ...
wonderful.

http://ivcdo.projecta.com/SectionIndex.asp?SectionID=2

6. California Redwoods drive , then did a U-turn to start northern
coastal part
of trip.

Great drive again today: from Brookings,OR to Yachats,OR
The first part had great scenery /beaches. I didn't think I was ever
going to make any time if stopping to enjoy the view every 3 miles,
but eventually I got
to the Oregon Dunes Nat'l park. No need for me to stop there, and
while driving by it ( for miles) I had no ocean views but GREAT
winding roads - fun driving.
Hardly anyone on the roads ( midweek) so driving is a lot of fun ...
miss something? - do a U-turn in middle of highway and go back.... no
slow-pokes.
And they have a passing lane every 5 miles or so, so if we did catch
up to someone, could pass them shortly. Tonight at
http://www.adoberesort.com

( $63 for a room - right on the ocean !!!! )

Great location--we had Sunday brunch at the Adobe. We stayed 1 couple of
miles south of Yachats, at the Shamrock Lodgettes..or some such similar
name--got such a cheap price we felt we were almost stealing and
...right on the ocean!! Maybe a lot of Oregonians don't realize what
a Nirvana they have right on their OWN door stoep??

I watched the sunset ... tried to see the green flash - Nope ! Not
again this time.

Tomorrow will be in Northern Oregon then WA. heading north eventually
to Northwestern most point of US. I was speaking to another traveler
who said that there Is a marker there to identify it and it is
accessible. On a map it looks like reservation so I wasn't sure. Then
on to Olympic Natl Park - then Mt Rainier.

As for Mt Ranier ... does it matter which way I approach it ( north/
west ?). Any advantage to approaching Mt Ranier from one side or
another ? ( trying to save a drive all the way around the mountain to
see something that I SHOULD see.) I found at Crater Lake that I came
in North (12 o'clock position)- went clockwise and not until I went
3/4 of the way around did I see " the expected view". I almost drove
out at "Rim Exit" (7 o'clock position) but figured "I'll do the rest".
THEN I saw the clear blue views.

According to the locals in the Cascades, the northern coast of OR is
supposed to be even more scenic then the southern half so I'm looking
forward to it.

I've got 6 more days here - hopefully enough time to do it all. If
not, I'll skip seeing Seattle and/or Portland/ Stonehenge etc.

I've loved the scenery and the mountain drives ! That's really why I'm
here this time.
Bobb